Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 22 Oct 2017 (Sunday) 10:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon eos 80D vs Fujifilm Xt-2 vs Others

RoMEo1
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Oct 22, 2017 10:48 |  #1

Hey guys,
I'm new here and I want to buy a camera to get into photography. As I was searching the web I quickly realized that there's a lot of competition in this market. I saw many videos saying that they opted for a mirrorless camera instead of a DSLR but what's better? I was also wondering what camera is the best "bang for the buck". Am I better off buying an older model (fuji xt-1, an older rebel, 77D, etc.)? Should I buy used?
Thanks,
RoMEo1

sponsored links
rantercsr
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Oct 22, 2017 10:55 |  #2

What sort of photography are you looking to get into?

Before anyone can attempt to answer its a bit important to know..

I have both , when it comes down to IQ they are pretty
much equal..
How ever then lenses come into play..
You can pretty much find the same lenses for both systems but with Canon some of the lenses especially though fast ones will be full frame lenses and will cost you a lot more then what you get from Fuji
That is if staying native if you don't mind Sigma or Tamron then the difference become smaller I think in terms of cost at least

Canon 5DIV*T4i/10-18/24 f2.8/ 35 f1.4Lii /50 f1.4/ 85 f1.8
Pentax k1000* k50 f2*135 f2.
Fuji XT2 // 23 f2/ 50 f2
https://www.instagram.​com/shotbypops/ (external link) MYflickr (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,239 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Oct 22, 2017 10:58 |  #3

All depends on what you are looking to do. If you're just looking to see if photography is something that you might be interested in, then the cheapest investment is probably the best thing you can do. Start with your phone camera and see what you like to do. Once you bump into the phones limitations, then is a good time to think about the next steps.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sandwedge
Joined Aug 2011
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by sandwedge.
Oct 22, 2017 11:11 |  #4

Welcome to the forum! There are plenty of members here that will help you.

Probably the first thing that we need to know is what type of photography are you interested in. Sports, landscapes, portraits, etc. If you're not sure, that's ok too. It would also help to know what type of budget you're working with.

Just about every camera system has trade-offs. Ince we have a better idea of what you're looking for, we'll be able to help you better.

The first bit of advice I'll give is something I wish I'd known about when I bought my first dslr: There are a few really good online stores that are very reputable, two of which are Adorama and B&H Photography. There are others, but I've used these two. There are also several online stores that are not reputable - do your research if you plan to purchase online. The benefit of buying online is that you'll usually get a better deal than in a brick and mortar store.

Edit: ^^^ These guys type faster than me!

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
80D, 7D, 5D, t2i, sx50, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

RoMEo1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Oct 22, 2017 11:59 |  #5

rantercsr wrote in post #18478288 (external link)
What sort of photography are you looking to get into?

Before anyone can attempt to answer its a bit important to know..

I have both , when it comes down to IQ they are pretty
much equal..
How ever then lenses come into play..
You can pretty much find the same lenses for both systems but with Canon some of the lenses especially though fast ones will be full frame lenses and will cost you a lot more then what you get from Fuji
That is if staying native if you don't mind Sigma or Tamron then the difference become smaller I think in terms of cost at least

First off, thanks for helping me!
I want to do potraits and streets photography with maybe occasional landscapes. I barely have any clue what's the difference between all those brands you named.
Thank you,
RoMEo1

RoMEo1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Post has been edited 1 month ago by RoMEo1.
Oct 22, 2017 12:03 |  #6

gjl711 wrote in post #18478292 (external link)
All depends on what you are looking to do. If you're just looking to see if photography is something that you might be interested in, then the cheapest investment is probably the best thing you can do. Start with your phone camera and see what you like to do. Once you bump into the phones limitations, then is a good time to think about the next steps.

Thank you for the advice!
I previously had a very cheap DSLR that my dad bought but the image quality was fairly bad. I could spend hours trying to play with my ppictures but I soon got tired of the fact that I couldn't take sharp pictures. I know this field interests me.
Thank you,
RoMEo1

RoMEo1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Post has been edited 1 month ago by RoMEo1.
Oct 22, 2017 12:07 |  #7

sandwedge wrote in post #18478299 (external link)
Welcome to the forum! There are plenty of members here that will help you.

Probably the first thing that we need to know is what type of photography are you interested in. Sports, landscapes, portraits, etc. If you're not sure, that's ok too. It would also help to know what type of budget you're working with.

Just about every camera system has trade-offs. Ince we have a better idea of what you're looking for, we'll be able to help you better.

The first bit of advice I'll give is something I wish I'd known about when I bought my first dslr: There are a few really good online stores that are very reputable, two of which are Adorama and B&H Photography. There are others, but I've used these two. There are also several online stores that are not reputable - do your research if you plan to purchase online. The benefit of buying online is that you'll usually get a better deal than in a brick and mortar store.

Edit: ^^^ These guys type faster than me!

