Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 03 Dec 2017 (Sunday) 18:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Kind of a product shot

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Post has been last edited 10 days ago by dmward. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 03, 2017 18:04 |  #1

I did it with 3 Godox (Cheetah) V860II speedlites controlled in M mode with an X1Tf on a Fujifilm GFX 50s.
I used the 120mm Macro lens. It took F32 to get even close to enough DoF for the splash. One speedlite on each side with colored gel at 1/64th power. They are about 3 inches from edge of receptacle. Third light is on a Buff mini boom on the background.

I did some earlier shots with 360II lights. The extra power meant I could keep them farther away. Downside, for now, is that the filter packs I have for speedlites don't work with the bare bulb.

If I were doing this for a client. I'd be tempted to use the 600 at 1/256 power to get the extra stopping power and better working conditions.

I plan to use my CL200s with fresnel heads. They will take the filters I have without a problem.

I haven't had so complete and interoperable a lighting kit since I started using electronic flash.

It turned out that the glitter paper background lit behind the water splash didn't look the way I wanted it. So I shot most of the splash tries with white background. Then composited the background, shot at F16, into the image in Photoshop.

That, for me, is the biggest benefit of digital for product photography. Ability to get the elements of the image perfect then combine them in post product. Saves enormous amounts of setup time.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from dmward's gallery.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
Plamen11
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Bulgaria
Dec 03, 2017 18:53 |  #2

Ad200 should be more powerful than ad600.I think so, but i'm not sure.Is this true?

ad200, 1/64 ( 1/10204s with fresnel head ) > ad600, 1/256 ( 1/10000s )

dmward
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Dec 04, 2017 08:12 |  #3

200, 100, 50, 25, 12.5, 6, 3 Ws at 1/64 for AD200

600, 300, 150, 75, 37.5, 19, 9, 4.5, 2.25 Ws at 1/256 for AD600.

Just a bit brighter. Thanks for checking the spec sheets.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

chaya
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2017
Lost Angeles, CA
Dec 04, 2017 10:11 |  #4

Looks amazing, David. Keep on sharing!

Visit me at Chaya Tenenbaum Photography (external link).

dmward
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Dec 05, 2017 19:21 |  #5

Here are two from today's session.
First one was shot using 3 speedlites. Each gelled.
There was a glitter paper background.
I added orange food coloring into the mixture that was being dropped.
After some Lightroom processing, including increasing saturation, I created a rendering using Topaz impressions.
Then used the layer opacity slider to get the balance I wanted.
Shot with GFX and 120mm

HOSTED PHOTO

This a a bit more complex. The splash image was shot with a white background that was bathed with a gelled speedlite to get a orange/magenta color. I also wanted it reflected back onto the water to look like sunset reflection.

I then took it into Photoshop along with the sunset picture. It was shot with the GFX and 32-64 one evening last summer while waiting for it to get dark enough to do a shoot for a realtor. Pays to have a second camera in the car. :-)

I used luminosity masking to create the basic mask for blending. Then tweaked it and finished with a curves adjustment layer for the sunset.
Final processing in Lightroom.

HOSTED PHOTO

conraderb
44 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Dec 06, 2017 10:16 |  #6

DMWard - nice stuff. I would personally like the middle shot to have more subtle colors.

I feel like the splash "facing away" looks better than toward the viewer.

Bokeh on the first shot is really effective - great immersive feeling. Very well done.

sponsored links

548 views & 7 likes for this thread
Kind of a product shot
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.