Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 22 Nov 2017 (Wednesday) 14:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Being unobtrusive in bridal preparations

shadowdancer
208 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Brisbane, Queensland, Aust.
Nov 22, 2017 14:18 |  #1

Is it important to be unobtrusive when photographing bridal preparations? If so, how do you manage to blend into the background? Do you use flash when photographing the bridal preparations? If so, do you use on-camera flash or off-camera flash? And for what stages of the bridal preparations do you use flash (e.g. bridal portraits, the rings, at every stage of bridal preparations)? If there is plenty of light, I don't use flash; but if the room where the bride is getting ready is quite dark, I use off-camera flash. If I don't use flash under these circumstances, I have a low shutter speed (occasionally producing motion blur) and high iso (producing noise). Recently, I have been using primes with my Canon 5div and I like the natural light appearance of this combination. However, these pictures lack the sharpness and detail of the photos where I have used flash.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Nov 22, 2017 14:26 |  #2

I'll use flash if I have to in order to get the necessary shots. I try to keep away from people as much as possible. If you can, open up curtains or other sources of natural light. It's totally fine to request the bride to do some specific things by a window instead of away from it too.

I think of it as setting the stage for action. It's not posing per se, but rather directing people to be in a specific spot and then letting them do what they are going to do naturally. For actual posed stuff then you should be able to use window light with a scrim or something to help. If the room just has no light sources then typically I'll be bouncing flash off of the ceiling if possible.

If you're finding that you're lacking the sharpness you require and you've already opened up to the max aperture, using the slowest shutter you're comfortable with and highest ISO you are comfortable with, then it's time for something else and that can really only be additional light from somewhere.

Gear List

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Nov 24, 2017 12:03 |  #3

I use TTL. I find it's usually good enough, and needs little PP in the way that all I need to do is lower or raise highlights or exposure. This shot is an example of that.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Sometimes I'll use my Pentax 50mm manual focus (adapted) on my Canon.
HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
The above image is a good example, it has natural window light on a cloudy day, and a wide aperture so I could keep SS up as high ad possible.

No flash and a normal 3.5 and above apertures run the risk of being too dark with 1/160th sec which I prefer for a sharp shot. Depends on how much natural light there is. For example, a shot with all 3 bridesmaids in dressing gowns clinking glasses together needs a wider focal length of say 28 or 35 mm. The lenses I have are F3.5 and upwards, so even zooming in a little lowers aperture to 5 or 5.6, which is too dark without flash, and I find that even as high as 1/120th sec can give you blur.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

864 views & 2 likes for this thread
Being unobtrusive in bridal preparations
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.