Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 15 Sep 2017 (Friday) 11:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Rangefinder digitals, options?

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 24, 2017 07:16 |  #181

Sounds good.

Not looking to re-build a fleet at this time, just curious, more things to tinker with that I have to see how things go. I ultimately do want to use lighting with the X100S often, as the goal is to simplify and reduce, not add to the equipment. But, for the long run, seeing how the lighting and stuff works with the unit would be good. If I expand the system, I'll likely get a TTL flash for the system eventually. For off-camera, if I can just trip the 560 III's, my indoor studio strobes, and my portable 600Ws strobe with basic radio triggers (non-TTL for that lot) then I'd be set. I was reading Godox has gotten some items that work, so that's interesting.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

sponsored links
MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 28, 2017 16:52 |  #182

X100S arrived. I've tinkered around with it, read some of the manual to get familiar, fiddled with it. Works like it should.

So far, first impression, is that it's got the features I was looking for and does the job. The focus is a lot faster than my EOS-M + 22F2 STM pancake was. Way faster. Not blazing USM fast. But, fast enough to actually get the moment and not just slowly creeping through the focus range like the EOS-M and 22 did. For that, I'm very happy, that was one big thing for me. It's really quiet. Not dead silent, but close. A few feet away and you can't hear that it's taking a photo in a quiet room. In public, you can't hear anything. Size and weight is good, a bit bigger than the EOS-M, but way way smaller and lighter than my 5Dc + 35 F2 IS. Everything feels good on it. Controls feel ok, obviously plastic, hopefully they hold out. Menu system isn't hard to get through, the GUI is fine, I have no moments where I'm trying to find Canon stuff. It's pretty straight forward. The lens is plenty sharp at F2 for general photos. F2.8 is quite sharp. F4 is very sharp. Manual focus works good with the EVF and focus peaking, so I can use it in the dark with no flash pretty decently and quickly. I really do enjoy the OVF for everything else. I do not enjoy the EVF at all. It's laggy and slow and horrible to look at for me. But, I really enjoy the OFV and it gives me that experience I want, and the ability to see everything happening. I am actually pleased so far with the auto-focus, where I don't worry when I'm using the OVF and F2 that I'm missing things. It seems to grab everything quite fine.

The SilkyPix software will take some time for me to get used to.

ISO 3200 & ISO 6400 are totally usable.

The flash does a great job at close range so far.

I still have to really play around with the film presents to see if there's something there I really like. I'm currently setting it to Astia/Soft.

Right now I'm shooting RAW+JPG (F). My goal is to get to just using JPG to cut the work flow. But for now I'll do both to learn how everything is and get used to the sensor and everything.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I may try to use this tonight with the girls. I won't bother posting a bunch of test garbage. Once I have a feel for the camera I'll join in a few Fuji threads.

Thanks again!

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Oct 28, 2017 16:58 |  #183

Glad to hear you are ferring what you need out of it. With Silkypics you can just convert from raw to TIFF and then import those into Lightroom. That might give you the flexibility.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 28, 2017 17:00 |  #184

If I shoot RAW, I can use the in-camera converter to output a JPG with presets and film simulation right? I figure it may be a good way to test a lot of JPG output values from one image?

Very best,

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Oct 28, 2017 17:03 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #185

You are correct

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 1 month ago by MalVeauX.
Oct 28, 2017 18:10 |  #186

So far, my wife & daughter can both use and like it too which is a big plus. They hate using my big cameras to the point of just avoiding them and using cellphones.

I found this one on eBay with around 4500 clicks on it, 9.5/10 condition, for $380 with some accessories and two batteries.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4454/37289484694_056ebd8652_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/YP9m​DU] (external link)IMG_9244 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4481/37289486734_a989a0beae_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/YP9n​g5] (external link)IMG_9240 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Oct 28, 2017 18:22 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #187

Success after a mere 13 pages. ;-)a Congrats.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 28, 2017 21:53 |  #188

Really great news:

My Rovelight 600B with the V2 transmitter fires directly from the Fuji X100S without any weird settings, hacks, or firmware updates on either end. And because it's a leaf shutter, I'm able to sync at high speeds without needing anything special. I'm HSS capable with Fuji with the basic stock transmitter and my portable 600WS strobe. Looking forward to trying this one out soon. Plus the built in ND filter.

