Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch
Thread started 28 Nov 2017 (Tuesday) 18:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Looks like UPS starting to suck around this time now...

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,733 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 04, 2017 06:59 |  #31

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18510141 (external link)
Not really. With these economy options USPS only gets the package for the final delivery. It stays in the FedEx/UPS chain right until the end, but instead of sending the delivery truck to your house it goes to your local Post Office and then USPS delivers it the next day.

With UPS packages seem to follow the exact same ground shipping route they normally would, and it just adds one day because of the hand off to USPS. FedEx on the other hand uses a completely different route for these and as far as I can tell they intentionally slow down these shipments so that they never get to you early even when it seems like that should have been possible. It drives me nuts. I'm in NY and FedEx sends these shipments through PA, then to CT, then to MA, and then finally to my local Post Office. Sometimes items look like they are going to come early, but then they will sit on them in MA for up to 3 days so that they don't come until their estimated delivery date. I absolutely loathe FedEx.

That is kind of funny. FEDEX handles almost ALL USPS mail that flies. All Express, a goodly percentage of Priority Mail, and some First Class mail is moved on FEDEX aircraft. USPS doesn't own any (mail transporting) aircraft.

Tom

sponsored links
ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Dec 04, 2017 07:21 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #32

Yes I'm aware of that. And almost every time USPS gets blamed for an issue with a Priority Mail shipment it's actually FedEx who is at fault. It's FedEx ground services, especially the economy option that uses USPS for final delivery that cause my dislike for FedEx, the fact that Priority Mail flies on their planes is irrelevant. Although, one might ask why Priority Mail is often cheaper than even FedEx Ground when it's flying on FedEx planes side by side with packages using FedEx air services (which they charge a small fortune for).

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,790 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Dec 04, 2017 09:49 |  #33

Remember when you had to drive to a local store to buy things? :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,075 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Dec 04, 2017 12:19 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #34

Kind of.... :) You have to see this...hehehe....

Is too sunny today in Brooklyn, so, the package won't get delivered....duh......​For crying out loud, I have already requested for Hold. What is the dam problem here??? Hehehe...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,075 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Dec 04, 2017 12:52 |  #35

LOLOLOLOL.......http://downdetector.co​m ...ws/179301-problems-at-ups (external link)

Wow, 6 out for delivery updates on the same package......hehehhe:-P:-P:-P

Facebookexternal link

bogeypro
290 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Western NY
Dec 05, 2017 08:23 |  #36

Bought some things off Amazon last week and, with Amazon Prime, I expected delivery 11/30. I was surprised they shipped USPS because the package was 40+ lbs. Box was recv'd 3:23am and out for delivery at 10:27am. At 3:05pm it was marked as "available for pick-up" at the Post Office .... over 15 miles away.

Problem is no one came to the house at or around 3:05pm, postal carrier did not do my street until 4:20 and there was no "we attempted delivery" slip in my mail box so I didn't have any documentation to take to the USPS office.

I rescheduled delivery for the next day & it was there right on time as expected but what happened the previous day? How could the status be "come pick it up at our house" when USPS hadn't been to my house yet?

Weird .....

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 5 days ago by MalVeauX.
Dec 05, 2017 08:50 |  #37

I've yet to see any courier for mail not have issues during the ridiculous buying frenzy in the USA in the fall. Millions of orders. The logistics is crazy.

USPS seems to do well for me this time of year when I ship packages via Priority 1~3 day.

UPS & FedEx become hit and miss this time of year, but they're all sharing. FedEx is horrible in my area in general. UPS generally is top notch for me in my area. But this time of year, it's all clogged up, so no one is excelling. But, again, in the context of things, it's amazing we get anything delivered. I remember back in the day when I would order something online, pay stupid high shipping costs ($30~40+ for ground shipping!) when buying off the internet in the 90's and waiting a week for it.

This past week, we had a semi wreck on I75 and they caught fire. That same day I get emails saying my packages of X, Y & Z will not be delivered today and that they are not going to be able to deliver at all, so they instantly refunded my account and suggested if I want those items to re-order them. Turns out the semis were mail couriers.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,790 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Dec 05, 2017 12:40 |  #38

I think we just need to suck it up and be prepared rather than expect it to get better.
It's like snowfall, it's going to happen and it's best to be prepared.
With the change in buying trends I can not imagine how they can ever be anything but one step behind.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,075 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Dec 05, 2017 18:06 |  #39

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18511257 (external link)
I think we just need to suck it up and be prepared rather than expect it to get better.
With the change in buying trends I can not imagine how they can ever be anything but one step behind.

