Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 27 Nov 2017 (Monday) 19:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help sigma 105mm vs canon 100mm L. Clinical Oral Photography

Dalantech
Goldmember
4,438 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 30, 2017 04:09 as a reply to  @ post 18506683 |  #16

Pretty sure I mentioned shooting at a focal length that would get the whole mouth in the frame at a reduced mag. Trouble is having to stand 2 or 3 meters away to do it ;)

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

sponsored links
ANDFlow
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Nov 30, 2017 09:24 as a reply to  @ post 18506683 |  #17

ALL of you, THANKS for such an informative answer, I'm learning a lot by your discusiĆ³n.
Also, you need to know that sometimes we took a really macro picture, like this one...
So the sharpness is also appreciated. I need a lens who can give me a good DOF with full mouths and also a lens who can give me good details to take this picture. I'm adding new information to make the decision on which lens to choose (sorry guys)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,103 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Nov 30, 2017 16:48 as a reply to  @ ANDFlow's post |  #18

That photo is about 20mm fitting a 24mm frame width...about 1:1 (0.83X), or needing a true macro lens to accomplish.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ksbal
Goldmember
2,251 posts
Gallery: 256 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by ksbal.

Nov 30, 2017 17:29 |  #19

well.. seems like this would be a job for the 35mm macro - but it needs a crop instead of full frame.

EF-s 35mm macro with ring light (external link)

But I don't know what a dentist needs, but seems like this lens with ring light on a crop, with 4 inches dof at f8 at 1 foot distance would be the bomb, but I'm not a macro person.

80D + 35mm macro ring light - that is what I would look into or try out. JMHO YMMV

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om …Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1​VNTE0/view (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,103 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Nov 30, 2017 22:21 |  #20

ksbal wrote in post #18507753 (external link)
well.. seems like this would be a job for the 35mm macro - but it needs a crop instead of full frame.

EF-s 35mm macro with ring light (external link)

But I don't know what a dentist needs, but seems like this lens with ring light on a crop, with 4 inches dof at f8 at 1 foot distance would be the bomb, but I'm not a macro person.

80D + 35mm macro ring light - that is what I would look into or try out. JMHO YMMV

And shooting that image on a crop would mean that the same photo of the mouth is only 60% of the size (linear dimension) and with a fraction of the detail resolution that the lens is capable of providing. Since the crop sensor fails to capture the detail resolution that falls outside the 15x22.5mm frame (rather than 24x36mm frame width of FF)...APS-C as only 40% of the total detail that can be captured with the larger FF format which is delivered by the lens to the focal plane!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ANDFlow
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 4 months ago by ANDFlow. (3 edits in all)

Dec 01, 2017 20:53 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #21

But a 35mm Lens is very impractical if i need a good close up, because of my ring flash. I cant be really close to the patient, because im not game have enought space to fit the ring flash on a photo like the last one with the 35 mm lens . I think I would need a larger macro, maybe 85 or 100 mm on my FF camera, also for the crop one I think 35 is not enought

ksbal
Goldmember
2,251 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by ksbal.

Dec 04, 2017 12:02 as a reply to  @ ANDFlow's post |  #22

The 35mm I'm recommending has it's own built in ring light.. no need for a rig.
As the crop sensor is smaller, you do need to back up to get all the image in the frame. Now, with the detail in that shot above, I can see the need for a 100mm .. I'm not sure the 35mm on a crop could do that.. but that lens is CHEAP. it would be less than $400.

35mm ring light lens (external link)

if you still have your crop body, it may be worth checking out, and I bet it will work better in some situations than the 100L on a full frame.

But hey, do what is right, just making suggestions to think about.

ksbal
Goldmember
2,251 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 04, 2017 12:07 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #23

so... back up? and the increased dof may make the trade off worth it?

It would be interesting to compare the two side by side, has this been done? If resolution is all important, then why isn't a 5Ds the recommended body?

I'm not an expert in macro photography, my knowledge comes from reading those forums, and many prefer a crop body to a full frame.

YMMV.

Dalantech
Goldmember
4,438 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 04, 2017 12:16 |  #24

ksbal wrote in post #18510320 (external link)
The 35mm I'm recommending has it's own built in ring light.. no need for a rig.

It's more of a focusing aid -wouldn't be able to use it as the primary light source unless you had the camera on a tripod. The built in ring light does not act as a flash, and will not allow you to freeze motion. IMHO it's really just a gimmick (for the record I own a copy of the lens).

My Blog (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
2,251 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 04, 2017 16:00 as a reply to  @ Dalantech's post |  #25

well, that is a shame, thought it might solve some problems. Thanks.

Dalantech
Goldmember
4,438 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 05, 2017 01:45 as a reply to  @ ksbal's post |  #26

The working distance of the 35mm macro at 1x is about 2". So I think that Cannon added a ring light to it just so you could illuminate something at minimum focus. But the lights are so close to the plain of the lens that the light's gonna look flat unless you turn one of them off, and even then it's still gonna look odd.

My Blog (external link)

sponsored links

7,880 views & 1 like for this thread
Help sigma 105mm vs canon 100mm L. Clinical Oral Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.