Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Thread started 10 Nov 2017 (Friday) 15:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Thought Provoking Image

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Nov 10, 2017 15:53 |  #1

Along about 1968 the Vietnam War was what occupied every aspect of the news media. There were hundreds of photojournalists that were embedded with the troops, many of which were killed. I remember seeing a picture at the time that just left me dumbstruck. It's one of those images that takes a second or two for you to realize what it's saying. I never saw it again.

I remember that picture very clearly so I tried to recreate it.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4568/24447247638_056974c843_b_d.jpg

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com ...282@N06/with/382034​70844/ (external link)

sponsored links
mark48
903 posts
Joined Jun 2011
South Central Kentucky
Nov 21, 2017 20:46 |  #2

That's a great thought provoking image. It's an entire story unto itself.

saea501
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Nov 22, 2017 06:05 as a reply to mark48's post |  #3

Thanks, Mark. I'm glad you got it.

This image really made an impression on me many years ago and I thought that it would do the same thing here....especially when seen by so many photographers. So I'm surprised that it didn't generate more interest.

But, hey......

Bob

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
5,277 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Nov 22, 2017 06:11 |  #4

saea501 wrote in post #18501653 (external link)
So I'm surprised that it didn't generate more interest.

It did make an impact on me. But, I couldn't say anything that would do justice to it.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,095 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Nov 25, 2017 20:10 |  #5

Thanks, Mark. I'm glad you got it.

This image really made an impression on me many years ago and I thought that it would do the same thing here....especially when seen by so many photographers. So I'm surprised that it didn't generate more interest.

But, hey......

Maybe because the photo does not represent a state of war zone...in anyway or forms. The camera body looks too intact. The front element part has a hole and it could be interpreted as a bullet hole. But that's just implying...not a direct reference.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

saea501
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Nov 26, 2017 05:52 as a reply to TooManyShots's post |  #6

What would the 'state of a war zone' look like when you shoot a picture of a patch of ground from a foot away? Why could it not look like this?

Why should the camera body not be intact if it was being used only moments before? It wouldn't necessarily be blown apart depending on what it was hit with. Plus, we can't see the back of the body so we really don't know what state it's in.

"The front element part has a hole and it could be interpreted as a bullet hole. But that's just implying...not a direct reference." I don't know what to make of this statement.......implyi​ng...not a direct reference? Well, lets see......maybe it got hit by a baseball.....or a car......

I didn't make this to be critiqued. I recreated it as best I could from a picture that was in fact shot in a war zone. The original looked pretty much as you see here. There was nothing remarkable about the ground per se, the camera was laying in tall weeds just like this, yet it was shot on a battlefield in Vietnam. The camera in the original was indeed hit by a bullet yet was intact as you see here.

I made this because the original had a huge impact on me and I was trying to recreate that emotion here. Clearly, it failed to do that with you, which is fine. I think that may be because you are looking at it as something new that I made up and was looking for critique, which I was not. You're putting too much thought in to this but I appreciate your time.

Bob

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,095 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Nov 26, 2017 10:51 as a reply to saea501's post |  #7

Maybe I didn't grow up during the Vietnam war. So...the photo would need to work on me more to convey what it is intended. I am just fishing for the idea why it didn't generate much interests here...that's all...

Facebookexternal link

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,316 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Post has been edited 21 days ago by OhLook.
Nov 26, 2017 11:22 |  #8

TooManyShots wrote in post #18504395 (external link)
Maybe I didn't grow up during the Vietnam war.

I think you've hit on a major reason.

Bob, for most people alive today, that war was never a current event. JFK's assassination, Watergate–a lot of things that seem turning points are merely incidents in history for them. This fact isn't news to you, of course. What's harder to understand is the effect on individuals' sense of what has happened. Then, some who are old enough lived in other countries. It wasn't their war.

Some may not even have any associations with the lyric in your signature.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

saea501
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Nov 26, 2017 14:52 |  #9

TooManyShots wrote in post #18504395 (external link)
Maybe I didn't grow up during the Vietnam war. So...the photo would need to work on me more to convey what it is intended. I am just fishing for the idea why it didn't generate much interests here...that's all...

OhLook wrote in post #18504420 (external link)
I think you've hit on a major reason.

Bob, for most people alive today, that war was never a current event. JFK's assassination, Watergate–a lot of things that seem turning points are merely incidents in history for them. This fact isn't news to you, of course. What's harder to understand is the effect on individuals' sense of what has happened. Then, some who are old enough lived in other countries. It wasn't their war.

