Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 08 Jul 2017 (Saturday) 13:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

7D Mark III and 90D in early 2018?

Cormac
Joined Jan 2014
Indiana
Nov 09, 2017 18:50 |  #31

Saving for a ff body. Likely to be 5dmkIV. Unless a 7D3 comes out before I have enough saved up. Especially if it had 12 fps. That would be sweet! Love the tilty screen on my 80D. But would sell the thing in a heart beat to offset some of the cost of a new 7D3. I'd assume the tilty, flippy touch screen will become the norm going forward. It's just way to handy.

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

sponsored links
Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
Nov 09, 2017 19:29 |  #32

saving up for 5D4....
maybe by then the 5D5 would be released  :p

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |
Tenba DNA 15 Messenger | Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40v2.0 | Speed Changer v2.0

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Nov 10, 2017 08:23 |  #33

Cormac wrote in post #18492997 (external link)
Especially if it had 12 fps. That would be sweet

I'm curious. What does 12 fps get you that 10 doesn't? I mean, photographically. It's a shot every 83 msec instead of every 100msec. I have not been in a situation where I found myself thinking, "Dagnabbit, if I had 12 fps I would have gotten that shot."

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,228 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 11 days ago by TeamSpeed. 4 edits done in total.
Nov 10, 2017 08:39 |  #34

joedlh wrote in post #18493299 (external link)
I'm curious. What does 12 fps get you that 10 doesn't? I mean, photographically. It's a shot every 83 msec instead of every 100msec. I have not been in a situation where I found myself thinking, "Dagnabbit, if I had 12 fps I would have gotten that shot."

In baseball, those 2 frames could mean a difference of capturing the ball being flattened against the bat, vs the ball just hovering off the bat making it indeterminate of whether it was hit or is about to be hit. It also means you have 20% higher chance of getting just that one perfect frame.

I found that 10fps was good for these shots and 12 wouldn't have helped any more, but there are other situations it would. If you know the event you are shooting, 10fps coupled with experience makes things a bit easier. If not, 12 or 14fps makes things easier. In the first shot of the caught pop fly, that ball will travel about 1-2 feet less per frame at 12fps vs 10.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Tin-Caps-2012/i-SMFvnf8/0/5e498423/XL/IMG_6746-XL.jpg
IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Tin-Caps-2012/i-fwJHb5C/0/5a94237b/XL/IMG_6806-XL.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Tin-Caps-2012/i-fdBCWNR/0/6255c7ee/L/IMG_6697-L.jpg

With 4K video and the ability to pull a 4K frame out, we are getting to the point that you might want to record video clips of sports. It would be less than ideal though, but that possibility now exists.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Nov 10, 2017 09:12 |  #35

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18493307 (external link)
In baseball, those 2 frames could mean a difference of capturing the ball being flattened against the bat, vs the ball just hovering off the bat making it indeterminate of whether it was hit or is about to be hit.

Point made. I was thinking more along the lines of kids soccer where the ball doesn't travel > 95mph.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

Cormac
Joined Jan 2014
Indiana
Nov 10, 2017 09:49 |  #36

I have 7 fps on my 80d. I passed on the 7d2 for the flippy screen and newer sensor. Plus increased DR, if only slightly. But i would like to have 10 fps. That said, the new 7D might as well have 12. Also when your panning with a vehicle traveling 300+ mph as i do with NHRA, The extra few frames are more likely to have a sharp shot in the mess!

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,228 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 11 days ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 10, 2017 09:55 as a reply to joedlh's post |  #37

Here is another case, just to add to the topic. Two players moving toward each other, each swinging their arms in an arc. To get that shot where the player still has the ball in their hand and I can see their face is a very fleeting moment indeed. 7fps just isn't enough, 10fps might be, 12 would be great! It isn't just about the speed of the action either, it is about getting that shot where a bunch of players aren't obstructing the view you are going for.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-2017-2018/Nov-7/i-R8cj6vM/0/c074d5f4/XL/aFX8A3193-XL.jpg

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,572 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 10, 2017 11:52 |  #38

I used to use a 1DIV for sports/action. Lots of times one frame is too early, the next too late. I'd love a 1DXII @ 14 fps. Funny, I used to shoot soccer with all manual Yashica FX2 and FX3-S2K. Both, if I got really good, could hit one frame per second. IIRC, I did OK.

Tom

sponsored links

3,800 views & 16 likes for this thread
7D Mark III and 90D in early 2018?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.