I never really thought of my budget... I guess the cheapest the better but lets say I'm raedy to pay 1200USD. I beleive the x-t2 is too expensive for that budget but I was mostly searching for help. I'm trying to find the best camera for me with the little knowleadge I have.

I would like to do portraits and street photography while still having the option of trying landscapes.

And thanks for the tip, very useful!

Thank you,
RoMEo1

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Oct 24, 2017 22:16 |  #8

If you are in the States, you might want to check out Canon USA's refurbished program. The 80D is available. I don't know if there is a sale on at the moment, but they have them from time to time and often discount lenses when you buy a camera body.

https://shop.usa.canon​.com ...0GrALVEAAYASAAEgInX​vD_BwE (external link)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,881 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Oct 26, 2017 08:56 |  #9

RoMEo1 wrote in post #18478327 (external link)
First off, thanks for helping me!
I want to do potraits and streets photography with maybe occasional landscapes. I barely have any clue what's the difference between all those brands you named.
Thank you,
RoMEo1

I think the days of the SLR are numbered. Mirrorless cameras are getting better and better, and are now probably more reliable and durable. SLRs will be relegated to special need photographers. I sold my 5Dii and nearly all my Canon gear (except for my film cameras) a few years ago. I was a bit apprehensive at first, but now I am very happy using only mirrorless cameras (Sigma sd Quattro and Sony Alpha 7).

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

gremlin75
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Detroit, MI
Nov 07, 2017 14:13 |  #10

RoMEo1 wrote in post #18478327 (external link)
Thank you,
RoMEo1

RoMEo1 wrote in post #18478332 (external link)
I never really thought of my budget... I guess the cheapest the better but lets say I'm raedy to pay 1200USD. I beleive the x-t2 is too expensive for that budget but I was mostly searching for help. I'm trying to find the best camera for me with the little knowleadge I have.

I would like to do portraits and street photography while still having the option of trying landscapes.

Any camera will do what you're looking for. Most people think the smaller the better for street shooting. So personally I think I'd suggest Fuji, but that is coming from a Fuji shooter so take it with a grain of salt. Like I said, any modern camera will be good at what you're looking to do.

Don't just think about the camera though. Think about lenses as well. With the budget you're looking to keep it under I'd look at used options and possibly even one gereartion back so you can get better lenses.

A used x-t10 (since been replaced with the x-t20) will be small and can be found for about $400 or about $600 with an 18-55mm lens. The 18-55mm lens is a "kit" lens that put other lenses to shame and is a nice 'do it all' lens.

If you're just starting out then you may not know what focal length you actually want. You can take the advice of other and hope what works for them works for you. Personally I'd start out with a kit lens. Like I said, the Fuji 18-55 is a great lens and their cheaper 16-50 (not to be confused with the 16-55 which would blow your whole budget on one lens) is even a good lens. Once you know what focal lengths you like you can look into possible adding a few primes to the kit to supplement, or possible even replace, the 18-55.

Now I know I've just spoken about Fuji in this post but most of this will apply to canon as well. A last gen canon rebel with an 18-55 is a great place to start and will be less expensive then a new kit.

Also look into Sony, Olympus, and Panasonic as well. All have great options that will make you go cross eyed after you try researching then all and narrowing it down to what will work best for you!

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 07, 2017 14:21 |  #11

Heya,

Portrait can be done on any of them. Lighting and posing, if intentional/formal, is more important than worrying about what camera body and what lens beyond a few major properties, but any focal length can be used for portrait.

Street has advantages when the camera is smaller, less obvious, less conspicuous, less noisy (silent ideal), and especially useful if you don't have to hold it up and point it at someone in an obvious nature (so rotating back LCD is helpful).

Landscape can be a lot of things, and can be done at any focal length, but the kind of landscape you want to do will dictate what you need. Ultrawide isn't specifically great for landscape. Telephoto isn't limited to not being for landscape and is quite useful for it too. Really it can be anything.

I would point you towards Sony or Fuji for this.

Fuji:

For $1200, you can get a used body around $400~500, and a lens or two that are decent, and go from there. Take a look at the Fuji XPRO1 and/or X-T1. And look for used 18mm F2 (pancake) or 27mm F2.8 (pancake) or 23mm F2, for a good wide street lens. Add a 60mm F2.4 for portrait perhaps, again, used. That should fit within your budget with room for a few little accessories, batteries, maybe a little tripod, a flash, etc.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

mark2009
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Northeast , USA
Nov 08, 2017 13:32 |  #12

I will Give you my 2 cents, as a canon shooter for over 20yrs and have moved to Fuji. If sports , or video is one of your interests, go canon, any thing still, I found Fuji to have canon FF image quality with better, beautiful color. We can all argue that, that is my findings, but there is also other things to think about.
With the Canon 70d/80d, you have auto mode, with scenes modes, Fuji they have just a A on body, and A on lens for auto. Also canon has a built in flash, the Fuji xt1/xt2 you need a external flash. My cheat list would be

More beginner, user friendly, scene modes with built in flash - Canon
Moving things - Canon
Video - Canon
Portraits/landscape, anything non moving - Fuji
Image quality- Fuji
Size/smaller - Fuji
Lenses, the Fuji 18-55 is one of the best kits lens available, along with used 35 and 50mm going for under $400, all solid with metal mounts.

