Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 09 Oct 2017 (Monday) 02:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

SailingAway
285 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Oct 27, 2017 12:20 |  #31

Wilt wrote in post #18482317 (external link)
...I have a really tall tripod, but it seldom goes outside with me at 9.5 lbs. without head.

Me too. IMHO no one tripod does it all! Currently I have 5 in the lineup: light, standard, video, xtra tall, and tabletop. Various still and video heads get traded around on them, depending.

Everyone's needs are different, too! If I have a tripod with me when hiking, it will be the lightweight, not the xtra tall! I find I use the big rig to provide a high-angle shot for timelapse of people doing stuff, though I originally bought it to shoot over crowds. The tabletop doesn't get used on tables, it spends most of its time on the ground.

I am a bit of a sucker for camera support. As Wilt & Tom wrote, low angles and high angles are some of the primary tools of composition. Don't miss them! Oh, and you might need to carry a stepladder, too!

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

sponsored links
lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,927 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Nov 19, 2017 20:55 |  #32

SailingAway wrote in post #18482373 (external link)
Me too. IMHO no one tripod does it all! Currently I have 5 in the lineup: light, standard, video, xtra tall, and tabletop. Various still and video heads get traded around on them, depending.

Everyone's needs are different, too! If I have a tripod with me when hiking, it will be the lightweight, not the xtra tall! I find I use the big rig to provide a high-angle shot for timelapse of people doing stuff, though I originally bought it to shoot over crowds. The tabletop doesn't get used on tables, it spends most of its time on the ground.

I am a bit of a sucker for camera support. As Wilt & Tom wrote, low angles and high angles are some of the primary tools of composition. Don't miss them! Oh, and you might need to carry a stepladder, too!

My heart is telling me to get the GT1545T even though it sounds like you guys are telling me to get the GT2545T. I'm still waiting for the prices to come down. We're about a week away from BF and I see no indications there will be a sale.

Btw, which tabletop tripod are you using? I am looking at one of the Mefoto ones at the moment.

SailingAway
285 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Nov 19, 2017 22:01 |  #33

I went with the Feisol TT-15 tabletop (external link) - nice little sticks, the only height adjustment is leg spread. Very low or really darn low! RDL for me, as the additional spread is needed for stability.

My light sticks are about the same class as the GT1545. For me, they are my general purpose still sticks. My Series-2 sticks are needed for stability under any super-telephoto, for me that’s the Tamron 150-600mm with a lens plate on a Wimberley sidekick, on a chinese mid-weight ball head, on a leveler, on the sticks. A very easy and fast setup with the leveler, highly recommended for any sort of gimbal. But I will use the light sticks with an Acratech GP for almost everything else.

70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,927 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Nov 21, 2017 21:22 |  #34

SailingAway wrote in post #18500126 (external link)
I went with the Feisol TT-15 tabletop (external link) - nice little sticks, the only height adjustment is leg spread. Very low or really darn low! RDL for me, as the additional spread is needed for stability.

My light sticks are about the same class as the GT1545. For me, they are my general purpose still sticks. My Series-2 sticks are needed for stability under any super-telephoto, for me that’s the Tamron 150-600mm with a lens plate on a Wimberley sidekick, on a chinese mid-weight ball head, on a leveler, on the sticks. A very easy and fast setup with the leveler, highly recommended for any sort of gimbal. But I will use the light sticks with an Acratech GP for almost everything else.

Thanks for the tip. I have heard about it and it does seem like a pretty viable option. What happens if you want a little more height? Is there a possible extension/accessory one can add to the TT-15?

SailingAway
285 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Nov 22, 2017 01:50 as a reply to lsquare's post |  #35

Well, short sticks like the Feisol approach are really kind of a one trick pony. AFAIK there’s not a good way to extend them.

At the next set of heights, maybe 10” & up, a tripod with an available short column or flat plate would work with legs out wide. I’m most familiar with the Gitzo and their knockoffs, they work pretty well for that. The MT series have available short columns, there is also the Systematic series where the entire column assembly comes out and is replaced by a flat plate. Or, available initially with a flat plate.

MaxImage
53 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Hawaii
Nov 28, 2017 17:22 |  #36

lsquare wrote in post #18500098 (external link)
My heart is telling me to get the GT1545T even though it sounds like you guys are telling me to get the GT2545T. I'm still waiting for the prices to come down. We're about a week away from BF and I see no indications there will be a sale.

Btw, which tabletop tripod are you using? I am looking at one of the Mefoto ones at the moment.

This thread will help to shed some light on the MeFoto Globetrotter vs Gitzo discussion. Though with your setup, you may not need something as robust as the Globetrotter.

With tabletop tripods, though I haven't used one, I had read on numerous occasions and have gotten testimony on people liking the RRS tabletop offerings. That said, like the Gitzos, these offerings don't come cheap either.

In the 1545T vs the 2545T discussion, either should offer up a good amount of stability for your heaviest setup given the equipment list in the start of this thread. However, for someone of your height, the traveler series might be a tad short to use even with the camera + ballhead, thus use of the center column might come into play depending on your shooting style. Additionally, whether or not you choose to use the center column vs the last set of leg sections to achieve the sweet spot in terms of stability in a given terrain. If not using the center column is preferable, then perhaps looking into a non-traveler 1 or 2-series would be a better solution.

sponsored links

1,685 views & 9 likes for this thread
Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.