Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 25 Nov 2017 (Saturday) 14:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Which microSD Card as Storage Drive?

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Nov 25, 2017 14:48 |  #1

Just purchased an HP Envy 13" laptop with 512GB SSD and a microSD slot, and I have two questions:

1) Is the microSD slot a safe way to store additional data, such as photos, videos and documents?

2) If so, which microSD card would you recommend? Larger the better.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,015 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Nov 25, 2017 15:14 |  #2

Micro SD cards aren't nearly as fast as SSDS so take that into account. I'd say they're probably not as reliable as an SSD but you should be backing them both up so it shouldn't be an issue. Sandisk and Samsung make great flash storage products.

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Nov 25, 2017 15:19 |  #3

mike_d wrote in post #18503958 (external link)
Micro SD cards aren't nearly as fast as SSDS so take that into account. I'd say they're probably not as reliable as an SSD but you should be backing them both up so it shouldn't be an issue. Sandisk and Samsung make great flash storage products.

I'm only going to store things like photos, videos and documents in a microSD, and yes, I ALWAYS back them up in several other locations. I just don't want to clog up the entire SSD space with these.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,885 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Nov 25, 2017 16:48 |  #4

mSD cards are good for temporary storage; but, for long term storage, you'd be better off getting an external, USB hard drive. A 200 gigabyte mSD will run you around $50, whereas a 2 TERABYTE external drive runs only about $15 more...

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...ltra_uhs_i_microsdx​c.html (external link)
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...backup_plus_portabl​e.html (external link)

The USB 3.0 drive should give you at least as good, if not better, access performance and you're much less likely to misplace it ;)

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Nov 25, 2017 17:00 |  #5

Snydremark wrote in post #18504005 (external link)
mSD cards are good for temporary storage; but, for long term storage, you'd be better off getting an external, USB hard drive. A 200 gigabyte mSD will run you around $50, whereas a 2 TERABYTE external drive runs only about $15 more...

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...ltra_uhs_i_microsdx​c.html (external link)
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...backup_plus_portabl​e.html (external link)

The USB 3.0 drive should give you at least as good, if not better, access performance and you're much less likely to misplace it ;)

Thanks for the links. I already have a 2TB external drive. Since I have no use for the mSD slot in my new HP Envy laptop, I want to just stick a card in it as an additional storage drive. Not a bad price shown on your first link.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,015 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Nov 25, 2017 19:12 |  #6

I'd like to know who inside HP thought anyone wanted a micro SD card reader instead of full-sized SD.

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Nov 25, 2017 19:45 |  #7

mike_d wrote in post #18504088 (external link)
I'd like to know who inside HP thought anyone wanted a micro SD card reader instead of full-sized SD.

LOL, I'd like to know, too! I almost went with Dell XPS 13" with the SD card slot, but this HP had better specs especially for photo and video editing PLUS $200 less. An mSD slot was a minor inconvenience at that point.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links

172 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which microSD Card as Storage Drive?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.