Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 15 Mar 2017 (Wednesday) 15:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Seriously thinking about moving to nikon

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Nov 28, 2017 01:37 |  #151

TheNewLegend wrote in post #18301813 (external link)
Hi,
I currently have a canon 6d and I want to make an upgrade.
I was thinking about the canon 5d mark iv but it is really expensive.
I really want a camera with far better DR, auto focus system, more FPS and MP will be nice too.
Since the 5d mark iv costs so much I was thinking about moving to Nikon, the only problem with that is changing my whole canon lens collection, and I'm not sure if theres a Nikon equivalent lens for every canon lens i have.
Canon 16-35mm f\4 IS - this is the best lens I own, I just love it and I'm not familiar with a Nikon equivalent ( - 14-24mm doesn't take filters)
Tamron 24-70 2.8 is (I'm not pleased with this lens anyway)
Canon 50mm 1.8 (wanted to upgrade to sigma 50mm art 1.4 anyway)
canon 100mm f2.8 macro
Samyang 85mm 1.4
canon 70-200mm f4

I was thinking about Nikon D750 or d810.

Any advice?

The idea of this kind of post is a amusing. At first I thought is this someone from Nikon posting anonymous, then spotted over 100 posts by your user name. If you were starting from scratch, it would sound less funny. But I can't see why Canon or Nikon owners would switch to the other side if they were invested in a lot of gear. The question you asked, could be asked in reverse ... "does Canon have an equivalent for every Nikon lens?" ... and the bodies aren't too far apart.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

EricJrSax
Joined Sep 2013
Baltimore
Nov 28, 2017 09:58 |  #152

mdvaden wrote in post #18505652 (external link)
The idea of this kind of post is a amusing. At first I thought is this someone from Nikon posting anonymous, then spotted over 100 posts by your user name. If you were starting from scratch, it would sound less funny. But I can't see why Canon or Nikon owners would switch to the other side if they were invested in a lot of gear. The question you asked, could be asked in reverse ... "does Canon have an equivalent for every Nikon lens?" ... and the bodies aren't too far apart.

There are enough differences between the two where a switch would reasonable IF those differences are important to the owner. There are a lot of shooters switching from Canon and Nikon to go over to Sony as well, are you saying those decisions are unwarranted as well? I mean in the end, few photogs are unable to tell the difference in SOOC images,... especially JPEGs. However, there are quite a bit who can,... Nikons tend to shoot a little cooler than Canons, Sony tends to favor magenta more than both Nikon and Canon. Then there's the way the camera falls into the hand and the approach to capturing the image, which is very important to some. There are some photogs who love the way Sony approaches taking pictures with the 'eye AF', EVF, and silence,... but absolutely hate the way it falls into the hands. Point is, there are more reasons to consider moving from one platform to another other than Dynamic Range.

I started with Canon, as most people did in the past. But as I began to understand more about photography, and the fact that my school is stocked exclusively with Nikon, it didn't take me long to recognize the advantages Nikon had over the Canon I owned. Luckily for me, I wasn't heavily invested into any ecosystem,... I was still borrowing lenses from friends and mentors, and Nikon bodies and glass from school. I thought I was doing something when my parents helped me upgrade from a hand-me-down Canon T5 to the new Canon 70D,... whew! Then high school happened, and I was introduced to the world of Nikon, and medium format and 35mm film,...whoa! The rest ain't hard to figure out,... Nikon!

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Nov 28, 2017 12:11 |  #153

EricJrSax wrote in post #18505813 (external link)
There are enough differences between the two where a switch would reasonable IF those differences are important to the owner. There are a lot of shooters switching from Canon and Nikon to go over to Sony as well, are you saying those decisions are unwarranted as well?

If I were starting from scratch ... I view Nikon and Canon, and partly Sony, as each having so much available, that any "system" would seem more than adequate. Unless there was a specific niche or need. So I can imagine choosing any from scratch. But with so much available for all of them, switching brands seems pointless and expensive. Assuming there's no special need.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

11,750 views & 121 likes for this thread
Seriously thinking about moving to nikon
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.