Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 07 Nov 2017 (Tuesday) 09:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lightroom CC and local only?

deronsizemore
Joined Dec 2010
Nov 07, 2017 09:18 |  #1

So I pay for the Adobe Photography plan and I got the notice for the new Adobe CC update. I downloaded and installed it and am confused. I'm hoping someone here can explain like I've five since I haven't been able to track down an answer yet.

I'm not interested in anything cloud based with Lightroom. I have zero need to view or edit photos on other machines or on a mobile device. I only want to use the program locally and save photos locally. Is that just not possible now? Are they forcing you to upload everything to their cloud service before you can use Lightroom CC? I see that I can import existing photos into the program but without being able to import the catalog data (which holds all of my prior edits on raw photos, correct?) all of the photos I import will be straight out of camera with no edits which I don't want.

I have to assume Adobe isn't completely screwing people like myself to only are interested in using the program locally, but it's looking more and more like that's the case.

http://www.famsnap.com (external link)
5DMII | Canon 40 f/2.8 STM | Canon 84mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC USD
500px (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,367 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Gesher Haziv, Israel
Nov 07, 2017 11:05 |  #2

What you want is Lightroom Classic CC. Not - repeat, not - Lightroom CC.

https://laurashoe.com ...room-classic-lightroom-6/ (external link)
http://www.photoshopfo​rphotographers.com/lig​htroom/LRCCC.pdf (external link)

"I have to assume Adobe isn't completely screwing people like myself to only are interested in using the program locally, but it's looking more and more like that's the case."

A little web reading should make all clear.

Elie / אלי

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,098 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been last edited 14 days ago by digital paradise. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 07, 2017 11:18 |  #3

So I assume you have the CC dialogue app that tells you which apps are downloaded or not. You don't have to download anything you don't want.

I downloaded LR CC Classic and PS CC. LR CC Classic which is version 7 is subscription that can use both local and cloud storage. I never plan to use cloud so I never even looked to see how to do that.

LR CC which is version 1 is the new mobile app and all cloud based. I never downloaded it because I have no interest.

I decided to keep both stand alone LR6 and PS just in case I changed my mind about subscription. There will be no more updates for LR6 in 2018. It was showing me an update for LR6 so I did it because I wanted the final updates before years end. It morphed into LR CC (2015) which was the older LR subscription model - version 6. I guess that happened because I'm now a subscription customer.

LR CC Classic is the new release which is version 7 and the only one I am using.

If you drop your subscription you can still use LR CC Classic forever. You lose the Develop and Map modules and Sync features.

Since my LR6 morphed into LR CC (2015) the same thing will happen if I drop the subscription. It is easy to get LR6 back but I just have not gotten around to it.

I did not update LR6 on my laptop because it will also morph into LR CC (2015) so I keep getting an update warning which I ignore.

I noticed that before I updated LR6 on my iMac when I clicked on "Update All" it started to download LR CC (2105) so I had to hit the X to stop it. The work around is to click on the 3 bullets in the right upper corner and it will tell you what is up to date and you can choose what you want to do.

Click on Check for App Updates.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,098 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Nov 07, 2017 11:22 |  #4

Oh yeah. And for some reason I keep getting an update warning on my iMac about PS CS6 and there are no updates available. Not sure why and I ignore that too.

Image Editing OK

deronsizemore
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2010
Nov 07, 2017 12:04 |  #5

tzalman wrote in post #18490844 (external link)
What you want is Lightroom Classic CC. Not - repeat, not - Lightroom CC.

https://laurashoe.com ...room-classic-lightroom-6/ (external link)
http://www.photoshopfo​rphotographers.com/lig​htroom/LRCCC.pdf (external link)

"I have to assume Adobe isn't completely screwing people like myself to only are interested in using the program locally, but it's looking more and more like that's the case."

