Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 29 Nov 2017 (Wednesday) 10:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Looking for Strobes for Product Photos

HelenOster
That's me!
4,350 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Dec 03, 2017 09:59 |  #46

jay125 wrote in post #18507895 (external link)
I would buy from Adorama. I made the purchase from Amazon, and there was an issue with the item I received. I contacted Adorama for an exchange and was told it had to be returned, and Amazon would credit me the cash back. Adorama could not exchange the item since it came from Amazon which is a Marketplace, not Adorama directly. I was confused, but there it is.

I'm so sorry, but it is an Amazon rule. Customers purchasing from retailers via Amazon can only make a return, get their refund, and re-purchase.
We dislike this policy as much as our customers but there is nothing we can do about it.

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOsterexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/external link

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Dec 03, 2017 16:44 |  #47

HelenOster wrote in post #18509484 (external link)
I'm so sorry, but it is an Amazon rule. Customers purchasing from retailers via Amazon can only make a return, get their refund, and re-purchase.
We dislike this policy as much as our customers but there is nothing we can do about it.

As inefficient as that seems, considering the relationship of Adorama to Amazon and then Amazon to the buyer its the only way for Amazon to ensure a clean relationship with suppliers and buyers.

Not sure why anyone would buy an Adorama available product from Amazon rather than Adorama. The complexity added my a transaction intermediary is difficult to justify.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Dec 03, 2017 16:50 |  #48

DJ JIGGLER wrote in post #18507661 (external link)
Only reason i prefer amazon is less work on POs for the company as we don't buy from adorama on the regular.

And the amazon listing is Ships from and sold by Adorama Camera.

So this: https://www.amazon.com​/gp/product/B01EMH2LFS (external link) is not the same as: https://www.adorama.co​m/fplfx600tbc.html (external link)

Or is the one from amazon not TTL? I dont think id use much TTL as im used to using speed lights in manual but its nice to have if you want it.

Going to do a little more research on soft boxes and stands, only have smaller stands and umbrellas now.

No interest in trying to change your company policy, but it seems to me the Amazon transaction experience for an light readily available illustrates why its prudent to go direct to seller rather than put a transactor that adds no value to the transaction.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

jay125
Nothing about me is regular.
Joined Dec 2010
Post has been edited 13 days ago by jay125.
Dec 03, 2017 16:58 |  #49

HelenOster wrote in post #18509484 (external link)

I was unaware of this. I really don't see any benefit to the relationship between Adorama and Amazon, given the circumstances. I won't use Amazon for Adorama purchases again. Thanks for your reply Helen. It's nice to have your input.

dmward wrote in post #18509792 (external link)
As inefficient as that seems, considering the relationship of Adorama to Amazon and then Amazon to the buyer its the only way for Amazon to ensure a clean relationship with suppliers and buyers.

Not sure why anyone would buy an Adorama available product from Amazon rather than Adorama. The complexity added my a transaction intermediary is difficult to justify.

I used Amazon as I had a few things I ordered on Amazon and thought it would be convenient. I was surprised when I learned how it works, but as I posted to Helen, I won't make that mistake again. Amazon doesn't hold the inventory, they just handle the transaction. Lived and learned.

feedback

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Post has been edited 13 days ago by dmward.
Dec 03, 2017 17:57 |  #50

jay125 wrote in post #18509807 (external link)
I was unaware of this. I really don't see any benefit to the relationship between Adorama and Amazon, given the circumstances. I won't use Amazon for Adorama purchases again. Thanks for your reply Helen. It's nice to have your input.

I used Amazon as I had a few things I ordered on Amazon and thought it would be convenient. I was surprised when I learned how it works, but as I posted to Helen, I won't make that mistake again. Amazon doesn't hold the inventory, they just handle the transaction. Lived and learned.

Helen can speak with authority, if authorized, but my suspicion is that Adorama is using Amazon as a pull through market place to reach people that are looking for photo equipment but not knowledgable.

Long before there was an Amazon, there were corporate buying guidelines that got in the way of efficiency. I'd tell stories but the statute of limitations may not have run out. :-)

I feel for your desire to get the equipment and get the job done.

Over the years I've done a lot of product shots of one kind or another. The Godox AC and battery powered strobes in the X system are a comprehensive a collection of lighting resources.

Kind of a product shot:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I did it with 3 Godox (Cheetah) V860II speedlites controlled in M mode with an X1Tf on a Fujifilm GFX 50s.
I used the 120mm Macro lens. It took F32 to get even close to enough DoF for the splash. One speedlite on each side with colored gel at 1/64th power. They are about 3 inches from edge of receptacle. Third light is on a Buff mini boom on the background.

I did some earlier shots with 360II lights. The extra power meant I could keep them farther away. Downside, for now, is that the filter packs I have for speedlites don't work with the bare bulb.

If I were doing this for a client. I'd be tempted to use the 600 at 1/256 power to get the extra stopping power and better working conditions.

I plan to use my CL200s with fresnel heads. They will take the filters I have without a problem.

I haven't had so complete and interoperable a lighting kit since I started using electronic flash.

It turned out that the glitter paper background lit behind the water splash didn't look the way I wanted it. So I shot most of the splash tries with white background. Then composited the background, shot at F16, into the image in Photoshop.

That, for me, is the biggest benefit of digital for product photography. Ability to get the elements of the image perfect then combine them in post product. Saves enormous amounts of setup time.

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Dec 04, 2017 00:53 |  #51

DJ JIGGLER wrote in post #18506628 (external link)
Safety gear like shoe wear, but would also like to be able to do some car photography with them. Dont really have a budget, but profoto's are out of the price range. Not really sure on power, thats why i was kind of thinking the Einsteins due to have pretty good color consistency across all power levels.

