Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 15 Nov 2017 (Wednesday) 11:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What lens next?

Shaun ­ Liddy
Joined Feb 2016
Nov 15, 2017 11:08 |  #1

OK, i recently added a 5D3 to my body line up, so I now own both a 7D MKII and the 5D3.

I was going to sell my Tokina 11-20 2.8 but having second thoughts. It is great on the 7D2 (effectively 17.6mm FOV) and I technically can use it as wide as 16mm on the 5D3. Sure it suffers a bit on the 5D3, but it is technically usable.

I bought a Irix 15mm 2.4 and we'll, not super impressed and very limited to its use. It's going back.

I'm thinking to buy the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art as I see a lot of good feedback on it. While I am not well experienced in stitching, I have done it and see the benifits. Seems like a much better option than the 24mm 1.4 plus it will be a nice low lights close up lens.

At some point I could see the Sigma 14mm 1.8 being an interesting wide angle to add. This could serve for both night/daytime landscape or interesting shots of automotive, live performances etc.

Question is, which one first? Leaning towards the 35mm even though I own a Tamron 24-70 G2 which btw at first glance seems fairly good on stars at 24mm wide open. I will look more at the shots I took last friday.

sponsored links
Davenn
Joined Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia
Post has been edited 29 days ago by Davenn.
Nov 16, 2017 02:21 |  #2

Shaun Liddy wrote in post #18497107 (external link)

I was going to sell my Tokina 11-20 2.8 but having second thoughts. It is great on the 7D2 (effectively 17.6mm FOV) and I technically can use it as wide as 16mm on the 5D3. Sure it suffers a bit on the 5D3, but it is technically usable...............

Those couple of sentences don't make much sense ??

FOV is measured in degrees, not mm and it's going to be lots more than 17.6 deg

use it as wide as 16mm on the 5D3 ?? that also doesn't make sense .... on a 5D3 ( full frame sensor) the lens is going to be 11 - 20 mm

and my other comment is ... have you really posted this in the correct forum section ? you have make no reference at all of lens use for astronomy imaging

Dave

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,767 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 16, 2017 04:57 |  #3

Davenn wrote in post #18497602 (external link)
Those couple of sentences don't make much sense ??

FOV is measured in degrees, not mm and it's going to be lots more than 17.6 deg

use it as wide as 16mm on the 5D3 ?? that also doesn't make sense .... on a 5D3 ( full frame sensor) the lens is going to be 11 - 20 mm

and my other comment is ... have you really posted this in the correct forum section ? you have make no reference at all of lens use for astronomy imaging

Dave

C'mon Dave! People convert 'effective' focal length all the time. An 11mm lens on Canon aps-c has the same FOV as a 17.6mm lens would have on a full frame body. No mystery there.

Shaun stated that he could use the Tokina 11-20 on his 5D3 from 16mm to 20mm. Again, no mystery. At 16mm, the Tokina 11-20mm lens' projection covers the entire full frame sensor. From 16mm to 20mm the Tokina 11-20mm lens works without vignette on a full frame sensor. Of course it is still going to be an 11-20mm lens. He never claimed it would be anything else.

Shaun mentions several relatively fast, relatively wide lenses. I don't shoot starscapes, but isn't that the typical lens family for such subject matter? Not seeing the problem with that request, either. Seems like a good forum to get those kinds of answers, IYAM.

+++++++++++++++

Shaun, I'm kind of curious about your 11-20 on the 5D3. What don't you like about it. I just started experimenting with my Tokina 11-20mm on my 6D. So far, I have no complaints. What am I missing?

Tom

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Nov 16, 2017 08:45 |  #4

Bassat wrote in post #18497638 (external link)
I don't shoot starscapes, but isn't that the typical lens family for such subject matter?

I just started experimenting with my Tokina 11-20mm on my 6D. So far, I have no complaints. What am I missing?

With all your expertise in cameras and lens you shouldn't be missing anything except that since you don't shoot starscapes or know anything about DSOs' and astroimaging and FOV concerning the night sky that should be something you could learn here on this forum . I'm sure TC Campbell can enlighten you on any info you need or missing .

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 16, 2017 09:17 |  #5

Hmmm ... Astronomy & Celestial seems to be a nicely warm and welcoming corner of POTN. Put your feet up ... make yourself at home!

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

HodjPodj
55 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Denver/USA
Nov 16, 2017 09:35 |  #6

I'm actually a big fan of my Rokinon/Samyang 24mm f/1.4 but on crop it's not as wide. I also like the 14mm Rokinon/Samyang as well and work nice if you are going to be using them on both FF and crop sensors. Yes, they are manual focus but if you are doing astro and lanscapes, nothing is moving. I actually like the intimacy required to get that perfect focus on manual lenses and you can't blame a bad pic on anything but yourself. Both lenses are fairly inexpensive, $150-$350 used, and both are very sharp to the corners wide open. The only thing I'm concerned about is you are only looking at wide angle lenses which it seems you already have a few with decent quality, but as mentioned above, you start with wide angle on astro but end up going telephoto or telescope. I might think about getting a cheaper prime like the EF 200 f/2 as well to start pulling the good stuff a little closer. Orion is out early now and you could spend the whole winter just photographing everything within and around those stars.