You can't prepared for.....confusing delivery schedules and logistic issues. I have one for you. This morning I was expecting to pickup 2 packages. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pick them up this morning or much of the day. Since I have another order from BH coming in tomorrow...it was shipped out today, I decided to wait for tomorrow to pick up 3 packages altogether. I thought I was smart??? Until.....one of the packages for the today's pickup....is in NJ right now. It was in NJ this morning 10am. It was in Brooklyn last night and I even received an email about picking up today. So, if I have went to pick them up today, I would have only received one package and a whole a lot of frustration.... Apparently, this package was scanned in NJ at 10am.

I need some luck tomorrow and hoping I would pickup all 3 packages..........hehe​hehe.. Then, I have one more coming in on Friday from UPS but being delivered and transferred from USPS. I should be good with that......Please, please....let me pickup 3 packages tomorrow....

Facebookexternal link

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Dec 06, 2017 08:40 |  #40

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18511257 (external link)

There is no sucking it up. They should be able to deliver to the correct address. If they can not deliver overnight or in two days, they should change their terms of service.

I guess being a weather forecaster or in the delivery service, you just need to be close and not expected to meet expectations.

With that said I agree, you have to be prepared for them to SUCK.....

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Jotto123
80 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Dec 06, 2017 09:50 |  #41

I've caught them driving by my house twice without even stopping then updating the status as "attempted delivery".

6d - 135L - 85mm 1.8 - 50mm 1.8 - 24mm 2.8

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,075 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Dec 06, 2017 10:54 |  #42

OK. The package was supposedly in NJ, well.....it didn't get scanned this morning or whatever. I went there to pick them up and of course, there were like 20 people waiting in line too...LOL... Good news is that I finally picked up 2 of the packages. The one from BH is probably sitting in the warehouse but hasn't been processed yet. So, I have to pay them another visit maybe tomorrow or Friday....

Facebookexternal link

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,075 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Dec 07, 2017 13:48 |  #43

My UPS nightmares are finally over.....either received or picked up all of my packages. Too bad the BH one day delivery is always 2 days late. USPS so far is on time....no weird tracking status.

Facebookexternal link

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,075 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Dec 07, 2017 16:04 |  #44

Sigh......sigh........​.....I finally got my $90 Formatt Hitech CPL filter from one of the UPS packages I picked up. Unfortunately, I have to visit BH tomorrow to exchange for another one. There are "issues" with this filter..........

Facebookexternal link

mcoren
Joined Mar 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
Dec 09, 2017 07:23 |  #45

Here’s a USPS story that’s had me scratching my head. This just happened a couple of weeks ago, at the beginning of November (before the start of the holiday season).

I ordered something from Amazon and they sent me a USPS tracking number. The next day--a day early--I got a notification from the Amazon app that it had been delivered, left at the front door. I was home at the time so I went to the door, no more than ten minutes after the notification appeared, but there was nothing there. I checked where they sometimes leave packages at the top of the driveway. Nothing. I checked my mailbox. Nothing.

Just to be sure, I looked at the USPS online tracking information, and it too said it had been delivered. Then I noticed it said it was delivered in Westminster, Maryland. I live in Northern Virginia, and all of my mail is sorted through Dulles VA, which is only five or six miles from my home, and at least 60-70 miles from Westminster MD. So right away I was suspicious. Had Amazon sent me the wrong tracking number?

I called Amazon and the representative I spoke with confirmed the shipping address and tracking information for the order. When I pointed out the part about Westminster MD and explained that my mail wouldn’t be sorted there, she put me on hold while she called USPS. When she brought me back on, the representative from USPS said that she could confirm that the package with that tracking number was in fact addressed to a location in Westminster MD, where it had been delivered. They must keep images for security or verification purposes. She couldn’t tell me what that address was, for obvious reasons.

So we concluded that Amazon must have somehow sent me the wrong tracking number. The Amazon representative advised me to wait another couple of days and call back if it still hadn’t arrived.

The next day, the package was delivered to my front door. I looked at the tracking number on the package itself, and it was the exact same number I had been given by Amazon! I entered it very carefully again in the USPS web site, and it still reported that it had been delivered the day before in Westminster MD.

So in the end, I got the package on the expected delivery date, so all went well there. But I’m still totally baffled as to why the USPS tracking shows Westminster MD, and why the USPS representative said it was in fact addressed there. All I can think is that, somehow, somebody’s system, either Amazon or USPS, issued the same tracking number twice. But I’m not even sure I buy that, because I would expect the tracking information to show lots of conflicting events between Westminster MD and Dulles VA every time either package was scanned along the way.

Very strange.

Mike

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

sponsored links

1,496 views & 13 likes for this thread
Looks like UPS starting to suck around this time now...
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.