Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Fashion, Editorial & Commercial Talk
Thread started 13 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 00:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sexual Harassment Campaign

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,107 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Apr 13, 2017 00:09 |  #1

Has anybody seen this? Thoughts. Maybe I'm naive, but this seems like quite a stretch. Is this an unfair stereotype or pretty much the norm in this genre of photography?

https://petapixel.com ...l-harassment-photography/ (external link)

sponsored links
RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,527 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Post has been edited 7 months ago by RDKirk.
Apr 13, 2017 08:24 |  #2

texkam wrote in post #18326625 (external link)
Has anybody seen this? Thoughts. Maybe I'm naive, but this seems like quite a stretch. Is this an unfair stereotype or pretty much the norm in this genre of photography?

https://petapixel.com ...l-harassment-photography/ (external link)

I saw that a couple of days ago. This isn't sexual harassment so much in photography as it is sexual harassment in the fashion industry. Budoir photographers serving private clients, for instance, can't get away with that stuff--yet this video (presuming an accurate portrayal) implicates the entire advertising staff.

But we already know the fashion industry is rife with a number of other social sins against models all of its own, so this is just another of them.

PhotosGuy
74,823 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Apr 13, 2017 08:37 |  #3

The PC Police are everywhere. I'd agree that it seems like a stretch with a whole gallery of people on the set. We don't know/see what kind of image he's trying to evoke, so I might give him a pass on the language in that case. And when he says that he's got it, they're done.
OTOH, if he ever wants to work with her in the future, he might have let her down a little easier instead of just walking off the set?

As for "The Coworker", it's not the same thing, & I can see elements of harassment there. He should keep his hands to himself. Especially as the dufus doesn't seem aware that she has a knife in her hand & the harassment might rapidly go in the other direction? Which might be fun to watch! ; D

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

CygnusStudios
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2017
San Francisco's north bay
Apr 13, 2017 11:20 |  #4

Not the first documentary about the "bad" parts of the fashion industry and certainly won't be the last. Personally I don't believe that it's any worse than it's ever been.

Given the world we live in today the term harassment is much broader than it used to be. Right, wrong or otherwise it is what it is.

I do think that it is sad that photographers get singled out the most, when there are plenty of people involved in the industry that create situations that would lead to such claims.

You never see the documentaries about the thousands of people each year who get off a bus in the fashion cities who do anything it takes to break into the industry. There is some cause and effect from these people.

I'm not saying it's right, but it's never been a secret, yet still there are thousands who want to get into the industry and then seem surprised when they find out it isn't all peaches and cream.

Steve
Website (external link) | Gear (external link)

Moppie
14,715 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2004
Akarana, Aotearoa. (Kiwiland)
Apr 17, 2017 04:36 |  #5

This sort of behavior, in front of other people on set is more common than you might think.
It certainly happens, I have spoken with models who have experienced worse treatment from a photographer.

The whole point of the campaign is to highlight the fact that it is a real problem.

flickrexternal link

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Jun 08, 2017 14:02 |  #6

Political correctness? Irrelevant!

In my opinion, this issue is not about politics. Whatever our political outlooks may be we are morally obligated to treat models with dignity and respect. That, of course, assumes the possession of a moral compass. To the extent we ask our models to bare their bodies or feelings the need for respectful treatment becomes greater.

The whole rag trade has traditionally been a harsh one, especially for women, and even worse for the fabricators than the mannequins. As Moppie suggests, the campaign works to show the difference between what is appropriate and what really happens.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Aug 02, 2017 00:42 |  #7

Fashion photography is this way in general? This is despicable!

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

texkam
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,107 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Aug 02, 2017 00:45 |  #8

I'm having a hard time accepting that this is the norm. That's why I asked.

RandallB
Joined Mar 2013
Montreal
Post has been edited 11 days ago by RandallB.
Nov 06, 2017 23:37 |  #9

Article is en fran├žais:

http://www.journaldemo​ntreal.com ...raphe-de-mode-montrealais (external link)

This is a fairly well known guy here.

6D w/Vello grip, 650 w/Canon grip, 85 1.8, 16-35L, 40mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8 L Macro Broncolor Siros 400S
BOWIE RIP!

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Nov 10, 2017 00:52 |  #10

RandallB wrote in post #18490485 (external link)
Article is en fran├žais:

http://www.journaldemo​ntreal.com ...raphe-de-mode-montrealais (external link)

This is a fairly well known guy here.

and an English language article about him/the journal article https://petapixel.com ...ations-sexual-misconduct/ (external link)

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

MatrixBlackRock
31 posts
Joined Aug 2017
La Belle FL USA
Nov 15, 2017 17:31 |  #11

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18493165 (external link)
and an English language article about him/the journal article https://petapixel.com ...ations-sexual-misconduct/ (external link)

As long as the world turns and the sun hasn't blown up, there will be guys who think with their small head versus the larger one.

Wayne

sponsored links

1,269 views & 3 likes for this thread
Sexual Harassment Campaign
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Fashion, Editorial & Commercial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.