Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Nov 09, 2017 07:52 |  #7081

and this is why I need to have my sensor cleaned...it is almost unusable right now at anything greater than f5.6...more than that and I spend more time cloning spots than I do shooting, editing or posting...its ridiculous...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
California
Nov 09, 2017 08:12 |  #7082

i thought it's a milkyway tight crop. lol

VINZ - SONY A7RII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE3514 | FE1635F4 |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Nov 09, 2017 08:20 |  #7083

vinmunoz wrote in post #18492526 (external link)
i thought it's a milkyway tight crop. lol

LOL...yeah, Looks like astro!

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,709 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Nov 09, 2017 08:21 |  #7084

TRhoads wrote in post #18492517 (external link)
and this is why I need to have my sensor cleaned...it is almost unusable right now at anything greater than f5.6...more than that and I spend more time cloning spots than I do shooting, editing or posting...its ridiculous...
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by TRhoads in
./showthread.php?p=184​92517&i=i34732281
forum: Sony Cameras

lol, that's why learning yourself has it's advantages. The sensor cover is like 2mm thick, so it's not like it will immediately ruin if you touch it.

see here: https://kolarivision.c​om ...lter-legacy-lens-upgrade/ (external link)

one day it may be clean, and the next dirty, what to do? A blower can only do so much, then a brush, and wet. I havent wet cleaned for a long time because I've been shooting two bodies, so it keeps my sensor clean, and been around water often, dont want to risk the lens changes if I can avoid it.

DO NOT use a lens pen as some on FM have suggested. I did that and it scuffed up my sensor, granted, the scuffs dont show up, but the spots do, so not a big deal. Oh, and it's on my legacy A7r.

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Nov 09, 2017 08:33 |  #7085

Charlie wrote in post #18492536 (external link)
lol, that's why learning yourself has it's advantages. The sensor cover is like 2mm thick, so it's not like it will immediately ruin if you touch it.

see here: https://kolarivision.c​om ...lter-legacy-lens-upgrade/ (external link)

one day it may be clean, and the next dirty, what to do? A blower can only do so much, then a brush, and wet. I havent wet cleaned for a long time because I've been shooting two bodies, so it keeps my sensor clean, and been around water often, dont want to risk the lens changes if I can avoid it.

DO NOT use a lens pen as some on FM have suggested. I did that and it scuffed up my sensor, granted, the scuffs dont show up, but the spots do, so not a big deal. Oh, and it's on my legacy A7r.

I am confused, clearly still tired today...the sensor cover...is that something you added...that link? I have a Rocket Blower, and it does good on loose stuff...have not dared to put a brush to it and would never use a lens pen.

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Nov 09, 2017 08:38 |  #7086

Charlie wrote in post #18492536 (external link)

Yes on top of the sensor is basically glass, so it's not as scary as people think. Funny story....a couple weeks back during a wedding I was changing lenses and my finger slipped. I put a freaking finger print on the sensor! But I keep sensor swabs, solution, and these white gloves that came with the xplor600 in my bag and was able to clean it in a jiffy.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,709 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Nov 09, 2017 09:00 |  #7087

TRhoads wrote in post #18492546 (external link)
I am confused, clearly still tired today...the sensor cover...is that something you added...that link? I have a Rocket Blower, and it does good on loose stuff...have not dared to put a brush to it and would never use a lens pen.

the actual sensor lies beneath the sensor cover. When you're cleaning a sensor, you're technically cleaning the sensor cover. My old A7r has light scuffs on the sensor cover from wreckless cleaning, and I post photos from it all the time, non corrected (doesnt show up).

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,880 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Nov 09, 2017 09:06 |  #7088

TMaG82 wrote in post #18492490 (external link)
Love it! My favorite ballpark in America, wish I could go to it more often.

My dad helped build Dodger Stadium. He was a crane operator setting precast concrete panels and risers. He may have operated the crane below.

Image from:

https://www.kcet.org ...s-to-build-dodger-stadium (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Nov 09, 2017 09:12 |  #7089

mystik610 wrote in post #18492548 (external link)
Yes on top of the sensor is basically glass, so it's not as scary as people think. Funny story....a couple weeks back during a wedding I was changing lenses and my finger slipped. I put a freaking finger print on the sensor! But I keep sensor swabs, solution, and these white gloves that came with the xplor600 in my bag and was able to clean it in a jiffy.

ah...that makes me feel a little better...I know it has been discussed before, but what little swabs do you use? not wet I assume?

