Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 25 Nov 2017 (Saturday) 16:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Metering to balance flash and ambient light

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been last edited 13 days ago by Angmo. 11 edits done in total.
Dec 04, 2017 16:24 |  #76

bobbyz wrote in post #18510553 (external link)
Man, no need to be so defensive. We all just trying to learn more. Right now I just can't believe that there is no loss from going to 1/200 to 1/8000. That is all. You can't show the proof, that is fine. Like I said I will spend the $100 to rent the newer Elinchroms, test them and post my results.

Lemme repeat. Perhaps the conversation is in parts. Refer to the Elinchrom site again.

There’s ZERO loss of light. Shutter speed alters the exposure but if I did a wall test and did all the boring stuff AND placed a flash meter (and not change anything on it) on the wall, The flash meter would not change its read-out as the strobe never changes. I can do the test shoot my camera from 1 second to 1/8000. The flash meter on the wall will not change at all.

Shutter speed will alter the exposure ON THE SENSOR — BUT the flash meter on the wall will read unchanged as the flash fires normally. Zero loss of light. Period.

The strobe does not alter itself in ANY WAY using HS.

As you go from 1 second to 1/8000 the exposure ON THE SENSOR will change. NOT because anything different happens with the flash tube. It fires normally. ZERO CHANGES. The window of exposure on sensor changes. Normally I might add.

HSS does alter the nature of the flash and also effects light output.

HS does not alter the flash in anyway. It fires natively.

It’s shutter speed, HS trigger timing that does this.

Does anyone misunderstand that?

I state facts. No defense. Just facts.

—-

Wall tests are just dumb IMO. I can easily underexpose a shot with ambient light and with a strobe. Does not make it right or wrong. Photographers should just go for proper exposures. I can never see gradients even at 1/8000 with what I do. I think Eli clearly states conservatively YMMV based on gear. I found a decent combo that works for me (my strobes not having to buy any new ones). I really like that Skyport HS trigger. I don’t need to waste dosh on Strobes. I’m good to go!! YMMV.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,284 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 13 days ago by Wilt.
Dec 04, 2017 19:09 as a reply to post 18510440 |  #77

I read the article, I looked at the graphs and animations, and that is what I described in my post 66!

HSS light output changes only when the shutter speed goes faster than X-sync, after that the flash output remains FIXED all the way to the top shutter speed...the shutter speed increases by -1EV account for additional -1EV incremental light decreases. So the difference between HS and HSS is that HS does not suffer from the initial drop (of -2EV to -3EV, depending upon flash brand/model tested) that happens when X-sync is exceeded. But as you incrementally alter shutter speed (above X-sync) -1EV then -2EV then -3EV, etc., the light striking the focal plane drops by -1EV then -2EV then -3EV, etc.respectively, for BOTH the HS flash illumination and for the HSS flash illumination.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been edited 13 days ago by Angmo.
Dec 04, 2017 19:47 |  #78

Wilt wrote in post #18510694 (external link)
I read the article, I looked at the graphs and animations, and that is what I described in my post 66!

HSS light output changes only when the shutter speed goes faster than X-sync, after that the flash output remains FIXED all the way to the top shutter speed...the shutter speed increases by -1EV account for additional -1EV incremental light decreases. So the difference between HS and HSS is that HS does not suffer from the initial drop (of -2EV to -3EV, depending upon flash brand/model tested) that happens when X-sync is exceeded. But as you incrementally alter shutter speed (above X-sync) -1EV then -2EV then -3EV, etc., the light striking the focal plane drops by -1EV then -2EV then -3EV, etc.respectively, for BOTH the HS flash illumination and for the HSS flash illumination.

Yep

Light stays the same. It’s the shutter influencing exposure on the sensor. And HSS drops at the source and then at the shutter if you will.

I looked back and saw I replied to your post
Back there. Oops. iPhones are crap to deal with.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

4,160 views & 11 likes for this thread
Metering to balance flash and ambient light
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.