Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 27 Nov 2017 (Monday) 13:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

6D Rear LCD Easily Scratched?

david.g.photo84
48 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Nov 27, 2017 13:22 |  #1

I'm not a newb by any means, but I am not a pro either. I have gone through plenty of Rebels and have just made the jump to full frame by purchasing the 6D. I was using my 6D yesterday and noticed some scratches on my rear LCD, which astounded me because I am always careful with my gear IMO. Neither of the Rebels that I have owned ever had this happen in the years of using them, but found this odd since this was a more expensive camera at a price point that was much steeper than the Rebel line of cameras. I know that the scratches don't interfere with the shots you take, but they irk me when I see them during picture preview...I know the plastic LCD protector can be replaced rather inexpensively and I will buy the replacement part to replace it with at a later date if I get more scratches. Has anything similar happened to anyone else? I've only had the camera for a couple of weeks, so it's odd that this happened so quickly and I also always keep it in my camera bag, but I guess anything could have scratched it. I hold my camera in an Optec sling and suppose that my zipper, button or anything else I was near could've scratched it.

Sorry for the rant.

Regards,

David

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,221 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 27, 2017 13:53 |  #2

My 6D will be five years old next month. It has about 20,000 shots on it. It has been to Wrigley Field, and on walking tours of Chicago numerous times. The rear screen still looks fine.

Tom

david.g.photo84
THREAD ­ STARTER
48 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Nov 27, 2017 13:59 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #3

Must be my luck than. I have 2 kids and am always chasing them around and yesterday we were at a playground playing, so I wonder if it's something that could've happened then. I'm going to by the glass LCD protector from Amazon and will replace it in the future if this starts to bug me more.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 27, 2017 14:11 as a reply to david.g.photo84's post |  #4

We buy it to use it. Sometimes our kit is going to take some damage along the way.

Exposing gear to risk is the flip-side of making sure we have interesting photographic opportunities. Buy it ... use it ... maintain it well ... but don't wrap it in cotton wool.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Nov 28, 2017 08:31 |  #5

I also keep cameras in the case and not tossing them around. But if camera is valuable, I always put screen protect ASAP. If I can't find right one ASAP, then dirt cheap cut out goes on temporary. Can't tell that is more or less scratchable this way. Then I sell the camera it has none or minimum scratches because of this.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Post has been edited 2 months ago by EverydayGetaway.
Nov 28, 2017 09:47 |  #6

I've always just used glass screen protectors on all of my cameras. They cost $10-15 and once their on you can't even tell they're there. My protectors eventually always get scratched up most likely from zippers on the front of my clothes when the cameras are around my neck, but if there are ever enough scratches to annoy me all I have to do is remove the protector and get another one (only had to do this once in 6 years).

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

eddieb1
708 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Nov 28, 2017 11:34 |  #7

DaviSto wrote in post #18505286 (external link)
We buy it to use it. Sometimes our kit is going to take some damage along the way.

Exposing gear to risk is the flip-side of making sure we have interesting photographic opportunities. Buy it ... use it ... maintain it well ... but don't wrap it in cotton wool.

I’ve found that bubble wrap works much better. ߘ

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 28, 2017 11:48 |  #8

eddieb1 wrote in post #18505886 (external link)
I’ve found that bubble wrap works much better. ߘ

And it's more entertaining too. Pop a few square inches whenever you're bored.

David.

eddieb1
708 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Nov 28, 2017 18:35 |  #9

DaviSto wrote in post #18505903 (external link)
And it's more entertaining too. Pop a few square inches whenever you're bored.

:mrgreen:

Eastcoast
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2004
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia Canada
Nov 28, 2017 19:23 |  #10

I scratched mine the first year I had it during a trip to MOAB utah and had it scrape against a rock I was climbing over. Finally bothered me so much that I went and bought a replacement screen and replaced it. Wasn't a lot of cost and easy to do. If you do a search on the net there are several videos on how to do this. If you want I can find the link where the I found the link for the replacement screen canon part number.

John
Be careful out there!

david.g.photo84
THREAD ­ STARTER
48 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Nov 29, 2017 14:02 as a reply to Eastcoast's post |  #11

Thanks for the replies! It doesn't bother me as much anymore as it did when I had first noticed them. They're roughly 2 small scratches in the center, but if there is shade than I can't really tell they are there. I have just purchased 2 of the glass protectors from Amazon that I had seen mentioned around here somewhere and think that I will hold off on replacing it until it gets any more damage, which hopefully won't happen (knock on wood).

Bassat
7,221 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 29, 2017 14:16 |  #12

david.g.photo84 wrote in post #18506813 (external link)
Thanks for the replies! It doesn't bother me as much anymore as it did when I had first noticed them. They're roughly 2 small scratches in the center, but if there is shade than I can't really tell they are there. I have just purchased 2 of the glass protectors from Amazon that I had seen mentioned around here somewhere and think that I will hold off on replacing it until it gets any more damage, which hopefully won't happen (knock on wood).

For what it's worth, I cleaned the rear screen on my 6D, and closely examined it. There are a few minor mars in the finish. I don't obsess about such things. When I buy a new car, I always park right next to the cart return when out shopping. That way I get the first dent, and I can stop worrying about it. My daughter (36) just bought her first new car. She got a parking lot dent and paid the body shop $900+ to fix it. Now she has to worry about that 'first dent' all over again. She is insane. Pretty sure that is inherited.

Wear your scratch proudly; it means you actually USE your camera.

Tom

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,686 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 2 months ago by John from PA.
Nov 29, 2017 15:21 |  #13

DaviSto wrote in post #18505286 (external link)

You are aware that cotton is a plant and wool comes from animals, typically sheep. ;-)a

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 29, 2017 15:26 |  #14

Bassat wrote in post #18506822 (external link)
For what it's worth, I cleaned the rear screen on my 6D, and closely examined it. There are a few minor mars in the finish. I don't obsess about such things. When I buy a new car, I always park right next to the cart return when out shopping. That way I get the first dent, and I can stop worrying about it. My daughter (36) just bought her first new car. She got a parking lot dent and paid the body shop $900+ to fix it. Now she has to worry about that 'first dent' all over again. She is insane. Pretty sure that is inherited.

Wear your scratch proudly; it means you actually USE your camera.

My idea of the perfect car is the one with the totally battered and apparently broken bodywork and fantastically perfect internals (mechanicals, electricals and coachwork). That way you can ride in perfect luxury with power and control at your command ... and no other b*****d who is selfish enough to try to share the road with you is going to put their shiny, pristine piece of junk anywhere near you ... apart from the truck and bus drivers of course but at least you've reduced the field.

My vision would be to have those pre-battered rigs built brand new.

David.

Bassat
7,221 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 29, 2017 16:55 |  #15

John from PA wrote in post #18506869 (external link)
You are aware that cotton is a plant and wool comes from animals, typically sheep. ;-)a

You are certainly correct. Does that mean steel wool comes from steel sheep?

Tom

sponsored links

3,073 views & 4 likes for this thread
6D Rear LCD Easily Scratched?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.