Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 11 Sep 2017 (Monday) 07:16
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

RX100 II Focus Issue.

Russell ­ W. ­ Barnes
27 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Near Penrith, Cumbria
Sep 11, 2017 07:16 |  #1

Hallo all,

My RX100II focussing isn't entirely reliable and I'd like to know if it's me or the camera that's the problem here. I have the focussing set to Single-Shot AF and as I understand it, the image is focussed when the green dot next to the shutter speed indication is solid.

Except sometimes it isn't... Maybe one shot in twenty is duff. And Sod's Law dictates that it's generally a shot I'd never get the opportunity to capture again. Not just low-light, either, but ordinary scenes of decent contrast.

My Canon G12, which the Sony superseded, never, ever failed to get a shot in focus. The two things that put me off going for another Canon G*** are the very slow response time between pressing the tit and exposing the shot, and that the lens cover is too close to the glass, trapping dirt and scratching the front element. I thought Canon would've got on top of this by now.

Anyway, I digress; back to the Sony. It's a lovely, well-made camera and the pics I do take that are in focus, I'm perfectly happy with. But until I resolve this focussing unreliability I just can't trust it. -?

Advice, please?

Regds,
Russell W. B.external link
More pics hereexternal link...

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Nov 09, 2017 13:44 |  #2

Wow, old thread and no response.

I have the original RX100 and also have problems with focusing. The camera seems to have a mind of its own, focusing where it wants. It likes to focus on faces. I have tried to turn that feature off, because sometimes I don't want focus there, and sometimes it is not a real face. But it doesn't seem to change the behavior much, or at all.

Great little camera, but hard to get accurate focus, especially closer up.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

2mnycars
Goldmember
2,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Canada
Nov 18, 2017 20:07 |  #3

I have an RX100-2 and I purchased a used electronic view finder.

When I review exposure data I find shutter speed is too low and camera shake is an issue.

I've had help. I don't know if I should share the source in this forum. Although I'm seldom here now, P M me if you want information

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

716 views & 0 likes for this thread
RX100 II Focus Issue.
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.