Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 03 Nov 2017 (Friday) 19:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Luminar 2018 video

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,620 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Atlanta
Nov 03, 2017 19:39 |  #1

Check out the video

https://photofocus.com .../luminar-2018-first-look/ (external link)

sponsored links
Mark ­ Booth
392 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Post has been edited 8 days ago by Mark Booth.
Nov 09, 2017 18:26 |  #2

I am VERY interested in Luminar 2018 but I am VERY disappointed that it appears the digital asset management features (cataloging of images) won't be included in the initial release.

I am looking for a standalone program that will completely REPLACE Apple's Aperture. I know Luminar can be a plugin to both Lightroom and Aperture. That's not how I plan to run it. I despise Adobe and my anger toward Apple for discontinuing support for Aperture knows no bounds. Holy crap, Apple, just use a couple thousand of your BILLIONS of dollars to fix the few bugs in Aperture under Mac OS versions higher than Yosemite and also to allow Aperture to access newer Apple Camera RAW profiles.

But that's not going to happen and Luminar 2018 looks like my best hope for an image cataloging and image editor in one program. Macphun has been promising digital asset management for a year and it's apparently still not included in the initial release of Luminar 2018.

Sigh.

Mark

"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up."
-- Richard Avedon

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,394 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Nov 09, 2017 20:37 as a reply to Mark Booth's post |  #3

Wow. Have some patience or use other software that does what you want it to do. Photos does asset management, and so does the Finder. There are third party solutions as well. What are you looking to do that absolutely requires a single interface?

Aperture still works with DNGs, right? If you like the controls of Aperture, try Raw Power from Gentlemen Coders, a raw converter made by the former lead of the Aperture project. No asset management, but you get continuing camera support and the raw controls you know from Aperture.

kirk

Kirk
---

MCAsan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,620 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Atlanta
Nov 09, 2017 20:45 |  #4

Macphun made several commitments in late 2016 for 2017. The DAM is the only one I know that was fulfilled. But it easy to understand why. When the commitment was made they had not yet decided to have Luminar and Aurora on both MacOS and Windows. Would I like the DAM before Christmas....oh heck yes. But I will continue using Photo Mechanic until the DAM is out and proven winner.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,985 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Nov 10, 2017 07:47 |  #5

Looks good, and the video says it's exactly what I'm hoping for - RAW development. (My CC sub is expiring and because I no longer get a discount, I'm looking for an alternative to CC).

But to be fair and honest, people should know that upon initial release, some features will not be available in Luminar 2018 windows version. For example, the video talks about LUT tables, but the PC version will not have it, along with other features, until early 2018.

Info here:

https://macphun.com/lu​minar/pc-mac (external link)

Website (external link) |

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,058 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Post has been last edited 7 days ago by David Arbogast. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 10, 2017 11:13 |  #6

I purchased a license for MacPhun's Aurora HDR 2018, but didn't like it and requested a refund. They promised me a refund in several emails, but said they first wanted me to send them some files I used in the program. So, I did that and now they have stopped responding to me.

I'm OK with, "Sorry we do not issue refunds", but am infuriated with them not doing what they promised me in several emails:

Hi David,

Thanks for the examples.

We would very appreciate if you send us the original files you used to create HDR. Is it a single photo or a bracket group?

Please upload the files to www.WeTransfer.com (external link) & send us shared for everyone link.

We will proceed with a refund right after that.

Thaks in advance!

We really appreciate your cooperation.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Julia
Macphun Support Team
Web: www.macphun.com (external link)
Connect on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

MacPhun seems like a very dishonest company to me.

David | Flickr (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,394 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Nov 10, 2017 11:26 |  #7

David Arbogast wrote in post #18493391 (external link)
I purchased a license for MacPhun's Aurora HDR 2018, but didn't like it and requested a refund. They promised me a refund in several emails, but said they first wanted me to send them some files I used in the program. So, I did that and now they have stopped responding to me.

I'm OK with, "Sorry we do not issue refunds", but am infuriated with them not doing what they promised me in several emails:

MacPhun seems like a very dishonest company to me.

Wow - that's BS. I have found their responses to issues to be quirky and hit or miss - but i have never had to deal with them about refunds. If they offer them, they should give them without messing around.

kirk

Kirk
---

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,058 posts
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Post has been last edited 7 days ago by David Arbogast. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 10, 2017 11:43 |  #8

kirkt wrote in post #18493398 (external link)
Wow - that's BS. I have found their responses to issues to be quirky and hit or miss - but i have never had to deal with them about refunds. If they offer them, they should give them without messing around.

kirk

Yes, and I was frustrated and annoyed that they demanded that I give them my raw files and example images as a condition for issuing me a refund. I liken it to trying to return a sweater and the retail shop saying, "Sure, just go shovel the snow off our sidewalk, and we'll proceed with a refund right after that."