A little web reading should make all clear.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking based on what I found online but I kept telling myself that there's no way there's a new version out and Adobe isn't going to allow non-cloud usage. I wanted to use the latest CC version because it's got an updated interface and I assume updated features vs the older one I've been used to using but I guess it's a moot point since I can't use it without the cloud stuff. Just doesn't seem to make any sense to me why you'd release a new version but make it ONLY cloud based and have no option for folks who aren't interested in that. Just shady if you ask me. It seems they are slowly trying to force you into a cloud only solution going forward which sucks. I have a feeling LR Classic in a year or so will probably no longer be supported and you'll be forced to go CC or to find another solution.

digital paradise wrote in post #18490859 (external link)
So I assume you have the CC dialogue app that tells you which apps are downloaded or not. You don't have to download anything you don't want.

I downloaded LR CC Classic and PS CC. LR CC Classic which is version 7 is subscription that can use both local and cloud storage. I never plan to use cloud so I never even looked to see how to do that.

LR CC which is version 1 is the new mobile app and all cloud based. I never downloaded it because I have no interest.

I decided to keep both stand alone LR6 and PS just in case I changed my mind about subscription. There will be no more updates for LR6 in 2018. It was showing me an update for LR6 so I did it because I wanted the final updates before years end. It morphed into LR CC (2015) which was the older LR subscription model - version 6. I guess that happened because I'm now a subscription customer.

LR CC Classic is the new release which is version 7 and the only one I am using.

If you drop your subscription you can still use LR CC Classic forever. You lose the Develop and Map modules and Sync features.

Since my LR6 morphed into LR CC (2015) the same thing will happen if I drop the subscription. It is easy to get LR6 back but I just have not gotten around to it.

I did not update LR6 on my laptop because it will also morph into LR CC (2015) so I keep getting an update warning which I ignore.

I noticed that before I updated LR6 on my iMac when I clicked on "Update All" it started to download LR CC (2105) so I had to hit the X to stop it. The work around is to click on the 3 bullets in the right upper corner and it will tell you what is up to date and you can choose what you want to do.

Click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks for all that info. I actually have both versions installed currently but never could figure out how to use only local storage for CC (which is why I'm here) so I've never done anything with it. Sounds like I just need to remove the program and continue with Classic

digital paradise wrote in post #18490859 (external link)

Wait... so you're saying if I stop payment on my Photography plan with Adobe I an continue to use Classic forever just without those modules? I guess for me that doesn't really matter since I'm mainly using LR for the develop module anyway.

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,098 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been edited 14 days ago by digital paradise.
Nov 07, 2017 12:14 |  #6

deronsizemore wrote in post #18490913 (external link)
Thanks. That's what I was thinking based on what I found online but I kept telling myself that there's no way there's a new version out and Adobe isn't going to allow non-cloud usage. I wanted to use the latest CC version because it's got an updated interface and I assume updated features vs the older one I've been used to using but I guess it's a moot point since I can't use it without the cloud stuff. Just doesn't seem to make any sense to me why you'd release a new version but make it ONLY cloud based and have no option for folks who aren't interested in that. Just shady if you ask me. It seems they are slowly trying to force you into a cloud only solution going forward which sucks. I have a feeling LR Classic in a year or so will probably no longer be supported and you'll be forced to go CC or to find another solution.

Thanks for all that info. I actually have both versions installed currently but never could figure out how to use only local storage for CC (which is why I'm here) so I've never done anything with it. Sounds like I just need to remove the program and continue with Classic

Wait... so you're saying if I stop payment on my Photography plan with Adobe I an continue to use Classic forever just without those modules? I guess for me that doesn't really matter since I'm mainly using LR for the develop module anyway.

No problem. It is little confusing at first. They put stuff out to explain things but some like me don't read
it :-)

That is where they get and you really can't blame Adobe. At least you don't lose your work. You can go back 5 years later and export something if you need to. That was decent of them.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,098 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Nov 07, 2017 12:21 |  #7

Don't forget about your free website you get with Portfolio.

