Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 19 Nov 2017 (Sunday) 15:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

6D to ????? need help downsizing

oahumike
Joined Sep 2012
Honolulu
Nov 19, 2017 15:47 |  #1

Hey guys. It's been a while since I've posted but I haven't been using my 6D or even carrying it me since I've had my 6 month old. I love shooting photos but have been wanting to do video a little bit also. My wife is starting a vlog (not sure how serious this is going to be) so I'm looking at trading/selling my 6D kit (24-105L, 50 1.8 STM, and TT860 flash).

I am looking at getting 2 cameras with not spending ANY money other than what I get for my 6D. I was up late last night looking at buying a m3 kit for my wife (refurb comes with viewfinder from canon til the end of the month) and an m6 for me. I was pretty excited about it but haven't gotten a lot of reviews on it as of yet.

Basically I am looking for an entry level vlog camera (hopefully with a mic input) for my wife and a decent range camera for me without spending money. Anyone got any insight? I was looking at the a5100 and an a6300 also.

Please help!

6D
24-105L
17-40L
I would encourage you... To just go for it.

iAMB
838 posts
Joined Mar 2009
St. Louis
Post has been edited 27 days ago by iAMB.
Nov 20, 2017 11:56 |  #2

Are you looking handhold this camera or tripod mount? Are you thinking of Youtube or Instagram style? I know some who use their dslr for Youtube handhold vlogging since the length of the lens acts as their balance and grip of the camera when turned on themselves. An external mic is also useful. Instagram vlog just use their iphones.

Its worth trying the 6D and lens you have before selling it.

Canon 6D Mk I
24-70mm F/4L , 70-200mm F/4L , 50mm 1.8 I , Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 & 35mm F/1.4
"I'm so far behind, it looks like I'm winning"
-Adam

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Nov 20, 2017 12:04 |  #3

Well, supporting wife is priority. For sure...
In my own experience with video logs, nothing beats iPhone. It is perfect for short home and family videos. Up to three minutes. It is much better to have many short videos, instead of eighties, nineties one hour tape video. We have done it as well as parents :).

Now, kids photography. As long as it is plenty of light it doesn't matter which camera it is, as long as it works for you in terms of handling. For my wife cameras with working auto mode works best. She takes great portraits with it. But somehow I can't make it works indoors. I need to control aperture, shutter speed, ISO and flash. DSLR like 6D is great for it. But it is very difficult to use with kid if you are not at home. Too large and bulky, heavy if you are involved with kid, not just taking pictures from the side.
Canon M still are not going to make big difference, IMO. Camera has to be pocketable. Well, I prefer it in the belt pouch if it is the camera. Mobile phone is for the pockets.
This is how it works with child for me. I need both hands. And camera, if on the stripe will eventually bump into child sooner or later. Not good. This is why while I'm with my child outside, camera is in the pouch. Once I get a chance, cameras goes out and takes picture. Surprisingly, it works best in auto mode, if outside. Iphone or small, really small P&S.

Anyway, based on my experience, DSLR is great for home. Nothing is even close to 6D for it. FF, but most important true high ISO. It is 6D and only in this price bracket. Outdoors, where it is enough of the light, have fun and take it easy. Where are some great, little P&S still available. Not expensive ones.

And last thing. I don't think you are going to take photos and video by same time, both of you. One camera for stills, one phone for video is going to work great, IMO.
You already have one camera and most likely decent phone...

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 19 days ago by MalVeauX.
Nov 28, 2017 08:33 |  #4

oahumike wrote in post #18499921 (external link)
Hey guys. It's been a while since I've posted but I haven't been using my 6D or even carrying it me since I've had my 6 month old. I love shooting photos but have been wanting to do video a little bit also. My wife is starting a vlog (not sure how serious this is going to be) so I'm looking at trading/selling my 6D kit (24-105L, 50 1.8 STM, and TT860 flash).

I am looking at getting 2 cameras with not spending ANY money other than what I get for my 6D. I was up late last night looking at buying a m3 kit for my wife (refurb comes with viewfinder from canon til the end of the month) and an m6 for me. I was pretty excited about it but haven't gotten a lot of reviews on it as of yet.

Basically I am looking for an entry level vlog camera (hopefully with a mic input) for my wife and a decent range camera for me without spending money. Anyone got any insight? I was looking at the a5100 and an a6300 also.

Please help!

A few suggestions maybe:

The camera used for the vLog doesn't matter much, other than if it has easy access to a computer or whatever she's using to capture & edit. A lot of people use a simple dSLR with video capability and a flip out LCD that articulates so that they can see their setup faster, easier, without having to preview it to know they're even in the frame. A little T3i will do this for dirt cheap for example. Lighting is often neglected for someone starting out, as they don't realize the good videos are done with lighting. A decent constant light source would be a huge improvement over house lights (like a constant light source LED panel). Microphones make a huge difference. Get a little shotgun microphone or something like that. Don't use the camera's microphone. Bad audio stinks. You want to have a much better capture to work with and shotgun mics are nice to reduce some ambient from the house or wherever else you are and just try to capture voice of the subject. Battery life matters, video eats batteries on all cameras; Go smaller like mirrorless and you'll find even less battery life. My suggestion is to get an AC adapter or lithium power pack with dummy battery for whatever camera system you want to use, so that you are not constantly struggling with battery life. Research what you can do with the model you choose before buying. The camera matters so very little honestly when it comes to this, and it's far more important to have good lighting, good audio, and good video processing/editing.

I would avoid the Canon M series completely, other than the M5, but even then I'd avoid it. You will get frustrated with a lot of what they lack for what they cost. If you want to go mirrorless, look at Sony & Fuji.

So again, here's what I'd look at for your budget without spending more than what you can get for your current camera & kit:

1) Sell 6D and look for 60D, T3i (cheap and good, articulating screen for easier setup by a single person to see themselves; these are $250~300 tops and do the job great which frees up a lot of money for other things).

2) Get a shotgun microphone or condenser microphone depending on style of vlog capture (I use both, condenser is good for voice over, shotgun is good all around). The shotgun, like this Takstar (external link) is inexpensive but does a great job in noisy environments without getting to crazy.

3) Get a constant light source, like a nice little LED panel with barn doors. Example of a good starting light: CL-1300B (external link) & Barn Doors (external link). Light matters! Add a decent Boom Light Stand (external link). Now you can get creative anywhere with an AC outlet.

4) Get a good tripod system if you don't already have one to hold all this equipment (you don't want it all falling over, etc).

5) Sell the 24-105L. Keep the 50mm F1.8, it's a good video lens (turn off AF leave it in M focus). If you need a wider faster lens, consider something cheap like a Yongnuo 35mm F2 ($80!) they're sharp and great, again leave it in manual focus to setup your session. Use the funds from the 24-105 to purchase a new fun around the house camera for yourself.

6) With left over funds, get good video capture/editing software suite. Something to learn and live with for a while. Don't just try to use free stuff (you can do this, but it's a lot easier and faster to have something that actually helps you with preset stuff, themes, sliders, easier splicing, intuitive GUI, etc. I can't suggest something because everyone has a preference. There are lots of free ones, as vlogging is often a bare bones cheap start up, but you will outgrow free ones fast if you really get into this).

7) Get a little Fuji (like the Fuji E-S2 used) or a Sony mirrorless and a little short lens for around the house and general use so you have something other than a cellphone, but that is small and powerful. Or just use your cellphones if you really don't care to bother with cameras anymore. Your call.

Or just use a smartphone and use an app to edit if not serious.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

335 views & 2 likes for this thread
6D to ????? need help downsizing
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.