Charlie wrote in post #18492567 (external link)
the actual sensor lies beneath the sensor cover. When you're cleaning a sensor, you're technically cleaning the sensor cover. My old A7r has light scuffs on the sensor cover from wreckless cleaning, and I post photos from it all the time, non corrected (doesnt show up).

now I get it...glad to hear its not the actual sensor that is the first line of defense...

navydoc wrote in post #18492570 (external link)
My dad helped build Dodger Stadium. He was a crane operator setting precast concrete panels and risers. He may have operated the crane below.

Image from:

Dude...you have the most interesting history as part of who you are...you should write a book about it.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Nov 09, 2017 09:14 |  #7090

navydoc wrote in post #18492570 (external link)

Image from:

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by navydoc in
./showthread.php?p=184​92570&i=i165512145
forum: Sony Cameras

Very cool Gene, and nice to hear you say concrete and not cement! (I think you may have commented on that with me before)

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 15 | Zeiss Loxia 21 | Samyang 24 | Contax Zeiss 100-300
Sony 28 | Sony/Zeiss 55 | Zeiss Batis 85 | Sony 90 Macro

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Nov 09, 2017 09:15 |  #7091

Another photo recreation here from me (sorry there is likely going to be a few if these with my fav shots of callum)

Isla today

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4530/38254639222_b7a6c31bf2_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/21hr​2td] (external link)Isla - 09.11.17 (external link) by xpfloyd (external link), on Flickr

Callum 2013

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5535/9246374285_b5b7660740_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/f655​Wi] (external link)2/52 - Callum - 09.07.13 (external link) by xpfloyd (external link), on Flickr

x100F | α7R II

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,880 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Nov 09, 2017 09:21 |  #7092

TRhoads wrote in post #18492573 (external link)
Dude...you have the most interesting history as part of who you are...you should write a book about it.

Thanks. I have written about my time in the Navy and would love to write a story about what I've discovered about my family while researching my family tree. I just wish I were a better writer and had more patience.

My Navy story in case anyone is curious:

http://www.ussoriskany​.us/recollections/inde​x.html (external link)

A shot of my dad, probably taken in the 1950's

IMAGE: http://www.ussoriskany.us/Snapshots/content/images/large/wayne-operating-crane.jpg

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,880 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Nov 09, 2017 09:32 |  #7093

xpfloyd wrote in post #18492576 (external link)
Very cool Gene, and nice to hear you say concrete and not cement! (I think you may have commented on that with me before)

Thanks Eddie. Yep, I'm very familiar with concrete...and cement having worked with both for the past 20 plus years of my working life. I even have a spreadsheet I made to create mix designs. It automatically plugs in the correct specific gravity of the materials used for unit weight. It's tied into a material cost list to calculate the price per cu/yd too. :-)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Nov 09, 2017 09:38 |  #7094

navydoc wrote in post #18492588 (external link)
Thanks Eddie. Yep, I'm very familiar with concrete...and cement having worked with both for the past 20 plus years of my working life. I even have a spreadsheet I made to create mix designs. It automatically plugs in the correct specific gravity of the materials used for unit weight. It's tied into a material cost list to calculate the price per cu/yd too. :-)

Sounds right up my street haha. It always bugs me when I hear people on tv calling concrete cement. It’s like calling it aggregate or water.

x100F | α7R II

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Nov 09, 2017 10:22 |  #7095

TRhoads wrote in post #18492573 (external link)
ah...that makes me feel a little better...I know it has been discussed before, but what little swabs do you use? not wet I assume?

I use these

https://www.amazon.com ...T=_SY300_QL70_&dpSr​c=srch (external link)

The swabs themselves are dry, but if I have a gnarly blemish (like that finger print) that a dry swab can't get off, I put a drop of the solution onto one of the swabs and gently run it over the sensor. Then use a second dry swab off any residual fluid...its usually just really fine drops that are picked up easily by the dry swab.

Usually a dry swab is all I need to clean the sensor though.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

sponsored links

253,175 views & 14010 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.