Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 03 Nov 2016 (Thursday) 15:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Struggling on a mirrorless camera.. Which one?

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been last edited 13 days ago by mdvaden. 5 edits done in total.
Nov 28, 2017 10:42 |  #226

elitejp wrote in post #18504927 (external link)
mdvaden
Im not quite sure what you are trying to prove or disprove. Without having handled most camera bodies or brands of cameras I would always assume that focus is never going to be completely accurate every single time, even manual focus on a tripod can miss focus if the subject just happens to move a little too much. But everything ive read from users of sony a7r2 and later generations all seem to indicate that missing focus has become increasingly uncommon.

It should be fairly clear after my couple of references to Gary Fong's video. I simply wish Fong, for example, had posted high res photo samples to go with the eye tracking thing he showed.

The few most recent posts here showing photo samples are more along those lines.

Charlie wrote in post #18504922 (external link)
I happen to have a short sequence with eye AF, not 50 F1.4, but 106 f6.3, which surprisingly has less DOF than 50mm f1.4 according to DOFmaster. 1/6 oof( or camera shake) with a walking baby.... I'de say that's a lot harder to nail than posed adults.

That's exactly what I was hoping more people would show, including Fong, at Youtube. In these examples, it looks like the Eye AF is in the proximity of AI Servo focus for centering and approximating the depth of field.

But thanks .. and yes ... this fine-tunes the conversation much more than a little highlighted box on a youtube video.

mystik610 wrote in post #18504902 (external link)
What he posted wasn't technically a video. It was a series of 24mp photos shot at 20fps with eye AF engaged.

Fong posted video of video along with photos reduced to like 10% size stuffed in video format. Much different from what Dustin Abbott provides, enlarging 100% crops for Full Screen viewing, and posting additional to website.

It's worth noting what Fong shared in the video about AI SERVO and the tip of the nose, vs. eye tracking. When I shoot, I like to have the nose and eyes in focus with room to spare front and back. So whether a camera detected the nose (face) or the eyes may work almost the same for my needs.

If Eye Detect is no worse, and doesn't raise the cost of a camera more than a fraction, then it may as well be included.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

sponsored links
elitejp
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Nov 28, 2017 13:23 |  #227

Then watch someone else besides fong, or find another source type beyond youtube that gives full resolution photos (if full res photos are even available yet )

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,809 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Nov 28, 2017 15:48 |  #228

mdvaden wrote in post #18505838 (external link)
It should be fairly clear after my couple of references to Gary Fong's video. I simply wish Fong, for example, had posted high res photo samples to go with the eye tracking thing he showed.

The few most recent posts here showing photo samples are more along those lines.

That's exactly what I was hoping more people would show, including Fong, at Youtube. In these examples, it looks like the Eye AF is in the proximity of AI Servo focus for centering and approximating the depth of field.

But thanks .. and yes ... this fine-tunes the conversation much more than a little highlighted box on a youtube video.

Fong posted video of video along with photos reduced to like 10% size stuffed in video format. Much different from what Dustin Abbott provides, enlarging 100% crops for Full Screen viewing, and posting additional to website.

It's worth noting what Fong shared in the video about AI SERVO and the tip of the nose, vs. eye tracking. When I shoot, I like to have the nose and eyes in focus with room to spare front and back. So whether a camera detected the nose (face) or the eyes may work almost the same for my needs.

If Eye Detect is no worse, and doesn't raise the cost of a camera more than a fraction, then it may as well be included.

there's only so much you can show on video, and most wont bother with a tracking set because it's somewhat time consuming and difficult to create without software. I just remember that C1, it's very easy to create, so I made one.

Eye AF is Revolutionary.

While it may not be everyone's cup of tea/flavor at this moment, it's use in practice is pretty mind boggling. Camera just read my mind moment, simply brilliant. Over time, I imagine the feature will be so popular, that eye focus (or lack of it) will be a major part of the decision process. It's like a smart phone, in it's infancy, it was very poor, over time, most wouldnt have it any other way.

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been edited 12 days ago by mdvaden.
Nov 29, 2017 22:50 |  #229

elitejp wrote in post #18505980 (external link)
Then watch someone else besides fong, or find another source type beyond youtube that gives full resolution photos (if full res photos are even available yet )

Usually do. Didn't find one yet. But when you find an example, feel free to share the link.

Charlie wrote in post #18506131 (external link)
there's only so much you can show on video, and most wont bother with a tracking set because it's somewhat time consuming and difficult to create without software.

I think that's why I enjoy Dustin Abbott's reviews so much. He get's into detail and posts enlargements that can at least fill my 21" monitor when the Full Screen is enabled.

Don't think he covered the tracking yet in that kind of detail. But his channel is one I keep an eye on.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Dec 02, 2017 19:56 |  #230

I've been shooting on the a7rIII for a couple days now and just wrapped up my first real shoot. Eye AF is a big improvement over the MKII, and behaves the way it does on the a9. Acquisition on the eye is really fast and is really sticky. This is the case with adapted glass too.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART - Sony 70-200GM

elitejp
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Dec 03, 2017 06:07 |  #231

Thats exactly what i wanted to know and is enough to pay the price for a r3

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

AngelofDepth
Joined Dec 2014
Dec 03, 2017 07:07 |  #232

Currently using the original 6D and can not wait to get this camera for the EYE AF. It's going to be a world of difference.

flickrexternal link

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Post has been last edited 8 days ago by mystik610. 3 edits done in total.
Dec 03, 2017 20:43 |  #233

Yeah wrapped up my second shoot on the A7rII and put the 24-70II to work. Eye focus works like a dream with the A7rIII and that lens. Eye focus is the only reason I have mostly native glass these days. It has been a big enough deal for me to go with a fully native kit when I had a fully fleshed out Canon kit, but if I were starting out now would have probably kept a lot of my old glass. I actually have a Canon mount Sigma 135 1.8 in the way...excited to use it on the a7riii

Eye af supposedly works well with nikon glass and Leica glass via the tap adapter too. Good times!

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART - Sony 70-200GM

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Dec 03, 2017 20:52 |  #234

365+ days later....

What did the OP do!?

:p

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale

gremlin75
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Detroit, MI
Dec 03, 2017 21:32 |  #235

MalVeauX wrote in post #18509945 (external link)
365+ days later....

What did the OP do!?

:p

Very best,

From the looks of their profile, forgot about this place (hasn't logged in for 10 months)

But hey at least the thread is still alive and well :-D

sponsored links

18,996 views & 126 likes for this thread
Struggling on a mirrorless camera.. Which one?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.