Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Nov 09, 2017 19:49 |  #7141

Totally crap weather last couple, today, with more to follow.
I did go to the cemetery in the rain :(
So another tiny world out of boredom-

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links
randy98mtu
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Michigan
Nov 09, 2017 20:11 |  #7142

TRhoads wrote in post #18492517 (external link)
and this is why I need to have my sensor cleaned...it is almost unusable right now at anything greater than f5.6...more than that and I spend more time cloning spots than I do shooting, editing or posting...its ridiculous...
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by TRhoads in
./showthread.php?p=184​92517&i=i34732281
forum: Sony Cameras

How do you like using the Surface? Is that your main machine or just travel?

Canon 5D Mark IV | 35 f/2 IS + 50L + 85L | Gear / Feedbacks | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link) | last.fm (external link)
Sony A7R ii | B25 + FE 50/1.8 + FE 85/1.8
"We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress people we don’t like.” - Chuck Palahniuk

gaabnz
Joined Jul 2013
Nov 09, 2017 20:27 |  #7143

David Arbogast wrote in post #18492902 (external link)
Just want to give everyone a Macphun update. I’ve been asking them almost daily for the refund they promised me, and I’ve given the. every single thing they’ve asked for and they still haven’t refunded my money. I’m to the point of feeling I have a duty to call them out as a dishonest lying unethical company that should be avoided.

This was their last message to me (I’ve since provided them the raw files they requested and now my requests for a refund are being ignored...I’ve not had any response from them since two weeks ago.

Man I HATE being lied to!

Hi David,

No worries, we will continue your money back period for three weeks.

Please send us the original files you used to create HDR so that we can test them on our side.

Have a nice trip!

Julia
Macphun Support Team
Web: www.macphun.com (external link)
Connect on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
macphun

Hi David,

Sure, we will issue you the refund. However, may I ask you to send us your original images and the screenshots of the issues described (halos, oversaturation)?

That will help us to improve Aurora HDR 2018.

Please upload the files to www.WeTransfer.com (external link) & send us shared for everyone link. Please specify which adjustments exactly have you applied.

Thank you in advance!

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Alina
Macphun Support Team
Web: www.macphun.com (external link)
Connect on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
macphun

Thanks for the update David.

I was just watching Serge Ramelli demo this this morning over my breakfast and almost pulled the trigger there and then.

I think I'll hold off and see some more reviews first now :)

Sony A7mkii / Zeiss Batis 18mm f2.8 / 24-105F4L / 70-200f4L / EF50mm f1.8 / Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro / Samyang 24mm f1.4 / Samyang 14mm f2.8 / Sony a6000

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Nov 09, 2017 21:04 |  #7144

randy98mtu wrote in post #18493045 (external link)
How do you like using the Surface? Is that your main machine or just travel?

I love it, but its just my work travel device...I keep Bridge on it to be able to edit job site photos...but its really just a work machine...but I love it...its crazy fast, and has been very reliable and stable over the last year.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

MedicineMan4040
Joined Jul 2013
Nov 09, 2017 21:11 as a reply to post 18492902 |  #7145

McPhun might be fun, but not necessary.
NIK is necessary, so I"m waiting on DXO to fully implement and I'll
upgrade. I'm currently on DXO 10 Prime so shouldn't be too bad.

flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
Joined Jul 2013
Nov 09, 2017 21:15 as a reply to post 18492920 |  #7146

Arsenal is another thing to remember, another thing to plug in :(
That's why I'm keeping the Rii even though I've been given a yellow light on the R3.
I'm 1/3 the way there in discretionary, have a camera on FM now for another 1/3, and a friend
owes me the other 1/3 for some gear he bought....so I'm kinda close, just not gassed up entirely
about it BUT it could back up the a9 if needed too. Plus it be a great excuse to keep more of those
big batteries around ;)

flickr (external link)

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
Joined Apr 2008
Milo's Meadow - Bloom County
Nov 09, 2017 21:58 |  #7147

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18492640 (external link)
Three weeks away from the 24-105g, anybody besides me in ??

I
i thought about it, but since I rarely use my EF 24-105, I didn't think it made sense to buy the E Mount version.

I did place a pre-order with BH in the first 5 minutes for the A7RIII, but my wife needs a new smartphone and I have to replace my MacBookPro that died at the end of October. It looks like I have to cancel that pre-order.

The MBP is a bad news, bad news, good news story. It died due to the infamous 2011 MacBookPro GPU failure. Apple quit offering to repair that failure after April 2017. The good news is the hard drives were still good and no data was lost.

Any recommendations for a new laptop? I don't want to spend more than $2k. It's primary use would be photo editing while away on travel.

