Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 07 Sep 2017 (Thursday) 17:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Where did the birds go???

Lycomech96
Joined Jul 2009
Williamsport. Lycoming County
Oct 06, 2017 23:20 |  #16

It's almost a month since the last post in this thread. I checked in here to see what others were finding (or not finding.) I am disturbed at the lack of activity at my feeders. I usually have plenty of birds and many varieties year round but I stopped feeding a month and a half ago to try to get the hordes of Finches to move on as they could empty a feeder in two days. I filled the feeders again and have seen very little activity. In an hour of watching I had a Titmouse visit twice and a chickadee once. This is abnormal from all the other years I have been feeding and watching. And I am nearly 70.
I have been seeing a few Pileated, Red Belly, Hairy and Flickers, a Cardinal or two, a Blackburnian Warbler and a Yellowthroat. Some Robins a few Blue Jays and a Phoebe.. I suppose natural food is plentiful and there is no need for the feeders yet.
I had a report for a neighbor two miles away with the same experience. I am happy the finches disappeared though. That will cut my feed budget in half or more. Great acorn and hickory nut crop here so the squirrels and deer are happy.

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Oct 07, 2017 05:46 |  #17

The seed in my feeders is disappearing at a very slow rate. I sort of judge bird activity by them. I don't photograph our backyard birds. I should, I suppose... but I love to sit on our screened-in porch and watch them... listen to them on their way in and out. I do my bird photography at various nature preserves, mostly in central Florida. Somehow, I connect photography with those places, not my own backyard. Probably because it feels more natural to me (pun intended;)). Around here, I'd have to put up some sort of blind as the birds are so skittish. I talk to them too when I'm out manning the grill, etc., or just sitting on the deck. It doesn't seem to matter. On the few times I've held a camera to my eye, they were gone in a flash.

This year, I don't seem to have the variety of previous years. We have a couple northern flickers, several other species of woodpeckers, cardinals, and a couple species of tiny birds (I'm not sure which ones, exactly). Anyway, we usually have bluejays, robins, etc., but not this year. Perhaps I just missed them. I'll have to check eBird and see if I'm nuts or if there is something going on this year.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

nwyman
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
Maryland Eastern Shore
Oct 27, 2017 22:48 as a reply to post 18447019 |  #18

I'm on Maryland's Eastern Shore. It has been a lean year all around, but in the last four weeks, all I get are a bunch of House Finches, a titmouse or two and chickadees. In a neighboring county, there is a bird-banding organization - they seem to be having a great time of it. I don't know what it is. Usually I get a run of kinglets in late October, but I haven't even seen a Yellow-Rumped Warbler this year.

EOS 6D, SX50HS, Tamron 150-600
C&C welcome and invited

JM_2
Joined Feb 2012
Nov 02, 2017 19:22 |  #19

I'm in central Maryland near the Pennsylvania border and the birds are slowly coming back here. We were over on the Eastern Shore in Delaware a few weeks ago, and we couldn't get over the almost complete absence of birds. It seemed very strange for fall migration. The summer here was eerily slow except for the Hummingbirds, a couple of Nuthatches and a Mockingbird or two, but I'm seeing more birds now. In the past week or so, I've had House Finches, Chickadees, Cardinals, Blue Jays, a Red Bellied Woodpecker, Titmouse and a couple of Downy Woodpeckers hitting the feeders. I've seen quite a few hawks and a couple of Bald Eagles high overhead. Vultures are everywhere you look and Starlings appear out of the woodwork as soon as you fill the feeder.

Judy

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Nov 02, 2017 20:48 |  #20

JM_2 wrote in post #18487283 (external link)
I'm in central Maryland near the Pennsylvania border and the birds are slowly coming back here. We were over on the Eastern Shore in Delaware a few weeks ago, and we couldn't get over the almost complete absence of birds. It seemed very strange for fall migration. The summer here was eerily slow except for the Hummingbirds, a couple of Nuthatches and a Mockingbird or two, but I'm seeing more birds now. In the past week or so, I've had House Finches, Chickadees, Cardinals, Blue Jays, a Red Bellied Woodpecker, Titmouse and a couple of Downy Woodpeckers hitting the feeders. I've seen quite a few hawks and a couple of Bald Eagles high overhead. Vultures are everywhere you look and Starlings appear out of the woodwork as soon as you fill the feeder.

I filled up my bird feeders two weeks ago... under "normal" conditions, the birds eat from one to two inches a day (circular, squirrel free feeders). The levels have stayed right where they were two weeks ago. Odd.... I'm sure it's cyclical but it is odd.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

MatthewK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Nov 03, 2017 06:17 |  #21

At the time I started this thread, it was veritably dead here, yet a week later (beginning of Sept) the woods exploded with activity. Especially warblers. Things settled down into another lull after that, until last week when a swarm of Eastern Bluebirds took up residence, along with Yellow-rumped Warblers and Kinglets. The Kinglets are still around, it's now mostly the usual winter crew (sparrows, woodpeckers, jays, Cardinals, Nuthatches, Chickadees).

It's interesting to hear similar reports from established watchers and feeders. Maybe the warmer Fall weather has lengthened the migration times a little, so there's not as much traffic? Just venturing a guess.

flickrexternal link

Lycomech96
Joined Jul 2009
Williamsport. Lycoming County
Nov 09, 2017 18:13 as a reply to MatthewK's post |  #22

Here is an update from my location. Still not back to normal. I would say the level of attendance at my feeders is running 25% or less of normal. We'll see how hungry they are when the record cold moves in for Saturday.

sponsored links

2,711 views & 9 likes for this thread
Where did the birds go???
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.