Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 19 Nov 2017 (Sunday) 14:09
Prev/next
Poll"How many fisheye lenses have you bought or sold?"
One fisheye
58.3%
Two fisheye
41.7%
Three fisheye
0%
Four fisheye or more
0%
Rented or borrowed fisheye
0%

12 voters, 12 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How many Fisheye have you owned? Thoughts on Fisheye (wedding, people, etc.)

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Nov 19, 2017 14:09 |  #1

Actually, there's slim chance I will own Fisheye again. But I am very interested to learn about other photographer's experiences with use and ownership of these lenses. If I happen to get one, it will probably be in relation to weddings, but I suspect an ultra wide angle may be better. Personally, I've owned 2 fisheye, and bought and sold each one months afterward. They were fun for a couple weeks, then got old. After selling the 2nd one, the Canon 8-15mm, I told myself to remember getting a new one would likely mean selling a 3rd one soon after.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

sponsored links
Pigpen101
Joined Mar 2017
Nov 19, 2017 14:14 |  #2

I don't do weddings but love playing with my fisheye. Fisheyes "work" very rarely, but when they do they look great.

This guys loves them and I found the video interesting.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=e-WxCoDewbY (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Nov 19, 2017 14:28 |  #3

Pigpen101 wrote in post #18499844 (external link)
I don't do weddings but love playing with my fisheye. Fisheyes "work" very rarely, but when they do they look great.

This guys loves them and I found the video interesting.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=e-WxCoDewbY (external link)

I've seen that one before. He seems to put them to good use for his style of shooting. Some sounds more "spray and pray" than he explains, but he certainly must use technique. One thing that stood out, was his loose camera strap and I was wondering if he wraps the strap differently during weddings to avoid covering the lens. Otherwise it defeats the purpose. I'm guessing that hand straps could be very practical using two cameras that way, but haven't tried using them myself even for other lenses.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

Ian ­ Mackie
Don’t bait the TF, it’ll backfire on you.
Joined May 2013
From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"
Nov 19, 2017 14:31 |  #4

You didn't give an option for not owning/never owned or used one. :oops:

flickr (external link)

Pigpen101
Joined Mar 2017
Nov 19, 2017 14:31 as a reply to mdvaden's post |  #5

Fisheye shots have their uses but I just couldn't justify spending a lot of $$$ on a lens I'd use sparingly. That's why I bought the Rokinon version.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been edited 26 days ago by mdvaden.
Nov 19, 2017 14:34 |  #6

Ian Mackie wrote in post #18499857 (external link)
You didn't give an option for not owning/never owned or used one. :oops:

The thread text is the option for that.

Pigpen101 wrote in post #18499858 (external link)
Fisheye shots have their uses but I just couldn't justify spending a lot of $$$ on a lens I'd use sparingly. That's why I bought the Rokinon version.

That's why if I even got a 3rd one at all, it would be for my M5, which would cost about $200. But I did shop just in case. It's always possible.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,280 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 26 days ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 19, 2017 14:55 |  #7

A fisheye distorts all that it sees...even if an object is centered perfectly both horizontally and vertically, it will suffer from barrel distortion. For that reason, it might be 'fun' for a couple of shots, but it is too 'gimmicky' to be of general interest in weddings because few people want to be capture distorted or looking more portly than they really are.

OP himself well summarized, ", I've owned 2 fisheye, and bought and sold each one months afterward. They were fun for a couple weeks, then got old."

For myself, the poll lacks 'None' as a possible response, so I have not voted

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Nov 19, 2017 20:02 |  #8

I have owned a FE for quite a few years. I bought it for certain landscapes, and that is all I have used it for. Fortunately I can afford to have it hanging around without much use, but ready if I go somewhere it might be useful.

I think you have to have a specific image in mind that you want and use it just for that. It's not something I would think would work well just walking around looking for FE shots.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,015 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Nov 19, 2017 22:15 |  #9

Pigpen101 wrote in post #18499858 (external link)

Same. I owned a Canon 15mm FE but sold it to fund another purchase. I sort of missed it but didn't want to spend at much so I got the Rokinon. I don't mind the manual focus because at f/5.6 pretty much everything is in focus.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Nov 19, 2017 22:33 |  #10

How many I owned? Zero. Thoughts? I don't need it for people. Or else...

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
Joined Jul 2012
Funchal
Nov 20, 2017 08:32 |  #11

None. I don't see it has a valid option for what i shoot: landscapes.

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Nov 20, 2017 09:41 |  #12

Azathoth wrote in post #18500318 (external link)
None. I don't see it has a valid option for what i shoot: landscapes.

A place I shoot often is the redwood coast. I've seen a few fisheye photos that look interesting, and likewise a few wedding photos from that area. But I felt both would look even better had they been taken with a wide or UWA ..

Hokie ­ Jim
Joined Jan 2016
Hillsborough, NC
Nov 22, 2017 08:25 |  #13

Never owned one, nor really felt the need to.

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Canon 6D | 16-35 f/4L IS | Zeiss Milvus 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 580EXII | Gitzo 1410MK2/RRS BH-55

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 22, 2017 08:28 |  #14

Seeing that you can get a good sharp Fisheye (all manual) for under $200, I don't see much of a reason not to try it out. It's not tying up a ton of cash, and you get to have fun and who knows what you'll get out of it.

Get a used Rokinon/Samyang. I've certainly spent more on dinner for the family.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Nov 22, 2017 15:37 |  #15

MalVeauX wrote in post #18501727 (external link)
Seeing that you can get a good sharp Fisheye (all manual) for under $200, I don't see much of a reason not to try it out. It's not tying up a ton of cash, and you get to have fun and who knows what you'll get out of it.

Get a used Rokinon/Samyang. I've certainly spent more on dinner for the family.

Very best,

And with a good used lens like that, someone could practically get every dime back if they sell it in good condition.

sponsored links

1,090 views & 1 like for this thread
How many Fisheye have you owned? Thoughts on Fisheye (wedding, people, etc.)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.