Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 20 Nov 2017 (Monday) 21:42
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Bridal Formal from last wedding

tim1970
Joined Dec 2010
Nov 20, 2017 21:42 |  #1

Bride wanted the formal session outside, and the weather was not the best. (Windy and cloudy) Opinions? Anything I could do better next time. I am also contemplating paying someone to replace the sky. Would that improve the photo?

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4583/37837886554_6e9d334f6e_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ZDB4​qo] (external link)Looney-201 (external link) by Tim Richardson (external link), on Flickr

Gear

Flickr (external link) | Web Page (external link)

sponsored links
Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Nov 20, 2017 21:50 |  #2

tim1970 wrote in post #18500826 (external link)
Bride wanted the formal session outside, and the weather was not the best. (Windy and cloudy) Opinions? Anything I could do better next time. I am also contemplating paying someone to replace the sky. Would that improve the photo?

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ZDB4​qo] (external link)Looney-201 (external link) by Tim Richardson (external link), on Flickr

I think a sky replacement would enhance the photo. While some clouds are good in the sky, a cloud blanket gives it a moody and dull look, something I don't think you were going for in this photo. Sky replacement is pretty basic photoshop, and maybe you should look up a tutorial and try it yourself. Would be good practice. If you're not happy with your efforts you could always pay a pro to do it after the fact. Just make sure the sky you replace it with is creative commons.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Nov 22, 2017 05:44 |  #3

I would darken the bottom of the pict with a gradient and lighten the top portion of the image.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
North Carolina
Post has been last edited 19 days ago by jcolman. 4 edits done in total.
Nov 22, 2017 09:28 |  #4

I agree with what the others have said. In addition, next time, move your light a bit farther off camera axis. This will help to created some depth to the image and bring out more detail in the dress. Also, have the bride lower her bouquet a bit. Adding a bit of back light will also help.

Here's a couple examples I shot in low light that might help to explain what I'm talking about

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/La1tCNA.jpg

This pic only used one light, no backlight.

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/J16tUzF.jpg

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.comexternal link

tim1970
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2010
Dec 05, 2017 14:16 |  #5

conraderb wrote in post #18511281 (external link)
Don't replace the sky.

Find a place where the clouds are bright against the dark sky.

Get an off camera flash. Crank it up to match ambient light.

Have it shooting sideways.

Shoot wide so that the bride becomes three dimensional.

Also, get closer or further away, and avoid centered compositions unless everything is perfect. Zoom in or out and go rule-of-thirds.

This was shot on her wedding day. Not much I could do about finding a place where the clouds are bright against the dark sky.

I did use off camera flash. (Isn't that obvious from the image)

I have no idea what you mean by "Have it shooting sideways"

conraderb wrote in post #18511281 (external link)
Also, get closer or further away, and avoid centered compositions unless everything is perfect. Zoom in or out and go rule-of-thirds.

which is it? Closer or further away?

Why would shooting any wider make her 3 dimensional???

Gear

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Dec 05, 2017 17:39 |  #6

I think you can make a great black and white conversion out of this. Rather than photoshop in a new sky, you might try instead to pull out a lot more detail from the sky you have to make it really quite dramatic. After that, I agree that a applying a gradient filter to lighten the sky would give a better balance.

I've played around a little with a low resolution copy of your photo ... just using Nik Collection, so no great technical challenge ... and come up with something that, for me, has a lot more (B&W) 'pop' than the original and really pulls the bride out from the background.

Tastes differ, of course, and you (or, more importantly, the bride) might not like a monochrome treatment. But I think it really works well.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

conraderb
44 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Dec 06, 2017 09:40 as a reply to tim1970's post |  #7

Sorry for not being clear.

Three dimensional-ity is a result of a more dramatic use of off camera flash, not composition :-)

See Jcolman's second posted image, with the bride by herself. Just my 0.02.

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Dec 06, 2017 09:48 as a reply to tim1970's post |  #8

I would not shoot off center for this. With the arbor in the photo, I would make sure to center the ARBOR. The bride, I may put her to the right against the arbor post with her dress flowing to the left. OR place the bride in the very center of the arbor like you have here. maybe experiment with a few different poses in the center. Speaking of centering, I would crop this photo to center the arbor better

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

George ­ Zip
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2015
Dec 06, 2017 14:31 |  #9

tim1970 wrote in post #18500826 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

Does she like it? Thats the main thing :)

Cloudy days are tough, no backlighting, everything is flat. Next time I would go for some off camera flash to give it some dimension. If you have the equipment, one behind her for some backlight, one to the side as main for the shadows, and dial down the background a bit. That's what I would do.

I personally wouldn't replace the sky. I think maybe an additional black and white edit would be good. With your permission, I would have a go at it if you posted an unedited jpg.

It looks a little over sharpened to me, the poles and flowers look kinda HDR. Just my opinion.

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Dec 06, 2017 14:43 |  #10

George Zip wrote in post #18512115 (external link)
Does she like it? Thats the main thing :)

Cloudy days are tough, no backlighting, everything is flat. Next time I would go for some off camera flash to give it some dimension. If you have the equipment, one behind her for some backlight, one to the side as main for the shadows, and dial down the background a bit. That's what I would do.

I personally wouldn't replace the sky. I think maybe an additional black and white edit would be good. With your permission, I would have a go at it if you posted an unedited jpg.

It looks a little over sharpened to me, the poles and flowers look kinda HDR. Just my opinion.

B&W definitely works very well for this image. I had a little go just using the low resolution image and liked what I saw. More time and/or a more talented editor would surely deliver more.

I'd be happy to post, given permission from the OP.

tim1970
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2010
Dec 06, 2017 15:43 as a reply to DaviSto's post |  #11

Yes, definitely post. I would love to see it.

Gear

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Dec 06, 2017 17:14 as a reply to tim1970's post |  #12

OK ... quick edits no. 1 and no. 2 coming up. I think they show the potential there is here but I'm not arguing that they fully exploit it. No. 1 is an edit in Nik Color Efex Pro 4., aimed at adding drama. No.2 just applies one of the Siver Efex Pro 2 standard presets. But nothing fancy in either case.

They are both full of artifacts attributable to editing a low resolution original. These should be ignored for present purposes.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

567 views & 7 likes for this thread
Bridal Formal from last wedding
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.