Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

basketballfreak6
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Nov 01, 2017 18:26 |  #5116

i've been really unlucky with my 5D4, first copy (very first shipment) had issues where all my canon lenses (ironically the sigma somehow fared better) would front focus using outer AF points, once that was fixed i noticed when in live view there would be a blue strip on top and bottom of lcd...and later on started seeing "bands" across the screen with what looks like interference and it would actually show up in the videos...got that body replaced after going back and forth to canon for months

second body i had the occasional body won't turn on after going to sleep situation and also occasionally lenses won't auto focus...like it won't drive the lens, turning it on/off won't work (with the failure to wake up after going to sleep) i had to physically remove then reinsert battery for it to start again, it was fixed when the PCB was replaced

but now i've noticed and confirmed (i noticed it this even before the PCB was replaced) with my second body is that when i do long exposure (and not even that long, like 2 mins) the images would be glittered with what looks like dark current noise...before it would only show up in the shadow areas and if i pushed the files a little (not much, even just 1-2 stops) but few nights ago when i went out to shoot sunset i can just start to make out the specks even just opening up the raw file in lightroom having done no processing...a 1-2 stop push would make it to glaringly obvious even in some midtone areas

i've sent raw files to Canon for them to have a look hopefully hear back from them soon, it's so frustrating because when it works it's a brilliant camera

first time being early adopter as well...my 5D3 i picked up after a year and half after release whereas my 5D4 i picked up on release day paying full price :cry:

https://www.instagram.​com/tony.liu.photograp​hy/ (external link)
flickr (external link)
https://500px.com/tony​_liu_photography (external link)
5DIV, 5DIII, modified 760D, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L II f/2.8, 70-200L IS II f/2.8, S150-600 f/5-6.3 SPORT, S14 f/1.8 ART, S50 f/1.4 ART, S135 f/1.8 ART, 100L IS Macro f/2.8

sponsored links
71sbeetle
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Nov 01, 2017 18:29 as a reply to basketballfreak6's post |  #5117

well I spoke too soon. Used my camera today as a walk around camera and so it was able to go to sleep mode several times, it took from 3 to as much as 12 seconds to wake from sleep .......

gareymartin.comexternal link
flickrexternal link
gear list | CPS.
eBayexternal link | POTN
VWVortexexternal link

artsf
Joined Sep 2015
Nov 01, 2017 20:59 |  #5118

The metering is linked to AF point in LV. 5div has excellent DPAF sytem, I don’t use VF as much anymore.

71sbeetle wrote in post #18486367 (external link)
I had both and I made my choice, to me the 5D4 was a lot more bang for the buck, the only extras I could use from the 1DX2 was the spot metering linked to focusing point, the high ISO performance was not that noticeable if at all in my case, and the 14fps while it's cool I don't see myself using it much lol. But it all comes down to what you primarily shoot. I shot with the 5D3 and 1DX before, the 5D4 replaced both for me

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,688 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Nov 01, 2017 21:40 |  #5119

I had several issues with my 1st 5D4 body. All the PCBs were replaced twice due to wakeup latency issues and then there was oil or some other kind of fluid on the sensor that was a complete nightmare to deal with. Over half a dozen trips to Canon and yet another wakeup issue later my body was replaced. No issues since.

On the subject of 5D4 or 1DX2 my 5D4 gets a lot more use. Then again, my 7D2 gets more use than the both of them combined. One isn't less or more desirable to use than the other depending on the task.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

gossamer88
"something else"
Joined Aug 2014
NYC
Nov 02, 2017 05:27 |  #5120

Glad I brought this subject up and that I'm not alone. Sorry you all are having issues though and I will now definitely contact Canon.

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 6s
flickr (external link)

2cruise
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
Virginia.....I'm also known as Whisle
Nov 02, 2017 08:13 |  #5121

30 sec, f11, Zeiss 35mm, Little Stopper and CPL at daybreak.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4470/37403801194_87c6a5efe7_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/YZff​Y3] (external link)Daybreak (external link) by Whisle (external link)

5D Mark IV~70-200mm f4L IS~Zeiss 21mm 2.8~Sigma 24mm f1.4 Art~Zeiss 35mm f2~Zeiss 50mm f2 Makro-Planar~Zeiss Planar 85mm 1.4~Rokinon 14mm 2.8~Lee filters
My Flickr (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,174 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011
West Yorkshire, UK
Nov 02, 2017 09:12 |  #5122