Tested it and there's no black bars or weird long burn effect. Looks great. Tested 1/1000s, F2 and ISO 200 with the Rovelight on manual 1/128th power (no HSS enabled). No fancy settings. My first leaf shutter, so this is pretty nice for its simplicity.

Very best,

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 11, 2017 09:03 |  #189

So far, still enjoying the X100S. I really do enjoy the OVF in good light, like outside, etc. In the house, I switch to the EVF because it easily misses focus with AF in poor light (very dark inside the house, bad tungsten light, etc; find with window light). Being able to quickly switch to manual focus with EVF and focus peaking allows me to get shots in very dark light easily. I like how small it is, light, simple to turn on and just shoot with a custom profile I have for indoor and another for outdoor so I don't have to reconfigure the whole thing for my needs. I'm shooting RAW+JPG right now just to get used to how the JPG output is, and to have RAW files to mess with just to get some experience there. Learning to use Silkypix. It's clunky software honestly and the conversion process is slower it seems. Definitely would like to find a better RAW converter/editor in the future. But so far, the camera has completely replaced my EOS-M and pancake and I have no regrets about the switch. It focuses much, much faster than my EOS-M ever did. The silent leaf shutter is probably my favorite thing about it too. And the flash works so well and with the leaf shutter, syncing is so simple without tons of specialty lighting gear. It makes doing shots a pleasure. The files are nice. I like Fuji colors even though I'm doing a lot of B&W with this camera (I absolutely adore the whole family photojournalism thing). Lifting shadows is pretty good, not nasty. Manual focus is easy, the lens has good focus throw (relief!).

Things that are not so hot. The EVF is definitely laggy and not great. It works. I prefer the OVF. But inside I have to use the EVF or I'll miss shots and get composition off a little and I'll never know what it was even focusing on until I take the image. So indoor, I'm using EVF with AF and with MF and it works. But, I was disappointed with the slow laggy EVF. The battery life is terrible. I have 4 batteries now and I take at least 2 with me everywhere. I'm used to being able to have my camera on at all times, and the battery last literally all day. But now, with this, I can take some images, review a few things, maybe go for 2 hours tops and I'll start seeing that a new battery is coming up soon. So for extended outings, cannot forget to bring all 4 batteries. The 23mm F2 lens is nice, but it's a little soft wide open (sharp enough for me to enjoy but I can definitely tell its softer than my previous 22mm F2 pancake lens). F2.8 is plenty sharp. F4 and down is very sharp. I'm generally parked at F2.8 though inside, F8 outside. Flare performance is ok, not great. While the leaf shutter is a blessing and I love that, it also requires clunky operation when you go from dark light to bright light at fast focal-ratios without a simple way to switch a profile that already has the ND filter enabled. So I have to consciously remember to turn the ND filter on when I'm outside at fast focal-ratios. I definitely wish there was an ISO dial so that I could keep the ND filter programmed on Fn and still have quick access to ISO without having to press key commands a few times to get to it (Q, move to ISO, etc). I'm now using auto-ISO more and more to avoid having to get to it. Seems to be working ok and I'm getting used to it.

Lights: while this isn't my intended use, I had to try it with various lights, and I'm very pleased that it can trip and sync my YN560III fleet and my Rovelight 600B with the 560TX controller and/or the RF603 transceivers. They're generic to systems and work flawless for me so I have leaf shutter sync with them and a built in ND filter making outdoor fast-focal ratio lighting in the sun really simple and easy. Love it. Makes me want a leaf shutter and an interchangeable lens (I know this doesn't exist in smaller formats, so, oh well). Definitely happy that I can use my lighting through with this camera, regardless of it not being its purpose.