Some may not even have any associations with the lyric in your signature.

The fact that the original was taken during the war in Vietnam really has no bearing on this at all. Wartime photojournalists have embedded with fighting troops since WW II. What struck me about this was that I envisioned this person with their camera to their eye and this bullet hit it's mark. That, to me, was a very powerful statement.

Alive during the Vietnam war or not, we all have a pretty clear understanding what the result would be in the scenario above. So it really has nothing to do with Vietnam per se, this could have happened in any battle.

And, as I said previously, this picture makes an impression on you or.......it doesn't. As is true with many pictures, regardless of their content. We all have seen or have made pictures that really strike something within us, could be funny, sad, beautiful.......it is what it is to you.

If this one does nothing for you, so be it, we move along.

With regard to the lyric in my signature......I am quite certain that most that see it have no clue as to it's provenance. Which is fine because that's more for me than anyone else. This has a very special meaning for me. ;-)a

Bob

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,095 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Nov 26, 2017 16:31 |  #10

But there are enough WWII movies to romanticize that era., fyi....

Facebookexternal link

saea501
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Nov 27, 2017 05:05 as a reply to TooManyShots's post |  #11

? ?

Bob

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,095 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Nov 27, 2017 09:57 as a reply to saea501's post |  #12

Hmmmm...a photo has no intrinsic value. Something in which you are trying to prove that it has by recreating shot from the past. It has to be viewed and understood in its social context. The Vietnam war was an unpopular war. The entertainment industry didn't even try to romanticize it. We got movies like Rambos and whole of others depicting the shady aspects of the war. For WWII, there are too many positive movies about it (Saving Private Ryan, Schilder's List, and I can go on and on). The public has a positive perception about the US involvement in the war, regardless how long it happened. Generally, I don't like the political motivation behind the US involvement in the European theater. That's another story.

Facebookexternal link

lijoec
Joined Jan 2009
Long Island
Dec 09, 2017 14:40 |  #13

saea501 wrote in post #18493575 (external link)
Along about 1968 the Vietnam War was what occupied every aspect of the news media. There were hundreds of photojournalists that were embedded with the troops, many of which were killed. I remember seeing a picture at the time that just left me dumbstruck. It's one of those images that takes a second or two for you to realize what it's saying. I never saw it again.

I remember that picture very clearly so I tried to recreate it.

QUOTED IMAGE

I can a appreciate what you felt and the impact that image could have had on an Individual . The only way to do it better is if it was the original .thank you for sharing.

Cheers,
Joe

chris001
Joined Dec 2014
Fort Worth, TX
Dec 11, 2017 12:05 |  #14

I love it!
I went and searched the web with every combination of camera, Vietnam, found, etc.
I found these, which are pretty scary as well....

I'd love to find that one you are talking about!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Thanks!
Chris
flickrexternal link

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Dec 11, 2017 12:33 |  #15

. . . I'm surprised that it didn't generate more interest.

TooManyShots wrote in post #18504119 (external link)
Maybe because the photo does not represent a state of war zone...in anyway or forms.

saea501 wrote in post #18504278 (external link)
What would the 'state of a war zone' look like when you shoot a picture of a patch of ground from a foot away? Why could it not look like this?

I understand what TooManyShots is saying. . The scene surrounding a war-damaged camera could look like that ....... but the scene around a camera that was not damaged in battle could also look just like that, as well.

If most North Americans saw this photo without any context, and without anyone saying anything about it being from a war, how would they know that the lens damage was caused by military combat?

If a part of a corpse was in the background, or the foreground, and was dressed in what was obviously a military uniform, then I would "get it", and know that the setting was probably a battlefield. . I would also "get it" if there was a part of a military-looking rifle or a bayonet or something like that somewhere in the frame. . But without any visual content that depicts military involvement or warfield combat, I wouldn't have any idea how the lens got a hole in it, and therefore wouldn't even think about a war when I saw the picture.

I do really like the photo, however, and think that you did a really good job composing it. . I especially like the degree to which the camera is behind the vegetation - any more covered up, and the subject starts to lose its visual impact. . Any less covered up, and it starts to lose that "it's been here for a while, unattended, and abandoned" look.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

sponsored links

824 views & 22 likes for this thread
Thought Provoking Image
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.