Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 27 Nov 2017 (Monday) 14:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Weatherproofing cameras for stormchasing?

Photo123abc
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Finland
Nov 27, 2017 14:54 |  #1

Hi, Im looking for solution to house my cameras (Canon 1D III and Sony a5000 for video) inside weather proof cases. Yes, I know 1D can handle rain, done that multiple times. But I dont feel comfortable to do that when it comes to stormchasing!

I would really like to get footage inside the storms, which means they will be exposed to very intense rain and +30km/h winds. Dicapac seems to be submergeable and affordable, but it looks kinda clumsy to use. Is there any other solutions that would be better? Normal raincovers wont work for sure.

If you have Dicapac please tell me if Im wrong about using the camera inside it? Ive never seen one in real life. :)

You are what you eat - I dont remember eating a photographer.

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by MalVeauX. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 27, 2017 15:09 |  #2

You probably need to just do simple custom jobs where the camera and stuff is housed in a box (like modifying a rugged plastic tote) and the box mounted to something that can lock down to the ground and anchor (anchored tripod).

Look at the custom methods put together for people who are photographing rocket launches from the launch pads. Those have to survive very high impact and have room to keep triggers, transceivers, intervalometers, etc, other stuff, to remotely control the camera through it all, or at least to automate it through it too. Also to house a battery instead of relying on the camera's internal (such as using a big lithium power pack with a dummy battery to get house of life).

Stuff like this: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=Ge1fMfTdAdY (external link)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,969 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Nov 27, 2017 15:20 |  #3

Thinktank hydrophobia?

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...wcB&is=REG&m=Y&sku=​847357 (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Photo123abc
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Finland
Nov 27, 2017 18:20 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #4

I dont think any kind of sleeve will work in this case because front of the lens has to be protected aswell (rain will come horizontally into it). No I wont be using tripods, I shoot handheld or just peek out of the car window if someone else is driving during the core punch (I dont mind getting wet :)).

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 27, 2017 18:49 |  #5

Oh, well that changes everything. You're just hand holding a camera in a storm and driving through it shooting through a window.

The Dicapac will keep it dry and protect it for sure. But it's really clumsy to use. Luckily you're not trying to track a bird in flight with a telephoto through a window. You're likely shooting wider angle lenses and you don't need AI servo and tracking since you're most likely stopped down for depth of field. So the Dicapac, while clumsy, would function for your needs.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,969 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Nov 29, 2017 14:01 |  #6

Photo123abc wrote in post #18505446 (external link)
I dont think any kind of sleeve will work in this case because front of the lens has to be protected aswell (rain will come horizontally into it). No I wont be using tripods, I shoot handheld or just peek out of the car window if someone else is driving during the core punch (I dont mind getting wet :)).

In conjunction with a weather sealed L lens and a screw on filter?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Photo123abc
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Finland
Nov 30, 2017 10:19 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #7

I honestly doubt that. Ive photographed sports in pouring rain and its nothing compared to rainfall experienced in stormchasing. Although this is in finnish you can see intensity of the rain during corepunch when we were chasing last summer. Pay attention to the road, you can see rain curtains as wind pushed them to move horizontally. I was caught in it right next to my car, after taking 3 steps to hop in I was soaked. :-)

https://youtu.be/Vi7ZO​mQoZCM?t=2m58s (external link)

sponsored links

310 views & 1 like for this thread
Weatherproofing cameras for stormchasing?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.