Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 29 Nov 2017 (Wednesday) 12:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Best mid-sized to large hiking camera backpack?

pbrimages
209 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Nov 29, 2017 18:46 as a reply to post 18506998 |  #16

I have used the Think Tank Streetwalker Harddrive Pro for almost a decade and love it. I changed the stock belt with their Speedbelt. It really helps support the load on your lower back, and also makes more room for carriers for anything from a water bottle to an additional holster, or...

It's an excellent system with plenty of room.

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

sponsored links
Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Nov 29, 2017 18:46 |  #17

John from PA wrote in post #18506998 (external link)
Bags compete manufacturer to manufacturer and hence are very similar. Like for desirable features, rear opening is one as you point out. Quality and reputation are another things to look for.

Personally, this "boxy" look you refer to is not objectionable, at least to my eye. The two bags appear to be very similar.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by John from PA in
./showthread.php?p=185​06998&i=i197750392
forum: Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

It's not that being wide and boxy looks bad, I just hate the weight displacement of a bag that sticks out farther. It feels like it's pulling you backwards. From the pictures your posted the bags to look similar, but I looked at both of them in videos and the Lowepro seems to sit flatter against the back than the Ruggard. Even from these product shots the LowePro looks less boxy, although their dimensions online are similar. Probably wouldn't be that big of a difference.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

cigargreg
Joined Jun 2009
Tampa, FL
Nov 29, 2017 19:22 |  #18

You can use the side water bottle and strap or the bottom strap. I think it's on sale now for 130.00.

HOSTED PHOTO
HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)
instagram (external link)
smugmug (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Nov 29, 2017 19:28 |  #19

cigargreg wrote in post #18507034 (external link)
You can use the side water bottle and strap or the bottom strap. I think it's on sale now for 130.00.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by cigargreg in
./showthread.php?p=185​07034&i=i206669660
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by cigargreg in
./showthread.php?p=185​07034&i=i43705985

Nice! I'm Liking it more and more.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Dec 04, 2017 18:45 |  #20

Well. Good news! Found the perfect backpack for me, that fits the exact form factor I've been looking for. The Think Tank Shape Shifter 15 V2! https://www.amazon.com ...age_o00_s00?ie=UTF8​&psc=1 (external link)

It saves a ton of height by using pouches to lay cameras and lenses flat instead of foam sections that the camera and lenses would stand up more in. Full disclosure, I did also order the Lowepro Pro Tactic 450AW for when I need a larger backpack, as the Think Tank wouldn't be able to fit quite as much gear.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Post has been last edited 5 days ago by Jarvis Creative Studios. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 06, 2017 22:23 |  #21

I got the Lowepro Pro Tactic 450AW in yesterday, and had the chance to take it on it's first job: an on location headshot session. It's truly an amazing bag. I feel like I can fit almost an infinite amount of gear in it. Yesterday I had my Sony a9, Sony a6500, 24-70GM, 70-200GM, 10-18mm, 35mm, 55mm, two Flashpoint Evolv AD200 lights with the bare bulbs, a Godox trigger, extra batteries and chargers, a rode video micro with muff and mount, a manfrotto table top tripod, and still had some room to spare. I like that it is unassuming. You wouldn't think that it was a camera bag unless you were familiar with Lowepro and saw the small logo on the back of the bag. The bag has a semi-hard shell though, which may make some people think it's a drone bag, but it's not large enough for that.

Today I got the Think Tank Shape Shifter 15 V2 in. There is not a lot of cutting edge when it comes to photography bags / backpacks, but this bag is cutting edge. It ticks every box from what I was looking for in my original post. The way that the gear is stored in this thing is genius! It uses neoprene sacks inside the backpack so your gear lays flatter than a traditional camera backpack. The sacks lay flush against the back of the bag, similar to a stocking hanging on a wall, instead of using foam compartments that the gear goes in. One might think this sacrifices space, but right now I have my a9, a6500, 70-200GM, 10-18mm, 35mm, 55mm, one Flashpoint Evolv AD200 with the flash head with barn doors, gels, and a grid, a Godox trigger, extra batteries and a charger, and a rode video micro with muff and mount. The bag is just about full, but that's a ton of gear for a smaller bag. Best part, it sits really nice on your back and makes it feel light. Right now sitting beside the Pro Tactic it's still much smaller. No one would ever know this was a camera backpack. Even if they knew the Think Tank brand, but didn't know the bag specifically, they may question if it wasn't just a normal backpack. I've not taken it on any jobs yet, but it will be accompanying my Think Tank Urban Approach 10 to NYC tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes!

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

460 views & 4 likes for this thread
Best mid-sized to large hiking camera backpack?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.