Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 12 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 18:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

You've got no gear at all - Would you get a 5DMKIV or D850

JessicaJones215
34 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Nov 06, 2017 18:06 |  #196

Canon 100%

sponsored links
mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been edited 23 days ago by mdvaden.
Nov 21, 2017 10:37 |  #197

MDJAK wrote in post #18487333 (external link)
I just sold all of my Canon gear, from my 1DxII to my L glass and flashes.

Why? First allow me to state the obvious. It’s not the gun, it’s the trigger puller.

There, now that I got that out of the way, I still like nice gear. And after lugging the above gear out west in August, up and down Zion, around Arches, in and out of Bryce, Moab and all manner of parks and trails in Boulder, the weight just got to me.

So I say, why narrow your choice to Canon and Nikon, both of which systems I’ve owned and really like?

I am seriously considering the Sony A9 or the soon to be out A7R3. Neither cheap, but Sony is just killing them all.

Actually, Sony is just CATCHING IT"S BREATH ... lol

After overheating batteries, dead video, cannibalizing other brands lenses ... Sony has just recently got it's equilibrium. Sony has some very nice stuff. But what you said is an exaggeration commonly propagated, especially in light of customer service and the entire package of what's available.

I'd gladly own a Sony, but have no need to change to a brand that just got on it's feet.

For what you shared about weight, I feel the same way. Recently removed my battery grips and am looking at lighter lenses. I recently bought a wonderful Canon M5 too.

Honestly, I think the M5 is good enough for an extra body for wedding stuff, but still rely on full frame.

RE the OP's question, if I had not used Canon, I would flip a coin. Having used Canon, I understand what I used. But from scratch, I would feel comfortable with either one.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Post has been edited 21 days ago by mystik610.
Nov 22, 2017 19:19 |  #198

The a7rIII is definitely worth throwing into the mix now that's been announced. It operationally can go toe-to-toe with both the 5D and D850, the sensor is great, and there are notable upsides (i.e. eye AF, no microfocus issues, IBIS etc.). Plus their Pro Services is proving to be top notch too.

One upside to the a7 bodies is that there isn't a need to have a secondary compact system for casual use.....mount a large lens to an a7 body and its still a big camera, but mount a smaller prime onto the body and you have a nice compact set-up too.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART - Sony 70-200GM

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Nov 26, 2017 13:34 |  #199

The a7riii and a9 give photographers far less reasons to consider Sony. Perhaps maximum durability and maximum write speeds are the only Achilles heel left to nit pick over in terms of what the bodies offer.

For those who want CP's-level service, that is coming.

The ability to get top-notch AF from A, EF, FL and FE glass is a pretty underrated plus for the A9 and a7riii. Feel like packing a bag with both an 85 1.2L and a 105 f1. 4, but only want to pack one body? You can do it, and do it stabilized!

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

elitejp
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Nov 26, 2017 17:57 |  #200

I think you mean "far more reason"

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been edited 10 days ago by mdvaden.
Dec 03, 2017 19:01 |  #201

elitejp wrote in post #18504689 (external link)
I think you mean "far more reason"

Although I'm hearing about more photographers ditching Sony and returning to Canon or Nikon, the "far more reason" you suggested seems more like what I'd expect to hear.

I can't think of far less reason to consider Sony.

The only thing that comes to mind, would be the most recent models not overcoming a few hurdles a few consumers were hopeful for.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

sponsored links

7,665 views & 112 likes for this thread
You've got no gear at all - Would you get a 5DMKIV or D850
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.