Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 20 Nov 2017 (Monday) 19:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

CPU Cooling Options-New PC Build

Jelloneck
Joined Nov 2010
Raleigh, NC
Nov 20, 2017 19:53 |  #1

So I'm finally replacing my previously built pc. I am buying everything new as it is that old and behind with the tech. Will only be cannibalizing my HDD's

Here is what I've come up with so far. I'm mainly looking for help on what cpu cooler to use and if I can get by with a 550 watt power supply. I will not be putting a graphics card in as I will not be using this for gaming or video editing (although I may try my hand a video later, but just basic stuff with my fuji gear).

Specs
CPU: i7-7700k
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z270-A
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)
Storage: SSD or possible M.2 (Only looking to have 120/250GB internal...for now)
Power Supply: Corsair CX550 or 650 if more power is needed
Case: Fractal Design Define C mid-tower
CPU Cooling: Help!!

I've looked at the Noctua NH-D15 and the Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3. As I'm not planning on overclocking the processor, I'm not sure if those coolers are overkill for my specs. I am open to liquid cooling as well although I am concerned about the system breaking and causing damage inside the machine. Any suggestions?

Gear List/Feedback |Instagram (external link)|

sponsored links
silvrr
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2007
Chicago,IL
Nov 20, 2017 20:23 |  #2

550W is actually overkill if you are not going to run a GPU.

see here for some data. http://www.tomshardwar​e.com ...7600k-i5-7600,4870-8.html (external link)

the rest of the components will draw very little power in comparison.

A hyper 212 from cooler master would be plenty for your cpu. The noctua would likely be quieter at the cost of well cost and size.

Canon 6D l 24-70 f/4L l 100L l 430EX l 430EX II l Kenko Extension Tubes l Sigma 50 Art
flickr (external link) FeedBack

rrdubya
Joined May 2012
Nov 20, 2017 21:14 |  #3

The Cryorig H7 is a nice air cooler. For an AIO liquid cooler the Fractal Design Celsius S24 is nice. It will be quieter but costs about 4 times as much as an air cooler. Also, if you’re not going to overclock, you don’t need the k chip.

silvrr
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2007
Chicago,IL
Nov 20, 2017 21:20 |  #4

rrdubya wrote in post #18500807 (external link)
The Cryorig H7 is a nice air cooler. For an AIO liquid cooler the Fractal Design Celsius S24 is nice. It will be quieter but costs about 4 times as much as an air cooler. Also, if you’re not going to overclock, you don’t need the k chip.

While I would normally agree, the K variant is cheaper on both Newegg and amazon. The coupled with better resale value makes it a no brainier.

Canon 6D l 24-70 f/4L l 100L l 430EX l 430EX II l Kenko Extension Tubes l Sigma 50 Art
flickr (external link) FeedBack

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Nov 21, 2017 03:34 |  #5

Jelloneck wrote in post #18500755 (external link)
I am open to liquid cooling as well although I am concerned about the system breaking and causing damage inside the machine. Any suggestions?

I'm also interested in this question. What are the drawbacks to liquid cooling? How likely could a leak occur?

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

-dave-m-
Joined Sep 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Nov 21, 2017 07:19 |  #6

If you are not planning to overclock and only do photo editing there is not much benefit to an AIO watercooler even on a CPU like the 7700k that tends to get hot when pushed. A good air cooler with some quiet fans will be quite adequate with zero risk of leakage(the risk of leakage from an AIO is low, but not 0).

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
2,913 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Nov 21, 2017 09:23 |  #7

I've used Noctua coolers on my multiprocessor workstations. To be quiet, their fans and fins can be quite large. However, they are good at keeping the CPU cool while staying quiet.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

HorribleAvatar
Joined Aug 2015
Salt Lake City, USA
Nov 21, 2017 10:14 |  #8

I'm using this on a 7700k right now, I don't overclock so it works really well. The install was easy and the fan doesn't get too noisy even after extended gaming sessions.

https://www.amazon.com ...age_o05_s00?ie=UTF8​&psc=1 (external link)

flickr (external link)

Jelloneck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2010
Raleigh, NC
Nov 21, 2017 19:47 |  #9

Thanks for the info. I ended up going with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and the 550 watt power supply. Looks like I should have everything by end of week so I know my weekend plans!

Gear List/Feedback |Instagram (external link)|

tim
Light Bringer
50,867 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Nov 25, 2017 11:09 |  #10

I have a Noctua cooler but it's so huge I can't access some of the motherboard slots. The standard Intel cooler (if they still supply them) would be fine for most people, but the 212 is a good choice too.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

353 views & 0 likes for this thread
CPU Cooling Options-New PC Build
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.