71sbeetle wrote in post #18486367 (external link)
I had both and I made my choice, to me the 5D4 was a lot more bang for the buck, the only extras I could use from the 1DX2 was the spot metering linked to focusing point, the high ISO performance was not that noticeable if at all in my case, and the 14fps while it's cool I don't see myself using it much lol. But it all comes down to what you primarily shoot. I shot with the 5D3 and 1DX before, the 5D4 replaced both for me

From what I've seen the 5D4 is probably closer to the 1Dx2 in terms of high iso quality than the 5D3 was to the 1Dx. Reports on AF performance vary, but I'm told the 5D4 is pretty competitive with the 1Dx. In any event; it's certainly a great camera (well all four are tbh).

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

Sdentrem
Joined Feb 2015
Nov 08, 2017 17:50 |  #5123

I was pretty lucky to have this Northern Harrier in focus flying low behind these alders. Taken in Nova Scotia, Nov 5th, 2017.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,719 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Nov 09, 2017 12:16 |  #5124

What a superb environmental shot! Never seen anything that shows the Harrier doing it's thing better.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

steve67
Joined Dec 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Nov 15, 2017 08:53 |  #5125

Great shot Sdentrem

5DMark4/ 24-105 F4/16-35mm F4 50mm f1.8 II/ 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM

rantercsr
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Post has been last edited 8 days ago by rantercsr. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 15, 2017 10:40 |  #5126

Expecting mine today..

Wow.. you guys are making me nervous -? With all these issues..;-)a

Ive been lucky so far with cameras of all brands That ive owned (canon ,sony,fuji ,panasonic).. haven't had any issues at all.
Hopefully my experience with 5d4 is as good as it has been with all other cameras (in the sense of never needing to use the warranty)

Canon 5DIV*T4i/10-18/24 f2.8/ 35 f1.4Lii /50 f1.4/ 85 f1.8
Pentax k1000* k50 f2*135 f2.
Fuji XT2 // 23 f2/ 50 f2
https://www.instagram.​com/shotbypops/ (external link) MYflickr (external link)

LJ3Jim
Joined Jan 2012
Pacific Northwest
Nov 15, 2017 13:23 |  #5127

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18492706 (external link)
What a superb environmental shot! Never seen anything that shows the Harrier doing it's thing better.

I agree. I'm curious as to why the photo hasn't been given one of those little gold cups?

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

gossamer88
"something else"
Joined Aug 2014
NYC
Nov 15, 2017 13:51 |  #5128

rantercsr wrote in post #18497078 (external link)
Expecting mine today..

Wow.. you guys are making me nervous -? With all these issues..;-)a

Ive been lucky so far with cameras of all brands That ive owned (canon ,sony,fuji ,panasonic).. haven't had any issues at all.
Hopefully my experience with 5d4 is as good as it has been with all other cameras (in the sense of never needing to use the warranty)

Wanted to post as I'm the one who mention the wake up issue. Mine is not doing it anymore. In fact when I went to the PhotoPlus Expo in NYC, I spoke with a Canon rep and he said that sometimes happens to him then it goes away. Guess he fixed it LOL!

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 6s
flickr (external link)

George ­ Zip
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2015
Post has been edited 8 days ago by George Zip.
Nov 15, 2017 15:33 |  #5129

I had a problem recently. iT was weird images would not preview on the screen.

I put it down to changing too many things. What I mean is, I was shooting a wedding. I was changing Lenses, turned the flash on and off and flipped between manual and AV mode a lot. Are you meant to turn off the camera when swapping lenses???

I restarted the camera and it was all good.

Apart from that it's been pretty much flawless. 10/10 from me

mike_d
Goldmember
4,997 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Nov 15, 2017 15:44 |  #5130

George Zip wrote in post #18497321 (external link)
I had a problem recently. iT was weird images would not preview on the screen.

I put it down to changing too many things. What I mean is, I was shooting a wedding. I was changing Lenses, turned the flash on and off and flipped between manual and AV mode a lot. Are you meant to turn off the camera when swapping lenses???

I restarted the camera and it was all good.

Apart from that it's been pretty much flawless. 10/10 from me

I would consider that just normal use and should not cause a properly-functioning camera to misbehave.

I don't turn my camera off to change lenses, batteries, or memory cards. Just be sure the IS has stopped "spinning" before detaching the lens and that your memory card is not being written to before opening the memory card or battery door.

sponsored links

548,453 views & 2634 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.