Image Editing OK

deronsizemore
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2010
Nov 07, 2017 14:48 |  #8

digital paradise wrote in post #18490926 (external link)
Don't forget about your free website you get with Portfolio.

Luckily I've been a web designer/developer for around 10 years so I got that part of it handled if I need one. ;)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,098 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Nov 07, 2017 17:43 |  #9

Maybe can help me out. Don't spend a lot of times on this. I just need a few hints. I have been searching for the answer.

I set my site up but before populating it I want to see of I can fix something. It looked good on my iMac (first image) but not great on mobile devices. I then tried to simulate it for this post and when I shrunk the browser window on my iMac it looks the same as on the mobile. Second image.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,098 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been last edited 13 days ago by digital paradise. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 07, 2017 17:45 |  #10

I have been through everything but there are all these scales, borders, etc. I don't need a lesson as it will probably take too much time. What I am looking for to get it to scale properly. This is not that important as the images themselves come out OK.

HOSTED PHOTO

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,098 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Nov 08, 2017 01:58 |  #11

I figured it out. I was using gallery background instead of page cover. Now it scales.

Image Editing OK

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Nov 08, 2017 02:58 |  #12

deronsizemore wrote in post #18490913 (external link)
.....I wanted to use the latest CC version because it's got an updated interface and I assume updated features vs the older one I've been used to using but I guess it's a moot point since I can't use it without the cloud stuff.

you assume wrong. Lightroom CC does NOT have updated features. It is just a newer version of the Lightroom mobile app which now also works on your desktop PC but with less features than regular Lightroom (and is cloud based).

Lightroom Classic is the regular desktop Lightroom you know and love, which does not require syncing to the cloud - is desktop based and does have new features. It is faster than the previous version of LR at importing, exporting and switching between modules - plus it has a new masking option for the local adjustment tools.

Forget Lightroom CC - focus on Lightroom Classic.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

deronsizemore
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2010
Nov 08, 2017 12:08 |  #13

digital paradise wrote in post #18491537 (external link)
I figured it out. I was using gallery background instead of page cover. Now it scales.

Sorry, just saw this. Glad you got it sorted out.

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18491560 (external link)
you assume wrong. Lightroom CC does NOT have updated features. It is just a newer version of the Lightroom mobile app which now also works on your desktop PC but with less features than regular Lightroom (and is cloud based).

Lightroom Classic is the regular desktop Lightroom you know and love, which does not require syncing to the cloud - is desktop based and does have new features. It is faster than the previous version of LR at importing, exporting and switching between modules - plus it has a new masking option for the local adjustment tools.

Forget Lightroom CC - focus on Lightroom Classic.

Thanks. So Lightroom CC for non-mobile just has a new UI then but not new features?

I'll stick with Classic. Works well for my needs anyway

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Nov 08, 2017 23:04 |  #14

deronsizemore wrote in post #18491893 (external link)
Thanks. So Lightroom CC for non-mobile just has a new UI then but not new features?

Not sure if it has more features than the previous mobile app but it has less features than Classic. It is for users with under-powered desktop machines/tablets

Classic is the proper Desktop version of Lightroom (and I believe can still sync images to mobile using Smart Previews).

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

deronsizemore
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2010
Nov 09, 2017 07:55 |  #15

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18492364 (external link)
Not sure if it has more features than the previous mobile app but it has less features than Classic. It is for users with under-powered desktop machines/tablets

Classic is the proper Desktop version of Lightroom (and I believe can still sync images to mobile using Smart Previews).

Gotcha. Thanks. Well in that case, I wish I could user it even more now as I'm using an older mac that's starting to show signs of its age and I think having a stripped down version would help in that regard, but it's a moot point I guess since you can't only use it locally. It appeared that I could import all my photos into CC, but I wouldn't have any of my edits as the catalog data wouldn't be imported. Oh well, no biggy. Thanks!

sponsored links

987 views & 2 likes for this thread
Lightroom CC and local only?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.