Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 29 Oct 2017 (Sunday) 12:25
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Suggestions Please on Which Lens(s)

Bogino
Joined Sep 2011
Southern California
Oct 29, 2017 12:25 |  #1

Will be traveling to Switzerland & Germany during the beginning of December and plan to photograph landscape images similar to the one depicted in this example of Grindelwald. It's not a "photo expedition" per se but would like to get in some decent photo taking while at the same time not lugging around a lot of heavy gear. As it stands right now, I have a Tokina 11 - 16 wide angle as well as a Tamron 24-70 which I use as an "all purpose" type lens. Logic would seem to dictate that for landscape I would be better off with the Tokina but then I could be giving up certain other all purpose possibilities by leaving the Tamron 24-70 behind. Any suggestions between these options or is their possibly another 3rd option which I may not be aware of? Thank You.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 29, 2017 12:31 |  #2

Heya,

You will find that if you're on a mountain top, taking photos like you posted, sometimes are done with telephoto, and not ultrawide angles. Depends how close you are going to be, etc.

Most places, other than landscape, are going to be close quarter. Also, 24mm on a crop is not wide for a lot of things in small places, let alone grabbing big landscapes (though you can do panoramas to make up for that).

I think I'd take the 11-16 or Canon's 10-18 (wider and longer, cheap!). I'd probably leave the 24-70 at home (again as this is on an APS-C). I would probably take a small fast prime though, for good measure, like a 40 STM or 50 STM or something small and light if you have one laying around.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Denver
Nov 02, 2017 23:00 |  #3

I borrowed a 11-16 and found it so wide and of such a limited zoom range that I only used it a few times. Looks like you'll be taking mountain photos, that lens is going to make those mountains look like little mole hills. I think the 24-70 would be the choice. Either way you probably miss a few shots, but I think far fewer with the 24-70. I have a 15-85 that is sharp, mostly, and has a nice range, if you want another option.

Flickrexternal link

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Nov 03, 2017 02:03 |  #4

Go with the tamron - it gives you more flexibility. First, there are more then mountains to take pictures of and secondly, it is easier to take a panorama with a tight lens then a close up with a wide lens. And there is also the (considerable) possibility that the weather is not very well suited for landscape shots.

Donate if you love POTN

Bogino
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2011
Southern California
Nov 04, 2017 09:01 |  #5

Alternatively I just had another thought. I also own a Canon 24-105 although my daughter hijacked it a year ago however I can easily get that back. Perhaps the 24-105 might even be better than the Tamron 24-70 besides the fact that it also weighs less. Thoughts?

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Nov 04, 2017 12:12 |  #6

Probably you should go with the Canon as it gives you more flexibility. I personally still would take the tamron, just because I like the picture quality and the possibility to open up to 2.8.

Donate if you love POTN

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,910 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Nov 05, 2017 08:19 |  #7

I think you may find that a longer lens will be very useful. Wide angle shots of mountains often exaggerate the foreground at the expense of the landscape. I would suggest a 70-200.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
5,110 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Nov 09, 2017 08:12 |  #8

From what you listed, 24-105 would be the most useful.

kmilo
162 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Albany, NY
Post has been last edited 8 days ago by kmilo. 4 edits done in total.
Nov 09, 2017 08:21 |  #9

If I had to choose just one lens, I'd go wide.

Edit to add: I'm not in love with the 24-70 range on a crop camera. It's not particularly wide or long. I've landed myself on the Canon 18-135 STM and I like the quality and better range so much, I think it's worth it even though it's a slower lens.

Kris
I can barely afford this hobby. flickr (external link)

sponsored links

304 views & 0 likes for this thread
Suggestions Please on Which Lens(s)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.