Godox/flashpoint all the way, it’s budget friendly gear that can produce amazing results when used correctly.

I would say stick with speedlights but if you want to do cars also the AD600 is the way to go.

Don’t get me wrong I like PCB and I have used them a bunch. I remember on the “old” forum years ago they were the gold standard but they did not keep up with the times.

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Dec 04, 2017 13:10 |  #52

One additional feature that is easily forgotten it the Mask mode.
This permits setting up the lights so that first shutter trip shots the subject with lighting scheme. Second shutter trip shots the background with subject silhouetted. This makes it a snap to create subject against transparent background for web catalogs etc.

The Higher end studio strobes also have a color mode similar to that in the Einstein and others.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 13 days ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Dec 04, 2017 15:13 |  #53

dmward wrote in post #18510384 (external link)
One additional feature that is easily forgotten it the Mask mode.
This permits setting up the lights so that first shutter trip shots the subject with lighting scheme. Second shutter trip shots the background with subject silhouetted. This makes it a snap to create subject against transparent background for web catalogs etc.

Which transmitter/receiver is required for this trick?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

DJ ­ JIGGLER
THREAD ­ STARTER
260 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Salem / Las Vegas
Dec 04, 2017 20:30 |  #54

What Soft boxes and Stands do you recommend?

Was looking at the Manfrotto 1005BAC for stands.

Canon 5D MKII Gripped, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS 50mm f/1.4, Extender EF 1.4X III, 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye 580EX II x2, 600EX-RT

RicoTudor
503 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Chicago, IL
Dec 04, 2017 20:49 |  #55

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18510519 (external link)

I use a PW MultiMAX in SpeedCycle Mode as on-camera transmitter and PW-capable Profoto packs to receive. Even subsecond frames are not close enough for live portraits, so it's merely a tabletop convenience. I often shoot the frames with Speedlights and disable units manually—no large budget required. I use this technique all the time, but would not characterize it as a snap. Fuzzy edges, reflective surfaces, translucence all require tuning the alpha channel carefully.

IMAGE: http://makino.fi/rico/nikon/misc/goldenbee.jpg

I shoot fabric, jewelry, glass, metal with synthetic backgrounds.

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,350 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Dec 05, 2017 06:09 |  #56

jay125 wrote in post #18509807 (external link)

It isn't just with us, of course; it's their rule for all merchants. It has something to do with the Amazon commitment to complete an order within X period. If an item were to be exchanged then the entire transaction would be protracted. Does that make sense the way I've written it?

Helen@adorama.com

HelenOster
That's me!
4,350 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Dec 05, 2017 06:13 |  #57

dmward wrote in post #18509842 (external link)
Helen can speak with authority, if authorized, but my suspicion is that Adorama is using Amazon as a pull through market place to reach people that are looking for photo equipment but not knowledgable.

SO many people prefer to use Amazon for SO many reasons.

i frequently get requests from customers to price match to Amazon, because:
a) they have an Amazon gift card
b) they get extra points on an Amazon credit card
c) because Amazon has multiple distribution centers - and they use their own carriers - they can transport goods for cheaper, within a shorter period

Helen@adorama.com

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Dec 05, 2017 08:03 |  #58

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18510519 (external link)

Its set via the light menu so any of the X system transmitters will work.

Look in the manual for the lights its explained there.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Dec 05, 2017 08:09 |  #59

HelenOster wrote in post #18510971 (external link)
SO many people prefer to use Amazon for SO many reasons.

i frequently get requests from customers to price match to Amazon, because:
a) they have an Amazon gift card
b) they get extra points on an Amazon credit card
c) because Amazon has multiple distribution centers - and they use their own carriers - they can transport goods for cheaper, within a shorter period

Helen, as you know the first two are Amazon marketing tactics intended to draw consumers to Amazon.
The third is only beneficial if Adorama uses Amazon's distributed warehousing system for the products it offers via Amazon. If it does, then it would behoove Adorama to use Amazon to fulfill orders made via its website as well.

One distinct disadvantage using Amazon is that they are now required to collect sales tax for just about every state.
Adorama and other single state brick and mortar resellers are still able to avoid collecting sales tax.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Dec 05, 2017 09:02 |  #60

dmward wrote in post #18511025 (external link)
Its set via the light menu so any of the X system transmitters will work.

Look in the manual for the lights its explained there.

I did some looking around this morning. I guess i was thinking it would be solely a function of the tx/rx and would work with my 360s, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Bummer.

RicoTudor wrote in post #18510756 (external link)
I use a PW MultiMAX in SpeedCycle Mode as on-camera transmitter and PW-capable Profoto packs to receive. Even subsecond frames are not close enough for live portraits, so it's merely a tabletop convenience. I often shoot the frames with Speedlights and disable units manually—no large budget required. I use this technique all the time, but would not characterize it as a snap. Fuzzy edges, reflective surfaces, translucence all require tuning the alpha channel carefully.
QUOTED IMAGE

I shoot fabric, jewelry, glass, metal with synthetic backgrounds.

I've been standing at the background with a camera remote and then covering the background with a black velour type fabric between first and second exposures.

From my searches this morning, the mask mode probably wouldn't work with the method you and I use to extract subjects. It fires groups sequentially.

Whereas we would need A and B (A=subject, B=background) fired for the first shot and A only for the second.

Do I remember correctly that you are using something other than photoshop?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

3,901 views & 50 likes for this thread
Looking for Strobes for Product Photos
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.