So far though, I'm liking Fuji. More and more I'm eyeballing an X-T1 ($500ish) in the future to get access to the 56 F1.2 and the 10-24 initially. Fuji isn't coming close to replacing my 1D system and long glass. But Fuji fits in nicely for my shorter range stuff and lighting work. We will see! It's only been around 2 weeks, still need to put a mile into it.

Very best,

speedync
Goldmember
Joined May 2011
Geelong, Australia
Post has been edited 1 month ago by speedync.
Nov 12, 2017 03:26 |  #190

I know you've already purchased, but I've been really really happy with my Panasonic GX8. That's a bit above your initial budget, but there are the newer GX80/85 depending on region, & the older GX7. The GX7 & 8 have a flippy EVF which I find invaluable, after using it for a while. I initially purchased the GX8 to solve my annoyances with the EOSM 1, but it has ended up relegating my 6D to the cupboard as well. Quite unintentionally. Lots of reasonably priced, sharp prime lenses to choose from too. The 14 f/2.5 is a gem. tiny, light & inexpensive. First lens I started out with. Eventually I updated to the Panasonic Leica 15 mm f/1.7, but that wasn't due to IQ deficiencies. The 25 mm f/1.7 is another great little lens. Once again, I updated to the Panasonic Leica 25 mm f/1.4, but that was just because I could. And I wanted the 1.4. The 42.5 f/1.7 is another absolute gem. Sharp, cheap, & with IS. All those lenses focus instantaneously, with a DFD Panny body, the do AF tracking pretty damn well too. There's the Panny 20 mm f/1.7 pancake, which is a little bit slower to focus, doesn't do continuous AF, but is sharp as a tack, cheap, light & tiny. Anyway, enough yapping, here's a few shots taken with the various lenses mentioned. Lots of odds & ends in there.
The 14 f/2.5. Can be had for a couple of hundred https://www.flickr.com .../albums/72157662969​121552 (external link)
The Panny Leica 15 mm https://www.flickr.com .../albums/72157676952​380316 (external link)
The 20 mm 1.7 https://www.flickr.com .../albums/72157662438​452779 (external link)
The 25 mm 1.7 Can be had for under 200 bucks https://www.flickr.com .../albums/72157662968​790692 (external link)
The Panny Leica 25 mm 1.4 https://www.flickr.com .../albums/72157677839​934106 (external link)
And one of my favorites, the 42.5 1.7 https://www.flickr.com .../albums/72157672561​190166 (external link)

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 12, 2017 07:25 |  #191

I did consider M43 sensors, and looked at some options smaller, but ultimately I knew I'd be using a lot of ISO 6400+ on this camera indoors, so I needed a larger sensor. I almost went Sony for the larger sensor and would love an A7S, but, the prices are not what I wanted to contend with having a full Canon system anyways, so I didn't want to venture into a complete spending spree just to get this option.

The EOS-M at ISO 6400 & 12,800 was usable. I had no real complaint about its ISO performance. Just the AF performance and the lack of a view finder (even if it were EVF) that wasn't external (and on the EOS-M 1, non-existent) which made it an LCD Live View only lens which was very annoying in many ways, but still, I think it was the AF sluggishness of the 22 F2 that finally did me in on it, missing moments as it slowly crept to focus and the moment was gone.

So far, the X100S is camping out near ISO 6400 most of the time inside, though its on auto-ISO when I'm not using flash, but it stays up there usually and I've yet to bother doing any noise reduction because its clean enough for the scale. I'm grainy of course at ISO 25,600, but I expect that from an APS-C (especially a few years old in tech).

Ultimately of course, only a few digitals give the rangefinder experience too, which was also a driving factor in the selection choices.

Very best,

sponsored links

6,258 views & 98 likes for this thread
Rangefinder digitals, options?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.