Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 22 Nov 2017 (Wednesday) 20:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Mini tripod question....confused

renodcc
Joined May 2011
Nov 22, 2017 20:33 |  #1

I'm talking about those mini tripods like the ones from manfrotto that only rise maybe 6-8 inches from the ground. Sometimes I take low angle portrait shots but it's definitely not my preferred perspective. So if you commit to taking one of these for travel let's say, are you stuck with that perspective for portraits? Am I missing something?

Thanks for your time.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 22, 2017 20:45 |  #2

I wouldn't think of using a mini-tripod for portrait, other than maybe self-portrait to grab memories. Travel and mini-tripods to me are for getting something super compact for landscape and/or wildlife (low to the ground).

But I'm thinking of extremely small and low to the ground tripods... like 2" and 3" type things.

Ex:

Quick landscape or self-portrait type thing:

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...wE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1​249619 (external link)

Wildlife with heavy equipment laying on the ground:

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...baby_grand_cf_tripo​d.html (external link)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

Hokie ­ Jim
Joined Jan 2016
Hillsborough, NC
Nov 23, 2017 00:57 |  #3

renodcc wrote in post #18502341 (external link)
I'm talking about those mini tripods like the ones from manfrotto that only rise maybe 6-8 inches from the ground. Sometimes I take low angle portrait shots but it's definitely not my preferred perspective. So if you commit to taking one of these for travel let's say, are you stuck with that perspective for portraits? Am I missing something?

Thanks for your time.

I've heard of those being used in places that are normally pretty anti-tripod; something you can pack in your bag and pull out to stabilize against a wall, or get a quick shot where a full-size 'pod would be verboten.

But I've never personally had a use for one, as my big Gitzo goes all the way to ground level with no center column.

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Canon 6D | 16-35 f/4L IS | Zeiss Milvus 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 580EXII | Gitzo 1410MK2/RRS BH-55

SailingAway
285 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Nov 23, 2017 01:16 |  #4

IMO there’s a place for low-angle & ground level. But not for a conventional portrait!

I’ve put a pocket tripod with a velcro strap under a point & shoot camera - put it on a picnic table, a bench, a mailbox, a trash can. Strap it to a signpost, a railing, put it on a car.

If the only choice is no tripod or a pocket-sized mini tripod, well, it’s nice to have! It certainly doesn’t take the place of standard sticks.

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

212 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mini tripod question....confused
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.