Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
5,574 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
Nov 09, 2017 15:03 |  #7126

mystik610 wrote in post #18492847 (external link)
16-35 certainly looks like a good lens. I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out what to do about the UWA side of things, but a part of me of saying sell the Loxia 21 and grab the GM to cover everything from 16-24mm. I liked the 12-24, but 12mm is such a limited focal length for me. The times I did shoot at that focal length, I screwed up the framing so much that I had to crop back to around to probably 18mm FOV in post to get a decent framing lol.

Carlo, that's the good and bad about having all these options. It's hard to decide! :-)

The 12-24 is a great lens in its own right.

Sony α7R II / ILCE-7RM2, α6000 / ILCE-6000 | Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA | Carl Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8, Loxia 85mm F2.4, Batis 18mm F2.8 | Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 | Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro |

sponsored links
mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Nov 09, 2017 15:05 |  #7127

Charlie wrote in post #18492695 (external link)
sounds suicidal  :p

David Arbogast wrote in post #18492691 (external link)
Wow! You still have a full-time day job, right? How do you have time for all that work? :eek:

I was a very committed hard-worker until just two years ago and now I’m allergic to it. :p

digital_AM wrote in post #18492731 (external link)
Geez! Good luck. I'm about half way done editing the final 20+ images from Monday's architecture shoot of a commercial building. Getting tired of editing 3-4 hours each night. :cry:

Hah yeah its nuts. I think the key things is that I'm actually enjoying it, so it doesn't feel like work the way my "real" job does. I got approached to shoot another wedding next weekend...last minute booking. If the money is right I might just take it on!

Alfredo, these are mostly family portraits and weddings and stuff...much less work in post than you're probably doing with your architecture, but yeah I'm spending a lot of my evenings on my macbook. I've started bringing it everywhere so I can process on the go. This is how I managed to screw up my hard drive!

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,089 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Nov 09, 2017 15:18 |  #7128

mystik610 wrote in post #18492847 (external link)
16-35 certainly looks like a good lens. I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out what to do about the UWA side of things, but a part of me of saying sell the Loxia 21 and grab the GM to cover everything from 16-24mm. I liked the 12-24, but 12mm is such a limited focal length for me. The times I did shoot at that focal length, I screwed up the framing so much that I had to crop back to around to probably 18mm FOV in post to get a decent framing lol.

A lot of superb wedding photos are made with a 16-35mm f/2.8 lens...if I shot weddings it would be a must have.

I’m glad Sony didn’t waste any evolutionary time in developing a superb optical formula like Canon did in taking three versions of the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L to finally get it right (and even version 3 has horrific vignetting if I recall the reviews correctly).

David | Flickr (external link)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
5,574 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
Nov 09, 2017 15:22 |  #7129

David Arbogast wrote in post #18492866 (external link)
A lot of superb wedding photos are made with a 16-35mm f/2.8 lens...if I shot weddings it would be a must have.

I’m glad Sony didn’t waste any evolutionary time in developing a superb optical formula like Canon did in taking three versions of the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L to finally get it right (and even version 3 has horrific vignetting if I recall the reviews correctly).

The bokeh on the GM is very nice!

Sony α7R II / ILCE-7RM2, α6000 / ILCE-6000 | Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA | Carl Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8, Loxia 85mm F2.4, Batis 18mm F2.8 | Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 | Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro |

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Nov 09, 2017 15:26 |  #7130

David Arbogast wrote in post #18492866 (external link)

Yeah. Those UWA shots make up a very small percentage of the photos that end up being delivered, but those dramatic FOV's really add some variety to the set and spice things up. I didn't have an UWA this weekend and it feels like something is missing.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
5,574 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
Nov 09, 2017 15:44 |  #7131

Is anyone considering this Arsenal device? It flew under my radar but now I'm intrigued. It may be a good alternative to using the SR app which, despite its many advantages, also increases the shutter count.

Per Fred Miranda himself, "On the bright side, the new Arsenal device seems to support image averaging and this could potentially provide the same Smooth Reflections capability with the additional benefit of using silent shutter and uncompressed RAW. The resulting RAW image will be recorded in camera. (just like SR)"

https://witharsenal.co​m/ (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,089 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Nov 09, 2017 15:55 |  #7132

Just want to give everyone a Macphun update. I’ve been asking them almost daily for the refund they promised me, and I’ve given the. every single thing they’ve asked for and they still haven’t refunded my money. I’m to the point of feeling I have a duty to call them out as a dishonest lying unethical company that should be avoided.

This was their last message to me (I’ve since provided them the raw files they requested and now my requests for a refund are being ignored...I’ve not had any response from them since two weeks ago.

Man I HATE being lied to!

Hi David,

No worries, we will continue your money back period for three weeks.

Please send us the original files you used to create HDR so that we can test them on our side.

Have a nice trip!

Julia
Macphun Support Team
Web: www.macphun.com (external link)
Connect on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
macphun

Hi David,

Sure, we will issue you the refund. However, may I ask you to send us your original images and the screenshots of the issues described (halos, oversaturation)?

That will help us to improve Aurora HDR 2018.

Please upload the files to www.WeTransfer.com (external link) & send us shared for everyone link. Please specify which adjustments exactly have you applied.

Thank you in advance!

