Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 27 Nov 2017 (Monday) 09:11
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Compositing individual portraits into group shots

a_roadbiker
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by a_roadbiker.
Nov 27, 2017 09:11 |  #1

Greetings!

One of my clients, a realtor with a team of about 15 people, hired me to photograph her team members individually against a white background so the team composite photo can be modified as the team changes (people coming and going). I photographed each team member in several positions to enable more flexibility in the group composite photo. Now that I have these photos I will be outlining the members and then assembling a group composite. Going forward, as new people are added I will photograph the new team member and add to the group shot, or remove members as they depart.

I am fully confident in my ability to do this, but I really have no idea what to charge for the compositing service, which I expect will take more time then the actual photography. I thought I would charge a fee for each person, so if I charge $50/person, for example, the compositing fee for 10 people would be $500 on top of the original photography. If any of you have done this before, or have any suggestions, I would be very open to your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Click here to see a list of My Stuff

Visit my flickrexternal link
Like me on Facebookexternal link
www.jmaurophoto.comexternal link

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Nov 27, 2017 22:11 |  #2

Hourly rate + direct costs + usage fee is always the easiest way to charge because if there are no extra costs or no need for a usage fee it just comes down to a simple time calculation. Whatever your hourly rate is charge that. If for some reason you think your time is more/less valuable while post processing then come up with a secondary hourly charge for use in the calculation.

If you charge a flat fee per person you get screwed when three of the women turn out to be the Gorgon sisters with huge flyaway hair that takes ages to cut out.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

a_roadbiker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
Atlanta, GA
Nov 30, 2017 14:59 as a reply to Dan Marchant's post |  #3

Good point! Thank you. Another photographer friend of mine gave me similar advise.

Jim

Click here to see a list of My Stuff

Visit my flickrexternal link
Like me on Facebookexternal link
www.jmaurophoto.comexternal link

384 views & 2 likes for this thread
Compositing individual portraits into group shots
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.