Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 01 Dec 2017 (Friday) 15:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Focus noises

tim1970
Joined Dec 2010
Dec 01, 2017 15:35 |  #1

Will a shotgun mic help prevent focusing noises? I will be using an 80D, and STM and USM lenses.

I am not looking for anything close to professional, just home type movies, chasing grandkids, etc.

Gear

Flickr (external link) | Web Page (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Dec 01, 2017 15:55 |  #2

Heya,

Yes, it will reduce it a little. A shotgun has an area that it picks up ideally, and the other areas not so much. It's ideal for speech in an environment where you want to isolate it a little more to not capture someone else's speech or just noise in general near by. When you record, you record it at a higher gain so that you can drop it in post-processing and by dropping it in post, the ambient virtually goes away, and all that is left was the speech that was in the area the shotgun mic picked up mostly. I use this kind of microphone for kids and family stuff where you're recording someone talking, singing, etc and you want them isolated.

You don't want a shotgun mic if recording multiple people spread out, or a concert, or if you want ambient sound to be recorded naturally. Use an omni or stereo mic for that.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

AlFooteIII
Joined Jul 2013
New York City
Dec 05, 2017 21:40 |  #3

It will also depend on the pick-up pattern of the microphone. Some have more or less rejection of sound from the side and behind.

Specializing in Theatrical Photography. See my work at:
www.alfoote3photograph​y.com/external link
www.facebook.com/alfoo​te3photographyexternal link

758 views & 0 likes for this thread
Focus noises
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.