Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports
Thread started 09 Nov 2017 (Thursday) 05:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Recent Basketball Shoot

rjharris
Joined Mar 2010
Near Dallas
Nov 09, 2017 05:52 |  #1

I do banners for high school sports teams in the area. Here's a few examples of my latest project. Three lights and a composite background, first time using a green screen as I've always gone with white backgrounds and cut them out of that in the past.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,228 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 12 days ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 09, 2017 06:34 |  #2

I think you did quite well on the green screen. I don't see any telltale spill, which was always my issue in the past. I want to try to go back to doing a green screen, now that I have the lighting to do that much better, and know more than I did in the past. :)

The only thing I see on the 2nd shot is the light falloff at the ends, especially given the skin colors. Perhaps a couple AD200s added to the ends to help light that up could be helpful in the future, or punch up the power on one side if the light has the capability. The rim lighting looks good.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Noitca
Joined Feb 2011
Acworth, GA
Nov 10, 2017 07:27 |  #3

I did the same thing, as soon as I read green screen, I jumped to the player's edges to look for the cast. Nice job!

On the team photo, overall, I like it. I try and do team photos with my son's baseball and basketball teams (he is 10). In large part because of the work you have shared here :). I completely suck at posing them and having an overall vision/plan.

I am assuming that the post between #14 and #22 is part of the bleachers, as the grates are on the sides? Have you tried to clone that out? The post and the shadow it's casting on the wall seems to draw a lot of attention for me at least. I would say attempt the grates on the sides too, but that may be a bit more difficult as they are also in the floor reflection.

T1i with 18-55, 55-250, 50 1.8

goway
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Golden, Colorado
Nov 10, 2017 12:08 |  #4

I notice that you're shooting at a fairly slow (1/200) shutter speed with a non-IS lens. I'm assuming you're using a tripod? Is the lack of IS an issue for you hand-held?
Nice work!!

Bill Way
Golden, Colorado

tmalone893
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
Memphis, TN
Nov 10, 2017 12:27 |  #5

goway wrote in post #18493426 (external link)
I notice that you're shooting at a fairly slow (1/200) shutter speed with a non-IS lens. I'm assuming you're using a tripod? Is the lack of IS an issue for you hand-held?
Nice work!!

He is using a 24-70 and the shutter is well over double the focal length ,so IS really isn't needed.

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

goway
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Golden, Colorado
Nov 10, 2017 13:48 as a reply to tmalone893's post |  #6

Thanks - I hadn't thought that through.

Bill Way
Golden, Colorado

rjharris
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2010
Near Dallas
Nov 10, 2017 22:45 |  #7

The flash freezes the image pretty good and no I don't use a tripod although I did have it with me. The thing your referring to between 14 and 22 is the rails for the bleachers when they're pulled out. They're(the ladies) spread out a bit further than I'd like but they wanted all of the Athens Hornets in there so I just tried to make it work I could have cloned the rail out I guess but it never even entered my mind. Thanks for the compliments. On the green screen how I did it. I quick selected the green screen then inverted the selection to select the girls, then contracted the selection by 2 pixels then cleaned it up in the refine mask or whatever you call it on the new version now.

sponsored links

253 views & 5 likes for this thread
Recent Basketball Shoot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.