Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 14 Nov 2017 (Tuesday) 01:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon or Nikon Full Frame camera

penduboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Nov 19, 2017 15:21 |  #16

Got Fuji X-T1 for a really good price and ordered various adapters form eBay.

I am also looking at a very lightly used (less than 8000 shutter count) Nikon D810 at my local camera store for about $1600 but not sure should I buy that one or just wait until Christmas for a better pricing for a new one or may be Canon 5d Mark IV.

Thanks

Pendu

sponsored links
Scottboarding
Joined May 2016
Feb 07, 2018 13:17 |  #17

I think you made a great choice! I despised adapting my Nikon lenses to my Canon. Wide open was fine, but once you stopped down, the viewfinder became pretty dark, and the metering was less than great. With a Nikon body, the lens will stay wide open until you fire the shutter (just like any native lens). Since getting my Olympus I love using the old manual primes. Being that it's an EVF and it reflects the exposure, you don't have to worry about the dark viewfinder or poor metering. Enjoy the X-T1, I've heard some really good things about it. I was torn between the E-M1 and X-T1 when switching, but ended up going with the Olympus for the AF.

Gear: http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

penduboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Feb 08, 2018 21:09 |  #18

Scottboarding wrote in post #18558666 (external link)
I think you made a great choice! I despised adapting my Nikon lenses to my Canon. Wide open was fine, but once you stopped down, the viewfinder became pretty dark, and the metering was less than great. With a Nikon body, the lens will stay wide open until you fire the shutter (just like any native lens). Since getting my Olympus I love using the old manual primes. Being that it's an EVF and it reflects the exposure, you don't have to worry about the dark viewfinder or poor metering. Enjoy the X-T1, I've heard some really good things about it. I was torn between the E-M1 and X-T1 when switching, but ended up going with the Olympus for the AF.

Yes, I am very happy with the image quality I am getting with the kit lens with my X-T1. In fact I went a head and ordered a Fuji X Pro 1 as well. I think at $500 brand new it was a steal. I love to shoot with rangefinder style cameras.

I have ordered various adapters to use my Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus manual focus lenses. I am going to buy a Nikon body to get use of some AF D lenses that I have collected including Nikon 85 1.4, 80-200 2.8, 180 2.8 and 300 f4.

I am not into latest greatest anymore as these 4-5 years old cameras are still give me amazing results.

Thanks

Pendu

Scottboarding
Joined May 2016
Feb 08, 2018 22:06 |  #19

penduboy wrote in post #18559686 (external link)
Yes, I am very happy with the image quality I am getting with the kit lens with my X-T1. In fact I went a head and ordered a Fuji X Pro 1 as well. I think at $500 brand new it was a steal. I love to shoot with rangefinder style cameras.

I have ordered various adapters to use my Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus manual focus lenses. I am going to buy a Nikon body to get use of some AF D lenses that I have collected including Nikon 85 1.4, 80-200 2.8, 180 2.8 and 300 f4.

I am not into latest greatest anymore as these 4-5 years old cameras are still give me amazing results.

Thanks

$500 brand new is absolutely a steal! I've never been able to afford the latest and greatest cameras, so my entire photography journey has been on "old" cameras, and I've yet to have any problems. I think we've hit the time where just about any interchangeable lens camera in the past 5 years is going to work just fine for most people. The 5Diii has been out for 6 years now, and it's still a very capable camera today.

Gear: http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

penduboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Feb 08, 2018 22:39 |  #20

Scottboarding wrote in post #18558666 (external link)

My Nephew bought Olympus mirrorless and he is very happy with his purchase. He love IBIS on his camera. When I bought my Fuji, I was also debating between Olympus and Fuji and in the end went with Fuji.

I still have Olympus OM 2 which I really enjoy using from time to time.

Thanks

Pendu

Chris.R
Goldmember
2,271 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Post has been edited 15 days ago by Chris.R.
Feb 09, 2018 07:23 |  #21

I have a bunch of Nikon and Canon stuff, for various reasons. (and an OM-2, somewhere)
A D810 or D850 with those lenses would be very nice.
Sony, Olympus, Fuji... do all make desirable cameras now though!

penduboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Feb 09, 2018 09:01 |  #22

Yes, you can’t go wrong with any manufacturers these days. They all make amazing cameras. I am in market for a Nikon body, Nikon D800E or D810 or D3s or D4. I can also consider D800 if I get a good deal on that.

Thanks

Pendu

tdlavigne
320 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Feb 20, 2018 10:08 as a reply to penduboy's post |  #23

Best budget-wise out of all those would be the D800e. Can find them all day long for $1000 used (just sold mine for $800 with 65k actuations). Too many D800's had the focusing problems. The E version was more or less exempt from them. D810 would be marginally better (a stop cleaner ISO, the 800's I found to be only good up to around 1600 at best) for maybe $1000 more on the used market.

D3 is ooooold tech, no point in buying nowadays. D4 is new enough that the pros generally want 2k+ for them, in which case your infinitely better off with a D810 or D500 if you're shooting sports.

Another option would be a D750, see them on sale from time to time. They were just $1250 or so a month ago.

penduboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Feb 20, 2018 21:05 |  #24

tdlavigne wrote in post #18568184 (external link)
Best budget-wise out of all those would be the D800e. Can find them all day long for $1000 used (just sold mine for $800 with 65k actuations). Too many D800's had the focusing problems. The E version was more or less exempt from them. D810 would be marginally better (a stop cleaner ISO, the 800's I found to be only good up to around 1600 at best) for maybe $1000 more on the used market.

D3 is ooooold tech, no point in buying nowadays. D4 is new enough that the pros generally want 2k+ for them, in which case your infinitely better off with a D810 or D500 if you're shooting sports.

Another option would be a D750, see them on sale from time to time. They were just $1250 or so a month ago.

very good advice....thanks. D4 is very expensive though I misses one sold for about $1600 with 50000 clicks on it.

Pendu

sponsored links

1,506 views & 3 likes for this thread
Canon or Nikon Full Frame camera
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.