Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News
Thread started 30 Jun 2017 (Friday) 11:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photobucket Goes Rogue

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,118 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Nov 07, 2017 12:04 |  #331

Well I believe today is the last day I'll be using Photobucket. I had an account for $6 per month that advised them I would not renew.

It is terrible there now. Hard to log on, slow, riddled with pop up ads. I was there to make a few screen shots and I couldn't wait to get out.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,169 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Nov 07, 2017 12:11 |  #332

Pekka wrote in post #18474085 (external link)
The problem must be the same as in the other recent cloud-based service with similar problems: they have configured the server to force https with TLS ciphers that are not found in this server. It'll be fixed when I change servers after AMASS 2.0 is up (working hard on it) and running, but I'd rather not test the fix in this "live" server as it may cause other problems and mess other things up.

Pekka, could you tell us what timeframe you hope for, in the AMASS 2.0 ?

I continue to hobble painfully in trying to use Photobucket for photos, and while my links there continue to be displayed properly in forums, for months now I have had to resort to inconvenient means to get new images linked via Photobucket, and would like to switch to a new photo host.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Post has been edited 13 days ago by Nighthound.
Nov 10, 2017 12:09 |  #333

Well, it's decision making time. There's no way I'm paying $400 dollars a year for a hosting site that wasn't worth $40, even at their best which was about 8-10 years ago. I've been a member here at POTN for over 10 years and have built a gallery here from images I consider to be my best. The thought of all those images vanishing in less than 30 days has me trying to figure out my best options. I went though the posts on this thread and have done some investigating into the options suggested. Thanks to all of you for your input, it's been very helpful. After selecting a new hosting location I'd like to repopulate my gallery to its current content but my gallery has nearly 200 images and that means a lot of manual work to get them linked in their original threads again. I'm especially proud of my "Best Of" selections over the years so I'm not sure if they'll vanish but that's the least of my concerns right now.

I'm considering but not completely sold on:
Zenfolio
Smugmug
ImageShack

I like being able to sell my work at the hosting location, I'm a long time hobbyist but it would be nice to start making a little supplemental income with my thousands of images. I do like the pro look that Zenfolio offers. I want an easy copy and past link method for sharing here, as well as making repopulating my gallery at POTN as easy as possible. Any final hour suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
My Astro Gallery http://s3.photobucket.​com ...7/Nighthd/POTN%20Ga​llery/external link

Cubdriver
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Litchfield Co, CT
Nov 10, 2017 23:35 |  #334

Steve, I can't comment on Zenfolio or ImageShack as I've no experience with them, but I've been on SmugMug for five years or more now, and am quite happy with their service.

FWIW.

-Pat

Smugmug site: http://pmanning.smugmu​g.com/external link

Ballen ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,481 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Southern Nevada and Idaho
Nov 11, 2017 09:39 |  #335

Been using www.fototime.com (external link) for the last 18 years with no issues. Started with them using their free service, then decided to step up a notch and use their paid service. I think I pay $24. per year now, and have been happy with them.

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Nov 11, 2017 14:54 |  #336

Cubdriver wrote in post #18493782 (external link)
Steve, I can't comment on Zenfolio or ImageShack as I've no experience with them, but I've been on SmugMug for five years or more now, and am quite happy with their service.

FWIW.

-Pat

Thanks for sharing your experience Pat.

Steve
My Astro Gallery http://s3.photobucket.​com ...7/Nighthd/POTN%20Ga​llery/external link

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Nov 11, 2017 14:57 |  #337

Ballen Photo wrote in post #18493938 (external link)
Been using www.fototime.com (external link) for the last 18 years with no issues. Started with them using their free service, then decided to step up a notch and use their paid service. I think I pay $24. per year now, and have been happy with them.

Thanks very much, I'll take a look around at fototime. That's great price.

Steve

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,118 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Nov 13, 2017 08:43 |  #338

Some are still using so it looks like if you have been there a long time you can get away with it. It looks like new members can't. The member removed the post but it said something about hosting when the image squares were larger on the original.

http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​495139

Image Editing OK

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Nov 13, 2017 10:53 as a reply to Nighthound's post |  #339

Can't comment on the others but I used Zenfolio for a year and they couldn't pay me to go back to it. My biggest complaints were their abysmal support for self-fullfilment (despite marketing it as a selling point), and the way they turned the direct link to your photographs into an absurdly long alpha-numeric string of nonsense which leads to them being completely ignored by search engines.

Their forums were also full of really good suggestions from users that would get an initial response from Zenfolio saying they were looking into it, but those posts would be several years old with pages of additional users requesting the same changes or features and Zenfolio never actually took any action on any of them. At the time I left they had also been having serious months-long issues with their servers. Websites would be inaccessible, if they were up it could take minutes just to load a single photo, and all they had was excuses and very little in the way of any sort of effort toward implementing a solution.

Maybe things have changed in the last two years, but I wouldn't go near them.

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,118 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been edited 10 days ago by digital paradise.
Nov 13, 2017 10:55 |  #340

OhLook wrote in post #18495348 (external link)
Wrong thread?

You are correct. I'll delete it and this post in a bit. Thanks :-)

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

30,765 views & 123 likes for this thread
Photobucket Goes Rogue
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.