Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 13 Nov 2017 (Monday) 09:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Family Portrait (Still learning)

ummechengr
Joined Aug 2011
Memphis, TN
Nov 13, 2017 09:52 |  #1

I recently picked up a speedlite to help better illuminate my subjects. Me and my family are my guinea pigs as we needed a Holiday Family portrait for cards we send out to the grandparents/extended family. I think it's good enough for a mailer, but would love some CC so I can keep getting better. One area I know nothing about is "posing", so I'd really love some comments in that regard as well as general photographic improvement opportunities. Thanks!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Nov 13, 2017 10:00 |  #2

I think this looks pretty good.

I wouldn't mind seeing the little gap between you and your son closed up a bit. I might have your wife turn her head just a little more toward the camera so her eyes weren't so.....in the corner....have a little white on both sides. Your son looks great.

Did you do some work around the top of your head? There seems to be kind of an odd looking edge across the top.

I'm picking the nits here, overall it looks good.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

ummechengr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2011
Memphis, TN
Nov 13, 2017 10:29 as a reply to saea501's post |  #3

Thanks saea. I agree on the gap for sure. Good point on the eye position as well. I wanted the background to have some different levels to better bring out the colors in the leaves, while not affecting the subject. Since I haven't taken the leap to a razor for my head yet, it makes it tough for me to cleanly separate my buzzed hair from the background. Open to suggestions on that for sure.

flickr (external link)

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Nov 13, 2017 11:40 |  #4

ummechengr wrote in post #18495398 (external link)
Since I haven't taken the leap to a razor for my head yet, it makes it tough for me to cleanly separate my buzzed hair from the background. Open to suggestions on that for sure.

HA! I'm right there with you, brother. I do the same thing.....just buzz it real short. I can't bring myself to shave it either. :-(

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,229 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 8 days ago by TeamSpeed.
Nov 13, 2017 11:46 |  #5

A tip I would give is as follows:

- It seems like when I print, the prints end up a bit darker than what they appear on my screen, and I even have a calibrated system. The issue is that you don't get to control the printing service. So I like to brighten them up just a bit before uploading.

- I would add just a bit of contrast and saturation and leveling to punch this image up a small amount.

Other than that, I think it would make for a great Christmas card!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Nov 13, 2017 18:27 |  #6

My extra seven and a half centaurs would be a very obvious temperature shift between the family and the background.

See here, it will take 20 seconds of your time:
- open up the image in PS;
- put on a default photo filter and mask out the background, so it warms up only people;
- dublicate that layer again and put on about 60% opacity;
- put on a color balance layer and shift magenta/green slider a bit [-9] to the left, to get rid of a greenish tint of the photo.
Here you go, that's better :]

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,178 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Nov 13, 2017 19:49 |  #7

The adults' smiles look too frozen and unnatural for my taste. Only the boy has a relaxed expression.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Nov 14, 2017 13:48 |  #8

If you replace the background you need to color balance the image to match the background. This is what Olaf was referring to.

Another couple options.

Option1:
1. duplicate the background
2. do an average blur on it
3. place it above the subject layer
4. use the layer mask from the subject on the duplicate layer and put blend mode into overlay or softlight

Option 2:
1. duplicate the background
2. do an gaussian blur on it where it almost removes all detail
3. place it above the subject layer
4. use the layer mask from the subject on the duplicate layer and put blend mode into overlay or softlight

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

sponsored links

314 views & 2 likes for this thread
Family Portrait (Still learning)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.