Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro
Thread started 13 Nov 2017 (Monday) 14:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Water Drops

ummechengr
Joined Aug 2011
Memphis, TN
Nov 13, 2017 14:30 |  #1

Made my first attempt at water drops. I'd love to see more for inspiration.
There's a few more on my FLICKR.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)

HodjPodj
46 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Denver/USA
Nov 13, 2017 14:57 |  #2

These are great! Something I've wanted to try but haven't gone down that road yet. I just noticed something and please don't think I'm criticizing as I think both pictures are wonderful. But, when I was scrolling down on the first photo, my screen cut off the top part of the photo (the yellow portion), and I honestly feel it improved it a bit. I feel like the whole picture makes you look from the top down and honestly, I don't make it to the bottom. With the top portion cropped off, my eyes started at the bottom and worked up and it definitely made me appreciate the effort put into the photo a bit more.

Old Town Photo
Gear: Canon 6d, Canon T2i (Self modded, LPF2 removed/replaced with Baader IR Cut Filter for Astro), Canon EF 100mm f/2, Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 for Canon, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for Canon, and saving for Canon EF 100-400mm IS ii, Gitzo GT1532 Mountaineer tripod w/Gitzo GH1382QD Ballhead.

ummechengr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2011
Memphis, TN
Nov 13, 2017 17:58 as a reply to HodjPodj's post |  #3

That's a great point! I really appreciate the constructive criticism.:-)

flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,229 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 7 days ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 13, 2017 18:10 |  #4

That is funny, I just got into these too, due to a POTN member that posted over on the Godox AD200 thread.

Something to try, if you have the gear, is to run 2 flashes on opposite sides with different color gels, then place a 3rd color construction paper behind the water dish. You will get a myriad of colors, without using food coloring etc. The other thing I want to try is milk, because it should capture light in a different way than water.

I think I am going to order a raspberry pi and some hardware to be able program a solenoid to drop water at various rates and sizes.

Here is a link to a couple of mine, I didn't want to post an image as to not take away from your post, but it gives you an idea of what effect the gels are supplying.
https://photos.smugmug​.com ...09bf45/X3/FX8A4255-X3.jpg (external link)
https://photos.smugmug​.com ...47413d/X3/FX8A4022-X3.jpg (external link)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Nov 14, 2017 04:05 |  #5

Lovely captures.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

228 views & 1 like for this thread
Water Drops
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.