Tim

Flickr external link

MedicineMan4040
Joined Jul 2013
Nov 09, 2017 22:11 as a reply to Timphoto's post |  #7148

Yeah the 24-105 is a just in case fill in the gap effort for me, like you not using the EF 24-105 when I had it.
Laptops. Poof and I both use DEL XPS Touch 13s. Win of course and never any issues.

flickr (external link)

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
Joined Apr 2008
Milo's Meadow - Bloom County
Nov 09, 2017 22:33 as a reply to MedicineMan4040's post |  #7149

I've been looking at the 15" Dell XPS Touch version which is right at the upper limit of my budget.

The other two options are another 15" MacBookPro or a Surface Pro.

Tim

Flickr external link

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Nov 09, 2017 22:53 |  #7150

HOSTED PHOTO

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,885 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Post has been edited 14 days ago by navydoc.
Nov 10, 2017 00:34 |  #7151

The aircraft used for multiple skydivers to attempt record breaking numbers of divers jumping together flew overhead again today. I'm guessing they are practicing to do another record jump this weekend. These skydivers are out of the Perris Ca. airport nearby.

Even at an apparent focal length of 1200mm, these high flyers weren't easy to spot, let alone shoot.

Here's the full frame shot and another from more directly overhead.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Nov 10, 2017 02:09 |  #7152

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18492904 (external link)
If it can function as a full on remote for the A7RII I'd call it worth it. The question is, will it handle focus stacking on the Sony cameras? I remember there being an issue with how the Sony camera communicates lens info. Can't remember what exactly it was at the moment.

So I sent an email to the Arsenal people to figure out if they had a work around for the manual focus. Helicon Remote never did it because they said the body didn't support it (this can be seen on the Sony developer API sheet). The response I got was that they found a workaround for focus stacking by taking an image stopped down, analyzing it, and then taking a bunch of shots to cover the expected range needed. If this works it would be great for landscapers who focus stack as well as the obvious macro uses (although I don't know how effective their technique would be for macro). Hmmm, I may have to put the Arsenal back on my list.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Post has been edited 14 days ago by mystik610.
Nov 10, 2017 06:09 |  #7153

Thanks for recommending the Metabones a couple weeks back Charlie. The Sigma 135 really plays much better with it. My previous go with the Sigma 135 was pretty buggy. I was shooting outdoors at night with it y'day and it was able to focus just fine. Kudos to Sony for allowing the firmware update that allows lenses to focus wide open when shooting stopped down, as that helps the usability a lot. I stayed in green mode because I didn't feel like experimenting right then, but will try advanced mode later. Of course this means no eye-AF but it worked out.

I think the forced hybrid AF modes are too problematic. I have a sense that with the a7rIII allowing eye AF in PDAF only mode that this lens should work fine.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4569/37591015624_9274b01f31_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ZgMM​i3] (external link)_DSC5498 (external link) by Carlo Alcala (external link), on Flickr

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Nov 10, 2017 06:32 |  #7154

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18493182 (external link)
So I sent an email to the Arsenal people to figure out if they had a work around for the manual focus. Helicon Remote never did it because they said the body didn't support it (this can be seen on the Sony developer API sheet). The response I got was that they found a workaround for focus stacking by taking an image stopped down, analyzing it, and then taking a bunch of shots to cover the expected range needed. If this works it would be great for landscapers who focus stack as well as the obvious macro uses (although I don't know how effective their technique would be for macro). Hmmm, I may have to put the Arsenal back on my list.

there are enough complaints about photography being too far from reality already, and that the creative aspect is being lost...the Arsenal thing seems to be making that argument ever stronger...if I understand it correctly from looking at the Kickstarter and the rest I have read about it...it does all the work for you, basically tells you how to shoot a scene and does most of the work or at least tell the person behind the camera how to do it...I am not a fan...I think it makes it too automatic...just my two pesos...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Nov 10, 2017 06:34 |  #7155

mystik610 wrote in post #18493228 (external link)
Thanks for recommending the Metabones a couple weeks back Charlie. The Sigma 135 really plays much better with it. My previous go with the Sigma 135 was pretty buggy. I was shooting outdoors at night with it y'day and it was able to focus just fine. Kudos to Sony for allowing the firmware update that allows lenses to focus wide open when shooting stopped down, as that helps the usability a lot. I stayed in green mode because I didn't feel like experimenting right then, but will try advanced mode later. Of course this means no eye-AF but it worked out.

I think the forced hybrid AF modes are too problematic. I have a sense that with the a7rIII allowing eye AF in PDAF only mode that this lens should work fine.

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ZgMM​i3] (external link)_DSC5498 (external link) by Carlo Alcala (external link), on Flickr

good to hear the Sigma 135 works well...for now the Canon is still doing great on both bodies. I like this image a little better than the other one, the other was a little bright on the light side for me, the light on the second one is better, not as harsh.

sponsored links

260,869 views & 14213 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.