Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts
Thread started 26 Jun 2013 (Wednesday) 17:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Zomerfestival

hennie
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Spijkenisse, The Netherlands
Jun 26, 2013 17:07 |  #1

Recently was asked to shoot at my local music / art / theatre institute during two weeks in a row.

Some samples:

IMAGE: http://www.henniekleijwegt.nl/ZF2013/ZF2013A/ZF2013A-00416.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.henniekleijwegt.nl/ZF2013/ZF2013A/ZF2013A-00564.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.henniekleijwegt.nl/ZF2013/ZF2013A/ZF2013A-02252B.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.henniekleijwegt.nl/ZF2013/ZF2013H/ZF201H_00264.jpg

C&C Welcome.

sponsored links
ktan7
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Vancouver
Jun 27, 2013 10:49 |  #2

Great composition. But looks like you might have had an ISO issue for low lighting situations. What camera were you using?

Vancouver wedding photographyexternal link
Picture blogexternal link
Mexico wedding photographerexternal link

hennie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Jun 27, 2013 13:52 |  #3

A 7D.
Light was not very low, but hard to get proper exposure because only part of the scene was lit.
Tried to avoid ISO above 1250 wich sometimes lead to under-exposure, corrected in PP
Is the noise very bad?

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005
enschede, netherlands
Jun 28, 2013 07:30 |  #4

First shot is nice.
#2 is technically okay, but a lot of people behind other people.
#3: Nice moment, but blown out arm (and not well lit). Also cut off fingertips and blocked foot.
#4: Overexposed.

Looks like lighting was difficult.

#3 is the only one where I see a bit of noise.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Owain ­ Shaw
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Valencia, Spain.
Jun 28, 2013 07:37 |  #5

The noise isn't too bad ... about par for the course, performing arts are generally under low and/or difficult lighting conditions so noise goes with the territory ... I use the ISO I need to use, and the noise that comes with it.

Some CC, I hope you don't mind my saying but I'm not a fan of the coloured borders - I'd go with either black, white or grey if you want a border but the colours don't work for me.

#1 is nicely captured for your main subject, but the rest of the dancers look a little disorganised and in general it doesn't have the sense of a dramatic moment but a slightly disorganised one. That's not a technical fault with your photograph, but the moment is very important with dance photography.

In #2 you've managed to include everyone from the band but the image lacks a point of real interest, a moment or someone doing something to make the image more interesting ... it's a well exposed stage shot, but they're not really doing anything, unfortunately. Unsure of focussing on someone in specific more close-up would help if they're not that active (which may have been the show), I'm sure there are are better concert shooters here to help with what to do when you don't have a particularly dramatic set.

#3 unfortunately the foot is behind the monitor, which is a unfortunate - and fingers cropped very slightly as well which is unlucky as your framing would be nice otherwise - captured the moment well, unlucky with the monitor. Colour balance is quite magenta but I understand that a lot of the time people like to flood the stage with magenta.

#4 is kind of the opposite to #2 in that it's such a close-up we can't see what the character is, what he's doing or in what context. Not easy, but I try to get my theatre or dance photos to convey something of the narrative (if there is one) or feel (if there's not a narrative) of the piece ... easier said than done a lot of times, especially whilst shooting, trying to comprehend the piece and represent it.

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

hennie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Jun 28, 2013 14:32 |  #6

Thanx for your comments.

Owain Shaw wrote in post #16072335 (external link)
The noise isn't too bad ... about par for the course, performing arts are generally under low and/or difficult lighting conditions so noise goes with the territory ... I use the ISO I need to use, and the noise that comes with it.

You are right, I just find it very hard not to get blown-out highlights in theatre and when upping the ISO things get worse.

Some CC, I hope you don't mind my saying but I'm not a fan of the coloured borders - I'd go with either black, white or grey if you want a border but the colours don't work for me.

Just used the default auto-color of bordermaker, what you say makes sence.

#1 is nicely captured for your main subject, but the rest of the dancers look a little disorganised and in general it doesn't have the sense of a dramatic moment but a slightly disorganised one. That's not a technical fault with your photograph, but the moment is very important with dance photography.

Got your point. Also a matter of showing the right samples.
The one attached to this post better in your opinion?

In #2 you've managed to include everyone from the band but the image lacks a point of real interest, a moment or someone doing something to make the image more interesting ... it's a well exposed stage shot, but they're not really doing anything, unfortunately. Unsure of focussing on someone in specific more close-up would help if they're not that active (which may have been the show), I'm sure there are are better concert shooters here to help with what to do when you don't have a particularly dramatic set.

