Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 08 Nov 2017 (Wednesday) 18:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

6D LCD Screen

chunchma
223 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Nov 08, 2017 18:30 |  #1

I am a novice, I have a question regarding the LCD screen. I took some nice pics at least they looked very good on the LCD screen on the camera. When I transferred them to the computer they did not looks so good some looked darker and the lighting was off as compared to the LCD on the camera.

Now I'm questioning my lighting knowledge (aperture/shutter speed). Is the LCD on the camera accurate or do I go by how they appear on the computer?

Thanks,

Novice Ned

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 9 days ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 08, 2017 18:33 |  #2

The lcd can be made bright or dim and has nothing to do with your actual photo exposure. I would suggest using the histogram to watch your exposure, it is the only real tool you have in camera to gauge exposure.

https://digital-photography-school.com ...-read-and-use-histograms/ (external link)

https://www.lightandma​tter.org ...y/reading-your-histogram/ (external link)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

chunchma
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Nov 08, 2017 18:41 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #3

Thank you

Petie53
345 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Nov 09, 2017 06:43 |  #4

I believe the image shown on the back screen is a JPEG version of what was just shot. So if you are shooting RAW pictures what you see on your computer screen will be unprocessed uncorrected images. I shoot both JPEG and RAW as I am terrible at processing so save the RAWS for the future if my skills ever developed. Several of the in camera settings affect the JPEG images.

Pete
6D, 60D, EOS-M, EOS-M3, 22M, 11-22M, 18-55M, 55-200M, 15L 2.8 fisheye, 10-22 EFS, 35 F/2 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70L 2.8 II, 70-300L, 100-400L II

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 9 days ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 09, 2017 07:24 |  #5

Petie53 wrote in post #18492480 (external link)
I believe the image shown on the back screen is a JPEG version of what was just shot. So if you are shooting RAW pictures what you see on your computer screen will be unprocessed uncorrected images. I shoot both JPEG and RAW as I am terrible at processing so save the RAWS for the future if my skills ever developed. Several of the in camera settings affect the JPEG images.

Raw files are not viewable, they are always processed, whether in-camera by Canon's software or DPP for the raw, or LR. You are always seeing some form of a processed raw when viewing on any device.

The question here though is that the LCD brightness is obviously set pretty high giving a false impression of the actual exposure. The LCD should not be used for gauging exposure. In fact, I usually set my LCD a bit lower anyways to make sure, but the histogram is the only way in-camera to measure your exposure.

That histogram does, however, reflect the JPG result, so picture styles, etc all can have an impact on that histogram, but it is still the only real tool to use for exposure, the LCD isn't.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Nov 09, 2017 07:30 |  #6

I have the brightness on mine set at zero.....that is, in the center. I also use a calibrated monitor at home and my files look pretty much as I see them in the field.

Is your monitor calibrated? Might make a difference. Seems to for me.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

sponsored links

381 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D LCD Screen
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.