Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 26 Nov 2017 (Sunday) 11:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Help! Swimming in Duplicate image files

buddy4344
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
Allentown, PA
Nov 26, 2017 11:04 |  #1

I will start with the bottom line: I suspect I have several duplicate copies of images on my NAS device and want a great software to help me locate duplicates and remove them.

Over the last few years, I haven't been consistent at how I create back-ups for storage. Now, more than 10 years into digital, I have a mess on my hands. I shoot a lot and, early on, didn't delete enough, so I have right at 8 TB of RAW and Edits on my Synology NAS. Annually, I have just blindly copied the files onto an external drive and stored it at another location. In the early days, that was easy as files were smaller and I shot less. I still plan to regularly make a back-up to an external, but copying 8 TB takes forever and, of course, I'm wasting space.

On line there are a million software solutions offered, many free. I'm not sure I trust them. I'm okay with paying for the right software but which one? BTW, the many options I found on-line after just a 5 min search include:

• Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder

• Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro

• Duplicate Photo Cleaner

• Duplicate Photo Finder

• Duplicate Images Finder

• Duplicate Sweeper

• Duplicate File Finder

• Auslogics Duplicate

• Digital Volcano Duplicate Cleaner

• VisiPics

• Free Duplicate Photo Finder

• Anti-Twin

• Similar Image Search

Help! Please!

Buddy4344

Gear: Canon 1Dx MkII, 7D MkII, Canon Lenses: 100 macro, 100-400 Ver.IIL IS, 24-105L IS, Canon 17-40, Canon 1.4x TCon, Rokinon 14mm. Kenko extension tubes, Kenko 1.4x pro TCon.and Kiboko 30L and 22L+

sponsored links
ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,940 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Indianapolis
Nov 28, 2017 16:59 |  #2

I paid $5 for Duplicate Detective (Mac) and it worked well for me. I was able to clean up my hard drive in a few hours, but it was only 1.5TB, so it will surely take you longer.

Gear
Websiteexternal link

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Post has been edited 17 days ago by Archibald.
Nov 28, 2017 17:17 |  #3

I use dupeGuru and it seems to work well. Depending on the situation, you might also want to look at Beyond Compare, a trusted and versatile comparison program. The latter is not free but there is a free trial. Both are for Windows.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,506 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Nov 28, 2017 19:13 |  #4

I think you found what I use, Auslogics Duplicate File Finder, which is free and can be downloaded at https://www.auslogics.​com ...re/duplicate-file-finder/ (external link). You mention "Duplicate File Finder" and Auslogics "Duplicate" so it could just be a naming issue. Anyway, I find it works well and it goes beyond just file name, date and size and looks "within" at binary content. Something like that is pretty much necessary when you have three different cameras.

buddy4344
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
Allentown, PA
Post has been edited 15 days ago by buddy4344.
Nov 29, 2017 20:15 as a reply to ShotByTom's post |  #5

@ShotBytom Thanks, I will look into this and see if they have a pc version.

Buddy4344

Gear: Canon 1Dx MkII, 7D MkII, Canon Lenses: 100 macro, 100-400 Ver.IIL IS, 24-105L IS, Canon 17-40, Canon 1.4x TCon, Rokinon 14mm. Kenko extension tubes, Kenko 1.4x pro TCon.and Kiboko 30L and 22L+

buddy4344
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
Allentown, PA
Post has been edited 15 days ago by buddy4344.
Nov 29, 2017 20:16 as a reply to Archibald's post |  #6

@Archibald, Thanks for this input in my analysis of options.

Buddy4344

buddy4344
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
Allentown, PA
Nov 29, 2017 20:17 |  #7

John from PA wrote in post #18506287 (external link)
I think you found what I use, Auslogics Duplicate File Finder, which is free and can be downloaded at https://www.auslogics.​com ...re/duplicate-file-finder/ (external link). You mention "Duplicate File Finder" and Auslogics "Duplicate" so it could just be a naming issue. Anyway, I find it works well and it goes beyond just file name, date and size and looks "within" at binary content. Something like that is pretty much necessary when you have three different cameras.

Thanks for input. I like that it looks deeper.

Buddy4344

buddy4344
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
Allentown, PA
Dec 06, 2017 19:57 |  #8

End the end, I used Auslogics. I had no trouble using the software to illuminate duplicates on the main drives or on the external drive the plan is for back up. The software did not seem to want to see or read my in the NAS.

Buddy4344

sponsored links

257 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help! Swimming in Duplicate image files
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.