Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 07 Dec 2017 (Thursday) 05:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Question about Computer hard drive backing up

Amarinelli
Joined Apr 2009
United States
Dec 07, 2017 05:34 |  #1

Ok I have to admit I am completely confused I have my computer backing up to two external hard drives one set sync the other is set to back up at 1 am daily I had almost no room left on my computer hard drive so I manually transferred a lot to the back up drive and it freed up several hundred GB's of room this morning My computer internal hard drive was back down to almost nothing How is this possible?Is it somehow backing up one of the external hard drives? Would anyone know how I can stop this from happening Thank you

www.Marinelliphotograp​hy.com (external link) www.facebook.com/marin​elliphotography (external link)
Canon 5D Mark IV x2|Canon5D Mark III x 2|Canon 7D| Canon 6D|||L| Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS MK II | Tamron 24-70 vc|Canon 24 -105 L| |Canon 70-200f/4 is L| Sigma 35 mm art| Kenko 1.4 Extender| 600 EX-RT x2|

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,500 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Dec 07, 2017 07:27 |  #2

Amarinelli wrote in post #18512477 (external link)
Ok I have to admit I am completely confused I have my computer backing up to two external hard drives one set sync

Double check your sync settings.

Amarinelli
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2009
United States
Dec 07, 2017 17:28 |  #3

John from PA wrote in post #18512516 (external link)
Double check your sync settings.

Thank you

www.Marinelliphotograp​hy.com (external link) www.facebook.com/marin​elliphotography (external link)
Canon 5D Mark IV x2|Canon5D Mark III x 2|Canon 7D| Canon 6D|||L| Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS MK II | Tamron 24-70 vc|Canon 24 -105 L| |Canon 70-200f/4 is L| Sigma 35 mm art| Kenko 1.4 Extender| 600 EX-RT x2|

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,261 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Dec 07, 2017 22:01 |  #4

Amarinelli wrote in post #18512477 (external link)
I had almost no room left on my computer hard drive so I manually transferred a lot to the back up drive and it freed up several hundred GB's of room this morning My computer internal hard drive was back down to almost nothing How is this possible?Is it somehow backing up one of the external hard drives? Would anyone know how I can stop this from happening Thank you

Did you delete files (duplicated to your backup drive) from your primary harddrive in your PC?
If you deleted them, so ' it freed up several hundred GB's of room', did you remember to Empty the Recycle Bin (if a Windows PC) or to do what is the equivalent action on a Mac?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tim
Light Bringer
50,866 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
17 hours ago |  #5

You have a copy rather than a backup. Here's how I know: if your house burns down you lose all those disks.

Suggest you have an offsite backup.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

174 views & 2 likes for this thread
Question about Computer hard drive backing up
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.