Old Town Photo
Gear: Canon 6D, Canon T2i (Self modded, LPF2 removed/replaced with Baader IR Cut Filter for Astro), Canon EF 100mm f/2, Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 for Canon, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for Canon, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Gitzo GT1532 Mountaineer tripod w/Gitzo GH1382QD Ballhead.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Nov 16, 2017 11:03 |  #7

HodjPodj wrote in post #18497755 (external link)
I might think about getting a cheaper prime like the EF 200 f/2 as well to start pulling the good stuff a little closer. Orion is out early now and you could spend the whole winter just photographing everything within and around those stars.

I would love to see your images from that area with a 200mm f/2 . I've read in the past where that is a great lens . I use to use one way back when I started out with film which I really miss working with . Any prime from 100mm , 135mm and 200mm are great lens for astro work especially in the f/2 setting but honestly if a long exposure you might need to drop down to f/3.5-4.0 . I see you have astro work under your belt . Do you use any kind of auto guider mount ?

HodjPodj
55 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Denver/USA
Nov 16, 2017 11:32 as a reply to Celestron's post |  #8

I have a Meade 10" lx200 f/10 with Mitty Wedge with a Lumicon Giant OAG and QHY5L for guiding in which I either use it for prime or piggyback my T2i or 6D. I also have a Meade 8" lx5 on wedge. I would love to show my photos but I feel like they are lost in the never ending loop of post as I am never happy with the final results and keep going back to tweak this and that!

Old Town Photo
Gear: Canon 6D, Canon T2i (Self modded, LPF2 removed/replaced with Baader IR Cut Filter for Astro), Canon EF 100mm f/2, Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 for Canon, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for Canon, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Gitzo GT1532 Mountaineer tripod w/Gitzo GH1382QD Ballhead.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Post has been edited 29 days ago by Celestron.
Nov 16, 2017 14:13 |  #9

HodjPodj wrote in post #18497840 (external link)
I have a Meade 10" lx200 f/10 with Mitty Wedge with a Lumicon Giant OAG and QHY5L for guiding in which I either use it for prime or piggyback my T2i or 6D. I also have a Meade 8" lx5 on wedge. I would love to show my photos but I feel like they are lost in the never ending loop of post as I am never happy with the final results and keep going back to tweak this and that!

Please post them or if you have them on Flickr you can just post the link so we can see them . I know all about re-tweaking but doesn't seem like it's ever enough or you want to start all over again and that's ok too . Love to see them ! Don't worry about how good they are , not all of us are really perfect and some are good but it's ok ! I've retired from imaging but still love to see them . POTN has a great Tarantula Nebula on today : https://apod.nasa.gov/​apod/astropix.html (external link) but those are pro which i'm not and never was .

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,767 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 29 days ago by Bassat.
Nov 16, 2017 14:16 |  #10

Celestron wrote in post #18497732 (external link)
With all your expertise in cameras and lens you shouldn't be missing anything except that since you don't shoot starscapes or know anything about DSOs' and astroimaging and FOV concerning the night sky that should be something you could learn here on this forum . I'm sure TC Campbell can enlighten you on any info you need or missing .

Whoa! Talk about quoting out of context. The admission that I don't shoot starscapes is neither an expression of the desire to do so, nor the request for any information about doing so. It is, quite simply, a statement of fact: I don't do starscapes.

The lines were intentionally separated by +++ because they were addressed to two different people. That is evident from the context. I assumed addressing them directly by name, in two separate statements would convey that. My apologies for being so vague.

Perhaps you have some knowledge about the shortcomings of the Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 lens when used on full frame bodies?

Tom

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Nov 16, 2017 18:15 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #11

I'm aware you were addressing two people I read the ++++ . The way you addressed Davenn with quotes from the OP was kinda , as one might say kinda sarcasm . One might say not really on the polite side as far as approaching one whose hobby is different and how things are measured at night of space compared to day shots of landscape really is different . No I have no experience with the Tokina lens and I never mentioned that I did but I did mention a member that is very well knowledged to enlighten you with info that you probably are not familiar with since you don't shoot night scapes . I took your reply as being perhaps an expert on daytime shots since you projected simple knowledge that everyone knows that ?? Made me remember Eddie on the Leave It To Beaver show . No harm meant not comparing you to him , just made me think of him cause it's a great family show ! ;)

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Nov 16, 2017 18:41 |  #12

I'm no Astro expert but I hear the zeiss 15 does really well for it. I mention this as there is a copy for sale in the market place at far less than it costs retail. It isn't mine so I'm not trying to sell you on it. I have one but I'll never sell it.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|500px (external link)

Davenn
Joined Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia
Post has been edited 28 days ago by Davenn.
Nov 17, 2017 18:20 |  #13

Bassat wrote in post #18497938 (external link)
Whoa! Talk about quoting out of context. .....snip.......... My apologies for being so vague.

Exactly WHOA .... back off mate !!
you should be apologising for your attitude, not your vagueness !!

Celestron wrote in post #18498122 (external link)
I'm aware you were addressing two people I read the ++++ . The way you addressed Davenn with quotes from the OP was kinda , as one might say kinda sarcasm . One might say not really on the polite side as far as approaching one whose hobby is different and how things are measured at night of space compared to day shots of landscape really is different .............. snip.....

thanks Celestron ..... my thoughts exactly
To put it mildly pretty flaming rude !

Dave

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

sponsored links

506 views & 6 likes for this thread
What lens next?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.