Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 14 Nov 2011 (Monday) 15:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Elinchrom Users Only (Mark IV)

F2Bthere
760 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Nov 28, 2017 01:13 |  #10066

"I've decided to move (slowly) to Elinchrom, for reasons I won't bore people with!"

I don't think we would be bored.

Perhaps I'm too much of a lighting nerd and Elinchrom fan. :)

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

sponsored links
ted ­ krazonowski
Joined Jun 2011
Devon UK
Post has been edited 19 days ago by ted krazonowski.
Nov 29, 2017 06:57 |  #10067

F2Bthere wrote in post #18505649 (external link)
"I've decided to move (slowly) to Elinchrom, for reasons I won't bore people with!"

I don't think we would be bored.

Perhaps I'm too much of a lighting nerd and Elinchrom fan. :)

The main reason for the change was that although I use mostly 200ws units and only rarely need more power, at a recent shoot I just needed an effects light with just a bit more oomph. Now I do have a 930ws light, it is monstrously large & heavy and doesn’t use the Multiblitz ‘P’ mount but the larger more pro ‘V’ mount, so I bought a lower cost Multiblitz ‘P’ 500ws Profilite, however after nearly a year of use, I’m missing the fast recycle times and short flash durations of the Plus range that I currently use. So after a bit of procrastination decided to splash out £999 on a new ‘V’ mount X5 (500ws) head, only to find out when I went to order it the price had increased to a (for me) unjustifiable £1329! So spurred on to look elsewhere I kept coming back to the Elinchrom ELC Pro HD 500’s better specified, plus the creative modes and over £600 cheaper. Now I’d already purchased a D-lite One some time ago to use as a head to get into tight spaces with a few modifiers, also over the years I’ve used many Elinchrom units without any issues, so know them quite well operationally & felt it made sense to go down this route. I’ve no issue in mixing differing brands and over the years have indeed used; Bowens, Bron & Hensel amongst others. A quick look at the secondhand market shows that there is little chance of recouping enough cash on my Mutliblitz kit (due to their high cost & low market share in comparison to other brands) to make it viable for a wholesale switch of brands, so I’ll still be a Multiblitz user, but also an ELinchrom one as well, from now on.

the real meexternal link

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Nov 29, 2017 09:42 |  #10068

I started with Elinchrom as my first strobe, so I never needed to change!!!

Now I’ve got some 7 Eli strobes. I’ve made it a habit to buy one piece of gear a year on top
of what’s actually needed for shots. Modifiers mostly. Sometimes a new stand... whatever’s a good deal at the time.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

ted ­ krazonowski
Joined Jun 2011
Devon UK
Nov 29, 2017 17:22 |  #10069

Well I wouldn't mind an ELB 400 and probably get a few modifiers as time goes on - compared to Multiblitz they're nice and cheap!

the real meexternal link

F2Bthere
760 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Nov 29, 2017 23:36 |  #10070

Thank you for posting about your experience. I enjoyed reading it.

I followed the link in your signature and also enjoyed further reading on your website.

ted krazonowski wrote in post #18506950 (external link)
Well I wouldn't mind an ELB 400 and probably get a few modifiers as time goes on - compared to Multiblitz they're nice and cheap!

The modifiers are what drew me to Elinchrom.

The ELB 400 has its advantages, but several issues dissuaded me from investing. The connection is non-standard and you need an expensive and flimsy modifier to connect it with normal Elinchrom modifiers. Since I would need a connector anyway, the smaller, lighter and less expensive Godox 360 units, which provide a similar power output seemed like a wiser investment.

The Ranger RX unit, although substantially heavier, provides 1100 WS of power and a substantially more robust design combined with standard Elinchrom connectors. This unit is just going out of production in favor of the newer ELB1200 unit. Prices on the used market for the Ranger RX are good and may get better with the release of the new units.

The ELB1200 unit is fantastic on paper, and probably in use, too. I haven't tried it.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).

ted ­ krazonowski
Joined Jun 2011
Devon UK
Nov 30, 2017 01:52 as a reply to F2Bthere's post |  #10071

Personally, I wouldn't entertain Godox as an option - though I know many are more than happy with them (it's a continuity & support issue for me
). There are indeed many things that makes the outgoing Ranger RX an option; robust, powerful, takes standard modifiers. However, I don't really feel I'll need that power, I'm OK with using converters and it does lack the full levels of integration with Skyport that the ELB's have. Anyway it's a decision I won't be making for sometime yet.

the real meexternal link

F2Bthere
760 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Nov 30, 2017 03:00 as a reply to ted krazonowski's post |  #10072

All valid points.

C&C always welcomed...

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Nov 30, 2017 07:48 as a reply to F2Bthere's post |  #10073

The Ranger RX can be lightened substantially by switching the lead acid battery with a lighter lithium battery. I switched earlier this year. There’s a thread on it here.

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Dec 09, 2017 15:15 |  #10074

fotopaul wrote in post #18471658 (external link)
Do you mean the D200 grip head mod ?

If so it's just to remove the original swivel mount and take a 10mm drill to make the hole wider (about 0.5mm) to get enough clearance for the D200 griphead shaft.

I'v done it on all my Indirect's including these two new Litemotiv versions.

Fotopaul, when you return in a couple days... what was that mod for?? Could you post a pic of this?? I’m just not catching on how it’s used.

fotopaul
396 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Dec 13, 2017 01:35 |  #10075

Angmo wrote in post #18514240 (external link)
Fotopaul, when you return in a couple days... what was that mod for?? Could you post a pic of this?? I’m just not catching on how it’s used.

My glorious return! :-)

Ill post a pic later today or tomorrow. :-)

Instagram (external link)
Blog (external link)

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Dec 13, 2017 08:53 |  #10076

fotopaul wrote in post #18516713 (external link)
My glorious return! :-)

Ill post a pic later today or tomorrow. :-)

Welcome back!’

...and great. Thanks. You’ve got an incredible Website. I refer to your work often.

maxblack
I feel like I'm in danger
1,962 posts
Joined Sep 2008
NYC Area
Dec 13, 2017 14:18 as a reply to fotopaul's post |  #10077

Yes, Welcome back! :lol:

F2Bthere
760 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Dec 13, 2017 21:09 |  #10078

Another image with the Ranger with the 150cm Deep Octa:

https://www.instagram.​com ...en-by=storyinpictures_com (external link)

C&C always welcomed...

fotopaul
396 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Post has been edited 4 days ago by fotopaul.
Dec 14, 2017 13:45 |  #10079

Angmo wrote in post #18507313 (external link)
The Ranger RX can be lightened substantially by switching the lead acid battery with a lighter lithium battery. I switched earlier this year. There’s a thread on it here.

The Ranger RX is a beast even with a lighter battery.. ;-)a
(image taken this week of a few of the trades in... in favour of the new ELB 1200)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Instagram (external link)
Blog (external link)

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been edited 4 days ago by Angmo.
Dec 14, 2017 13:55 |  #10080

fotopaul wrote in post #18517888 (external link)
The Ranger RX is a beast even with a lighter battery.. ;-)a
(image taken this week of a few of the trades in... in favour of the new ELB 1200)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by fotopaul in
./showthread.php?p=185​17888&i=i76099951
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

Ask Elinchrom to send me 3 or 4 with 6 S heads... since they don’t want em anymore!!! ;-)a

sponsored links

929,399 views & 89 likes for this thread
Elinchrom Users Only (Mark IV)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.