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Alina
Macphun Support Team
Web: www.macphun.com (external link)
Connect on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
macphun

David | Flickr (external link)

ChrisHeathcote
Joined Oct 2013
Derbyshire
Nov 09, 2017 15:56 |  #7133

xpfloyd wrote in post #18492737 (external link)
Thanks Alfredo, I’ll check them out. I’ve actually got a F stop shoulder bag I really like and had looked and the loka pack years ago. I see the range has evolved since then.

If anyone has anymore lower budget ones they like would be interested to hear them too

Ive got the F-Stop Ajna along with small and large ICU’s, they are great for keeping camera equipment safe along with extra clothing etc whilst out walking. They are very comfortable too. The only problem is getting hold of them in the UK, I’m not sure if there are any UK stockists anymore. Ordering from F-Stop is a bit hit and miss as they can take months to deliver. I ordered mine from Cameranu.nl and it arrived the next day.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Nov 09, 2017 15:56 |  #7134

digital_AM wrote in post #18492888 (external link)
Is anyone considering this Arsenal device? It flew under my radar but now I'm intrigued. It may be a good alternative to using the SR app which, despite its many advantages, also increases the shutter count.

Per Fred Miranda himself, "On the bright side, the new Arsenal device seems to support image averaging and this could potentially provide the same Smooth Reflections capability with the additional benefit of using silent shutter and uncompressed RAW. The resulting RAW image will be recorded in camera. (just like SR)"

If it can function as a full on remote for the A7RII I'd call it worth it. The question is, will it handle focus stacking on the Sony cameras? I remember there being an issue with how the Sony camera communicates lens info. Can't remember what exactly it was at the moment.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Post has been edited 14 days ago by xpfloyd.
Nov 09, 2017 16:13 |  #7135

digital_AM wrote in post #18492888 (external link)

This looks promising! $250 retail though vs a $7 app

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 15 | Zeiss Loxia 21 | Samyang 24 | Contax Zeiss 100-300
Sony 28 | Sony/Zeiss 55 | Zeiss Batis 85 | Sony 90 Macro

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Nov 09, 2017 16:14 |  #7136

Wedding photos. For the reception shots I usually expose for the ambient, but this particular videographer didn't color correct their persistent light, so I had to kill the ambient, otherwise I'd have a nasty blue colorcast. Underexposing the ambient creates these "cave" type shots. I don't prefer it, but its not too bad. Good news is that the Godox 860II was able to keep up just fine.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4545/38262003052_aaff8249c7_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/21i5​LtN] (external link)_DSC2954 (external link) by Carlo Alcala (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4515/38238948706_50b5ddcee0_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/21g3​Be5] (external link)_DSC2965 (external link) by Carlo Alcala (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4531/24423592918_a2febb637b_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Ddei​gC] (external link)_DSC3087 (external link) by Carlo Alcala (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4569/38238955296_9b14daa3aa_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/21g3​DbG] (external link)_DSC4094 (external link) by Carlo Alcala (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4555/38293795261_dcd11874b7_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/21kT​Hck] (external link)_DSC4452 (external link) by Carlo Alcala (external link), on Flickr

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
California
Nov 09, 2017 17:26 |  #7137

Using the workflow of Pratik Naik and one of the included images on his tutorial at RGGEDU, i tried the Affinity Photo software. Exact same workflow but with Affinity. I think it's legit. Photoshop has a serious competition. and it's only $50 bucks with no subscriptions.

i didn't do a good job though but it works, if only i gave it more time.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

VINZ - SONY A7RII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE3514 | FE1635F4 |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,219 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Yorba Linda, CA
Nov 09, 2017 18:39 |  #7138

Charlie wrote in post #18492079 (external link)
isnt MW season over? Tons of good shooting in LA if you dont need to go inland. Let me know if you will stay in LA, I can point out many spots depending on your stay. Right by LAX at the in and out.... you gotta try their burgers anyhow, terrific plane spotting area, fortunately, the terminal just opened again, so sunset/sunrise + plane could happen. The experience is awesome too, SOOOOO close, my kids loved it.

Same here. I can add my recommendations to Charlie's.

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,219 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Yorba Linda, CA
Nov 09, 2017 18:41 |  #7139

TRhoads wrote in post #18492132 (external link)
I get in after sunset on Thursday, and then we have a house just outside JTNP to get to...figuring LA traffic, the 120 miles should take 4 hours  :p...we will likely find a place to shoot astro that night, and then get back in...I plan to find spots for sunrise too...

I can't believe you live near LA and have not been to JTNP...I have said it before, if I lived near stuff like that or Yosemite...my wife would hate it...I would ALWAYS be making the jaunt to go there...

I was in JTNP about a month ago.
It's really about 2 hrs from LA as long as you don't hit any huge traffic.
I can point out a number of good spots there as well if you wish.

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Nov 09, 2017 19:47 as a reply to post 18492717 |  #7140

For a landscaper, hands down the Mindshift 360 Rot. Pro.
I've got one. In fact between both houses I have over 32 backpacks---almost one for every year of active backpacking
in my life---that's not counting dedicated photo bags, and I can tell you it is the best made pack I've every bought. Period.
Shame I don't use it. I'm not a landscaper and my long lenses don't easily fit in it.

Someone in the thread mentioned carrying dad stuff and photo gear, the Rot 180 pro excels at that too. Just 10 star on function
and construction and just as important comfort.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links

260,956 views & 14220 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.