Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 22 Nov 2017 (Wednesday) 13:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Upgrade 5D2 to 6D2?

akamac
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Nov 22, 2017 13:05 |  #1

I have been shooting with the 5D2 for almost 8 years now and have been eyeing an upgrade for a while. While the logical move is to go for the 5D4, I am not ready to spend that kind of money.

For me, I use manual or center point focus 99% of the time, though that could be because of the bad focusing of non center points for the 5D2.

The main thing I am looking for is better low light performance as I have been getting into Astro photography a lot in recent years. But the articulating screen is intriguing.

My lens kit is built for full frame and I am used to “seeing” as my camera does with the lenses, particularly my 24 TSE 2. So moving to a crop would be difficult at best.

Is the 6D2 a worthy upgrade to the 5D2 when it comes to performance and image quality? The extra bells and whistles like WiFi/nfc/gps are just that and do not weigh too heavily on my decision.

Thanks for any help/information.

Sean

sponsored links
kawi_200
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Everett, WA
Nov 22, 2017 21:01 |  #2

I have been in the same boat for a while now too. I was waiting for a 6D2 announcement too see the specs. My (and many other's) biggest issue was the AF system. I used center point 99% of the time because it was easier. I had stepped from a 1D3 to the 5D2 and never got over the loss of AF. That said, I never had too much issue with low light. I either was doing long exposures or using a 24mm f/1.4L or an f/2.8 IS lens.

I definitely see the 6D2 as a worthy upgrade to the 5D2. Personally I am also wanting the 5D4 for the stronger metal body and the bit better weather sealing. I still haven't made a choice which I want.

5D4 or 6D2..... Waiting to find out which I buy | 8-15L |24-70mm f/4L IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,407 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Nov 22, 2017 23:40 |  #3

The 6d would be a good upgrade and at a good savings too. Its AF system, at least the center point and the low light capability, is much better than the 5d2.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,760 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 23, 2017 00:10 |  #4

I briefly considered upgrading my 6D to the 6D2. If you are looking for peripheral AF points, take note of how crammed into the center the AF points are on the 6D2. The 5D3 may be a better choice for you.

Tom

akamac
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Nov 25, 2017 07:00 |  #5

The AF in the 6d2 has basically the same spread the 5d2 has, as the 5d2 inherited the focus system from the 40d. Also being most of the time I use a couple of manual focus lenses I am still not sure how much the AF will matter. I just know having it available would be a positive.

I have been doing research for a while now and I have read the main complaint with the 6d2 is the DR. But earlier this week I dug into that, and the DR is better than the 5d2 so I dont see it as a hinderance.

With all of the other improvements, low light being one of the major gains, I have gone ahead and ordered the 6d2 kit from B&H. The printer deal was too good to pass up. I briefly looked for a used 5d3, but many were priced more than the new 6d2 kit.

Thanks for all of the input!

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 25, 2017 09:10 |  #6

While you have already gone the route of the 6D2, if you truly are getting into astrophotography, worry less with trying to have a fancy sensor or fast glass, and instead put the least expensive but most effective tool into your kit for astro, which is a tracker. A cheap $300 one will do magnitudes more than the latest camera and fastest glass. Take a look at the SkyWatcher StarAdventurer for a great portable system that can grow into more over time that is really inexpensive and works.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

akamac
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Nov 26, 2017 16:10 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #7

To date I have done nothing but static tripod shots at 20-30 seconds. I am also in the midst of researching a good tracker. Right now I am leaning towards the SkyGuider Pro...though the Skywatcher is also in the running. I have been mainly concerned with weight if I try to go with a slightly larger lens. Right now I am going no larger than the 70-200 f/4 non-IS.

Thanks for the info. I am sure I will be digging and posting more questions for the astrophotography pieces soon.

sponsored links

341 views & 3 likes for this thread
Upgrade 5D2 to 6D2?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.