Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk
Thread started 12 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 08:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Matterport 3D camera

jnecr
Joined Sep 2015
Raleigh, NC
Sep 12, 2017 08:13 |  #1

I've seen numerous Facebook posts by home builders with "tours" from this camera (external link). Wondering if anybody has any experience with it? The photos and tour look great. Good white balance, good dynamic range, but not overdone either.

Here's an example tour of a home. I've previously shot this same home with standard photos so was surprised to see this tour:
https://my.matterport.​com/show/?m=WJt2sHd2cw​W (external link)

It's fairly expensive, and there's a monthly cost involved, but these tours and 3D panoramas are great for listings. These are the best that I've seen...

-John

sponsored links
sschaef1
54 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Florida
Sep 22, 2017 16:47 |  #2

I produce 3D tours via Real.Vision. Similar results, but instead of the dollhouse model you get a highly detailed floor plan. Equipment is a Canon camera along with a fisheye lens (Canon or Sigma) and a panoramic head ($300).
Good Luck!

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
Oct 05, 2017 20:27 |  #3

Hmm. The locations in that tour aren't 3D. They're just 360 panos. The model of the entire house with the cutaways is 3D, but as you move around the actual house you're basically just switching between spherical panos. That aint 3D. If it was 3D you'd be able to move around the locations in first person like a game!

You can make 360 tours like this with a DSLR or even simpler, a cheap 360 cam like a Samsung Gear. If you want a cheap solution to 3D scanning, then take a squiz at Agisoft Photoscan.

Here's a brief tour knocked together quickly from Samsung Gear pics. You can add hotspot navigation points, information, videos etc to locations:

http://tdu.massey.ac.n​z/scott/waterfront/ (external link)

Here's a work in progress done using stitched images from a 7D2:

http://tdu.massey.ac.n​z .../geog_trip/fieldtri​p.html (external link)

If you really want to get into 3D scanning, that too can be done with a regular camera. Check out Agisoft Photoscan. This one was done using a 7D2 and 50mm macro:

https://skfb.ly/68tFr (external link)

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photosexternal link

evo5ive
301 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Barbados
Oct 13, 2017 14:17 |  #4

Spacemunkie wrote in post #18466872 (external link)
Hmm. The locations in that tour aren't 3D. They're just 360 panos. The model of the entire house with the cutaways is 3D, but as you move around the actual house you're basically just switching between spherical panos. That aint 3D. If it was 3D you'd be able to move around the locations in first person like a game!

You can make 360 tours like this with a DSLR or even simpler, a cheap 360 cam like a Samsung Gear. If you want a cheap solution to 3D scanning, then take a squiz at Agisoft Photoscan.

Here's a brief tour knocked together quickly from Samsung Gear pics. You can add hotspot navigation points, information, videos etc to locations:

http://tdu.massey.ac.n​z/scott/waterfront/ (external link)

Here's a work in progress done using stitched images from a 7D2:

http://tdu.massey.ac.n​z .../geog_trip/fieldtri​p.html (external link)

If you really want to get into 3D scanning, that too can be done with a regular camera. Check out Agisoft Photoscan. This one was done using a 7D2 and 50mm macro:

https://skfb.ly/68tFr (external link)

The Matterport is in fact 3D and uses laser scanning to generate the model. Take a look at the blue mouse "pointer circle" and you'll notice it aligns to every surface, furniture included. I speak from experience as I've got a Matterport unit. Can also generate full floor plans within 1/4" accuracy. Cool bit of kit but photos are nowhere NEAR what a professional can achieve with a professional DSLR and lighting setup. If anything it's a complimentary system but definitely not a replacement.

Kirk
Websiteexternal link | Google+external link | Facebookexternal link

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Nov 10, 2017 01:02 |  #5

evo5ive wrote in post #18472007 (external link)
The Matterport is in fact 3D and uses laser scanning to generate the model.

I think that Spacemunkie meant real-time 3D - as in a 3D environment that you can walk around freely, like Call of Duty or Quake, rather than just moving between hotspots that show a 3D/360 view.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Scott ­ Spellman
Joined Oct 2015
Royal Oak MI
Nov 11, 2017 11:41 |  #6

evo5ive wrote in post #18472007 (external link)
The Matterport is in fact 3D and uses laser scanning to generate the model. Take a look at the blue mouse "pointer circle" and you'll notice it aligns to every surface, furniture included. I speak from experience as I've got a Matterport unit. Can also generate full floor plans within 1/4" accuracy. Cool bit of kit but photos are nowhere NEAR what a professional can achieve with a professional DSLR and lighting setup. If anything it's a complimentary system but definitely not a replacement.

Business-wise, does the Matterport system generate more income than its cost? What is your price point for a Matterport house shoot?

sponsored links

348 views & 0 likes for this thread
Matterport 3D camera
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.