Best bang for the buck for me is a used Fuji XT-1, fredmiranda sell forum has them for around $500, body

Just FYI, I started trying a Fuji xe1->xe2, also x100->x100s->x100t, and have settled on a Fuji xt1, with a 18-55, and 35mm, Nissin i40 flash, sold all my canon stuff two years ago....

Anyway, just my opinion and findings,

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,227 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 12 days ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 08, 2017 13:39 as a reply to Tony-S's post |  #13

Quotes over the past several years just on POTN:

"The action SLR's days are numbered." - Feb 2016

"Mirrorless can be quite cheap these days. ... But whatever segment, I think the lower end DSLR market's days are numbered." -Sept 2014

"in a nut shell cameras like the Sony A7 and other mirrorless cameras are going to change the face of cameras and photography and the like of DSLR are going to be history." - Dec 2013

So as you can see, we have had folks herald the end of the DSLR as we know it for 4 years now, and 4 years from now, we will still likely have DSLRs, albeit a shrunken market. :D

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Nov 08, 2017 15:20 |  #14

mark2009 wrote in post #18491969 (external link)
I will Give you my 2 cents, as a canon shooter for over 20yrs and have moved to Fuji. If sports , or video is one of your interests, go canon, any thing still, I found Fuji to have canon FF image quality with better, beautiful color. We can all argue that, that is my findings, but there is also other things to think about.
With the Canon 70d/80d, you have auto mode, with scenes modes, Fuji they have just a A on body, and A on lens for auto. Also canon has a built in flash, the Fuji xt1/xt2 you need a external flash. My cheat list would be

More beginner, user friendly, scene modes with built in flash - Canon
Moving things - Canon
Video - Canon
Portraits/landscape, anything non moving - Fuji
Image quality- Fuji
Size/smaller - Fuji
Lenses, the Fuji 18-55 is one of the best kits lens available, along with used 35 and 50mm going for under $400, all solid with metal mounts.

Best bang for the buck for me is a used Fuji XT-1, fredmiranda sell forum has them for around $500, body

Just FYI, I started trying a Fuji xe1->xe2, also x100->x100s->x100t, and have settled on a Fuji xt1, with a 18-55, and 35mm, Nissin i40 flash, sold all my canon stuff two years ago....

Anyway, just my opinion and findings,

Although you don't get a popup flash with the X-T1 or 2 Fuji do include a nice little hot shoe flash in the box, the EF -X8. it folds flat when you don't need it and you pop it up to use it.

I'd disagree with your video statement as the (4K capable) X-T2 has much much better video quality then the 80D - the Dual Pixel AF that Canon offer is really very good though, better than anything else out there for video. So that is better AF for Canon, but the Fuji is not all that bad these days, even for sports.

If you want to learn Photography having a camera that easily allows you to control the settings and learning what they do would be a far better start then learning to rely on some scene auto modes. Least you will have a good understanding if you do it that way.

I think any modern DSLR would be a good place to start they are all so capable now, but I'd agree with the X-T1 being a great buy second hand these days.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Post has been edited 11 days ago by AlanU.
Nov 09, 2017 17:26 |  #15

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18491974 (external link)
Quotes over the past several years just on POTN:

"The action SLR's days are numbered." - Feb 2016

"Mirrorless can be quite cheap these days. ... But whatever segment, I think the lower end DSLR market's days are numbered." -Sept 2014

"in a nut shell cameras like the Sony A7 and other mirrorless cameras are going to change the face of cameras and photography and the like of DSLR are going to be history." - Dec 2013

So as you can see, we have had folks herald the end of the DSLR as we know it for 4 years now, and 4 years from now, we will still likely have DSLRs, albeit a shrunken market. :D

Since I shoot both mirrored and mirrorless I can say at this moment in time I cannot see myself selling off my mirrored bodies.

If I had the criteria of shooting 1)Portraits 2)street photography 3) casual landscape I would say any camera on the market can do extremely well. As a Fuji shooter I will have to say those 3 mentioned the fuji system can do those types of photography easily.

Generally speaking I would say sports/action and events photography in challenging low light a modern Full frame mirrored body should have an edge as far as autofocus is concerned.

I love my Canon 80D as it produces very nice rich looking files and captures virtually anything and everything I throw at it. I use my Fuji for slow moving subjects. For me (not my opinion) the autofocus system in the 80D is much better than my Fuji X-t2. My 80d virtually never hunts on me (all of my Canon gear actually) while I cannot say the same for my Fuji gear I've owned.

HOWEVER.......... OP for your application you should seriously look at the Fuji system. The Fuji 18-55 is a very nice lens that produces amazing quality and pro construction.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

sponsored links

599 views & 2 likes for this thread
Canon eos 80D vs Fujifilm Xt-2 vs Others
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.