Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 19 Nov 2017 (Sunday) 07:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Desktop computer upgrade question

Amarinelli
Joined Apr 2009
United States
Nov 19, 2017 07:06 |  #1

I am now getting together information to purchase a new computer for photo editing. I use high megapixel cameras 32 MP's and run Photoshop. LR and several other photo editing programs. I shoot weddings so I edit literally thousands of photos so speed is very important. I am looking to gain speed by upgrading my current computer I 7 3.4 Ghz 3rd Generation , 16 GB ram . 2 TB Sata HD,NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 so it has been doing a pretty good job but it is 4 years old I am now considering this to kind of increase performance and somewhat future proof for the next 4 or 5 years Here is what I am considering: Dell XPS 8920 Intel I7 7 th Generation 4.2 Ghz 64 GB Ram, 1Tb ssd + 4 Tb HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 730. I do only picture editing and no video editing so my question is will this upgrade significantly increased my performance?Thank you in advance

Alan

www.Marinelliphotograp​hy.com (external link) www.facebook.com/marin​elliphotography (external link)
Canon 5D Mark IV x2|Canon5D Mark III x 2|Canon 7D| Canon 6D|||L| Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS MK II | Tamron 24-70 vc|Canon 24 -105 L| |Canon 70-200f/4 is L| Sigma 35 mm art| Kenko 1.4 Extender| 600 EX-RT x2|

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,504 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 25 days ago by John from PA.
Nov 19, 2017 09:14 |  #2

That's a pretty powerful machine you have already!

Personally I would consider dropping money into a 512 GB SSD (or 1 TB if affordable) for the existing machine, bumping RAM to 32 GB, and moving the 2 TB Sata drive into a drive bay, if available. Then with proper configuration I think you would realize improved performance that is on a par with what you are considering.

Guys that are using PS and LR on an every day basis will likely offer some good recommendations.

Jethr0
Joined Aug 2012
ON, Canada
Post has been edited 25 days ago by Jethr0.
Nov 19, 2017 10:33 |  #3

I agree with John. SSD and some memory of you’re close to maxing what you have now.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/jefflowe.ca (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,867 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Nov 19, 2017 12:25 |  #4

Agree with everyone else. Put your OS and caches on a new SSD, keep your images on spinning disk, performance will be not far off a new machine.

You will get some performance improvement with a very new CPU, but I don't think it will be as much as you might like. Look at cpubenchmark.net for your current and potential future CPU, focusing on single thread performance, as a lot of the interactive work is likely to be single threaded. If it's not absolute minimum 25% faster, don't bother.

For example, my 2600K is 1942 / 8468 (single all threads) and the 7700K is 2581 / 12105. That's 32% faster single threaded. The question is how much of the time is waiting for the CPU, and how much is waiting for the user? Batch jobs would be a bit faster, if all CPU cores are used, which is unlikely.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,277 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 24 days ago by Wilt.
Nov 19, 2017 13:23 |  #5

tim wrote in post #18499784 (external link)
If it's not absolute minimum 25% faster, don't bother.

Judging only by clock speed, OP is considering i7 4.2 GHz vs. i7 3.4 GHz...a difference of 24% based only on CPU clock speed

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tim
Light Bringer
50,867 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Nov 19, 2017 14:41 |  #6

Wilt wrote in post #18499815 (external link)
Judging only by clock speed, OP is considering i7 4.2 GHz vs. i7 3.4 GHz...a difference of 24% based only on CPU clock speed

Clock speed is largely irrelevant.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Amarinelli
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2009
United States
Nov 19, 2017 15:36 |  #7

Wow I love all the great advice I have received it now gives me a lot to reconsider and to price out upgrades to just the ram and adding a ssd drive and see where I am.

www.Marinelliphotograp​hy.com (external link) www.facebook.com/marin​elliphotography (external link)
Canon 5D Mark IV x2|Canon5D Mark III x 2|Canon 7D| Canon 6D|||L| Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS MK II | Tamron 24-70 vc|Canon 24 -105 L| |Canon 70-200f/4 is L| Sigma 35 mm art| Kenko 1.4 Extender| 600 EX-RT x2|

-dave-m-
Joined Sep 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Nov 19, 2017 16:08 |  #8

An SSD will give some performance boost in Lr with caching, in my experience it makes little difference while actually editing(ie. moving sliders, applying filters, switching layers) which relies heavily on single core performance of the cpu. With the price of RAM these days I would not be investing in more DDR3 when it is a dead form factor and would not be usable in a newer build. If you want to keep this current build going for several years, it maybe worth the investement, otherwise it's wasted money if you decide to upgrade in the near future.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

Amarinelli
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2009
United States
Nov 19, 2017 17:51 as a reply to -dave-m-'s post |  #9

That is where I am torn I may make these upgrades and then in another year or so decide to go with a complete new unit my current set up will be 5 years old in the spring so there are lot of other things to consider ....the one I am looking a does have 64GB DDR4 Ram . Thank you for your information with LR since I use that a lot

Dimitris
281 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Nov 20, 2017 00:06 |  #10

I would buy an add. You will see a major upgrade in speed. Also you can use it later for storage of you decide to buy another machine.

http://www.dimitriszer​vas.com/external link

tim
Light Bringer
50,867 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Nov 20, 2017 01:00 |  #11

I don't think you'll get much gain from more than 16GB if you get an SSD. You'll maybe be able to fit a larger set of raw images into RAM, but with the cache on an SSD and images on a spinning disk I don't think having them in RAM will help all that much. Without an SSD the disk caching could be useful.

alex66
202 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Nov 24, 2017 15:46 |  #12

If you buy a new machine go for the 8th gen Intel, might as well have the latest gen, also they appear to be a lot more powerful. The 730 is a quite out of date GPU, I would look at the 1050 or similar now, if you are spending a load of cash on it its probably better to get the latest. Though as others have said an SSD will give you a big performance boost, I would get a 1tb and also a 256gb the latter for OS and apps. 32gig of ram would be a useful PS likes ram it seems. Upgrading could get another couple of years out of the machine so you might be able to jump more generations then.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

sponsored links

517 views & 0 likes for this thread
Desktop computer upgrade question
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.