And speaking of samples, here are a couple of output samples I sent them to show how poorly their HDR tonemapping does in producing terrible halos. It's a crap scene, but just one I used as a test to see how well the application did at tonemapping. As you can see Photomatix 6 does a decent job of suppressing halos, while Aurora HDR 2018 is awful. There was no setting in the application that would eliminate the halos around the cables.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4527/37597572054_7dd4c8081d_o.jpg
IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4581/26539656479_7da5e422d3_o.jpg

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,985 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Post has been last edited 7 days ago by Picture North Carolina. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 10, 2017 12:43 |  #9

Wow. And I thought Photomatix had problems with halos.

Are you sure you didn't use the Aurora preset entitled "Produce the worst halos you've ever seen." LOL

I'm with you - a refund should be unconditional. I have never had a brick-and-mortar nor online vendor ask me to prove I deserved a refund. Unforgivable.

Seems like the same PR consultant helping ON1 make their sloppy moves as of late is also contracting with MacPhun. ;-)a

Edit: not to mention the Aurora Landscape preset has way too much blue / cyan in it. Yes, the Photomatix seem a little blue, but the Aurora is much worse.

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,985 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Post has been last edited 7 days ago by Picture North Carolina. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 10, 2017 13:57 |  #10

Thinking about this, I'm wondering if I should get my pre-order money back before the product ships.

The parallels to the ON1 Photo RAW crapola are uncanny: pre-order, features missing, promises made, etc. Add to that the refund problems being reported concerning MacPhun and I'm thinking this is another potential disaster about to unfold.

jc1350
145 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Maryland
Nov 10, 2017 14:18 |  #11

HHmm...I just dropped my money on Luminar during lunch.

Well, it's no more expensive than a few mixed drinks out-and-about and we know where that ends up after a few hours, so I'm going to stick with it. We'll see.

--
John

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,394 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Post has been edited 7 days ago by kirkt.
Nov 10, 2017 14:46 |  #12

David Arbogast wrote in post #18493405 (external link)
Yes, and I was frustrated and annoyed that they demanded that I give them my raw files and example images as a condition for issuing me a refund. I liken it to trying to return a sweater and the retail shop saying, "Sure, just go shovel the snow off our sidewalk, and we'll proceed with a refund right after that."

And speaking of samples, here are a couple of output samples I sent them to show how poorly their HDR tonemapping does in producing terrible halos. It's a crap scene, but just one I used as a test to see how well the application did at tonemapping. As you can see Photomatix 6 does a decent job of suppressing halos, while Aurora HDR 2018 is awful. There was no setting in the application that would eliminate the halos around the cables.

That's pure artifact. I sent them image sets when they first made Aurora for the Mac. Its tonemapper had problems and I detailed them with the email I sent with the image sets. To their credit, the tonemapper has improved tremendously, but it clearly has failed on this image. Are you on a PC? I have not encountered an issue like this on my Mac version (2018).

kirk

Kirk
---

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,058 posts
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Nov 10, 2017 14:56 as a reply to kirkt's post |  #13

Yes that was the PC version. And “realistic” preset aside, I worked with the sliders and I could get the halos reduced, but couldn’t come remotely close to acceptable or the Photomatix results

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
Joined Dec 2005
Pittsburgh PA
Nov 10, 2017 16:31 |  #14

I hope it doesnt suck. I preordered it. Kinda bummed the catalog feature wont be out till 2018. I am looking to replace Lightroom as well. Tired of paying monthly and I feel it has gotten slower in use.
I tried a 30Day of that new On1 2018 and I deleted it about 10min after installing. First it was slow going between photos in develop but it would add some auto presets to my Raws and make them disgusting mess like a cell phone photo pushed 5stops and I had no idea how to make it stop that. tried resetting everything but nope.

My gear
Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 35 f2 IS, Sigma 50 1.4 EX, Sigma 17-50 2.8OS, Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2, Sigma 150-600 C, Shanny SN600C flash, Tascam DR-05 v2
Fuji X-T1, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Minolta 50mm 1.7 MD, Vivitar 28mm 2.8 MC, 135mm 2.8 MD

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,058 posts
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Nov 12, 2017 09:02 |  #15

Update: Macphun has now followed through and I have my money back now.

I’m not happy with how long it took them - with how many emails I had to send them asking for it - but they have issued the refund and that’s a credit to them.

sponsored links

1,016 views & 5 likes for this thread
Luminar 2018 video
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.