Also has to do with who is performing, for this group being there and playing as song was as good as it would get. Perhaps some good tips about framing or PP? Some of the close-ups were more attractive.

#3 unfortunately the foot is behind the monitor, which is a unfortunate - and fingers cropped very slightly as well which is unlucky as your framing would be nice otherwise - captured the moment well, unlucky with the monitor. Colour balance is quite magenta but I understand that a lot of the time people like to flood the stage with magenta.

Absolutely right, frame was not cropped but the foot and fingers just would not fit in. The monitor was a PITA, needed for some musicians. I (and the person on it) despite like the picture as it captured the moment.

#4 is kind of the opposite to #2 in that it's such a close-up we can't see what the character is, what he's doing or in what context. Not easy, but I try to get my theatre or dance photos to convey something of the narrative (if there is one) or feel (if there's not a narrative) of the piece ... easier said than done a lot of times, especially whilst shooting, trying to comprehend the piece and represent it.

This picture was from a series of 200, picked this one to show the helmet, another showing you more:

IMAGE: http://www.henniekleijwegt.nl/ZF2013/ZF2013H/ZF201H_00201X.jpg

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Owain ­ Shaw
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Valencia, Spain.
Jul 02, 2013 04:39 |  #7

Sorry, slow reply as I went to a friend's wedding in Portugal, not been online since Friday apart from 10 minutes of stolen WiFi in a bus station.

hennie wrote in post #16073522external link
You are right, I just find it very hard not to get blown-out highlights in theatre and when upping the ISO things get worse.

It is difficult. I usually find myself "under" exposing according to the camera meter to keep the highlights. The shadows are usually less important, what you want is the performer, usually the highlights. Even under-exposing a stop or two doesn't always keep all the highlights, but it keeps them recoverable. Also keeps the ISO down.

Got your point. Also a matter of showing the right samples.
The one attached to this post better in your opinion?

It definitely shows more of what's happening. Having them both is good, you get a close-up on the character as well as an overall look at the piece. In a varied set for the whole medley of performances, showing two isn't easy but yes, what you choose to show people can make a big difference to how they perceive it - right through the photographic process this is true, the way we compose a photograph can tell a totally different story to the one which happened, simply by the process of inclusion and omission. (Sorry, that's an aside, it's more to do with documentary photography, but I find photography interesting to talk about!)

Also has to do with who is performing, for this group being there and playing as song was as good as it would get. Perhaps some good tips about framing or PP? Some of the close-ups were more attractive.

Definitely. I think we've all shot things where you just have to do your best. I'm not a big concert shooter, so some of the guys here can help you more with what to do with music groups that aren't being too helpful on the spectacle front.

I guess you can try singling out one or two performers and try to pick out moments of interaction between them. Not easy if they're not interacting but sometimes just having two of them focussed on their music tells a story. Using the lighting creatively can also help.

Absolutely right, frame was not cropped but the foot and fingers just would not fit in. The monitor was a PITA, needed for some musicians. I (and the person on it) despite like the picture as it captured the moment.

Tight framing of dancers is always tricky. I have an endless number of photos just missing a fragment of hand or foot. It's still a good capture and you have 95% of the hand so it's not a major thing, I'd still use something like that, when it's chopped at the wrist I curse myself a bit but fingers and toes I allow if the shot is otherwise good.

Stuff getting in the way is another PITA that comes with Performing Arts shooting.

The other dance photo you've posted is really good, nice moment well captured.

hennie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Jul 02, 2013 10:29 |  #8

Thnx Owain.
Your comments and samples on your website (a very nice one indeed) are very helpfull.

Owain ­ Shaw
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Valencia, Spain.
Jul 03, 2013 09:40 |  #9

Glad to hear it, always nice to be helpful ...

BJWOK
Cream of the Crop
5,409 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Dec 06, 2017 20:59 |  #10

Looks like dead links. Any chance of a re-up?

My name is Benon (BJWOK are my initials) :)
www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM CC & LIGHTROOM CC CLASSIC PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Benon Koebsch - Photographer (external link) (Facebook)
Gives A Minute (external link) (YouTube channel)

hennie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Post has been edited 10 days ago by hennie.
Dec 07, 2017 01:46 as a reply to BJWOK's post |  #11

I will look into it.
Will repost, need to resize pictures
Complete gallery is online on http://fotografie.henn​iekleijwegt.nl/CVDKS/2​013ZomerFestival/ (external link)

sponsored links

879 views & 0 likes for this thread
Zomerfestival
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.