Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 07 Dec 2017 (Thursday) 17:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Cameras(gear)in car during extreme temps-

ardeekay
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2010
Peoria, Il. and Port Aransas, Tx
Dec 07, 2017 17:01 |  #1

I'm sure this has been discussed before but couldn't find anything. Now that winter is here in my neck of the woods, my concern elevates. I like to carry camera #3, the 40D in the car in case an unexpected opportunity arises.
With lows now reaching down into the teens with lower still to come, what am I risking here? I am aware of the cold vs. battery issues, but other than that? And then summer rolls around and we have the other temp. extremes. (Plus I now drive an all-black car!) Smart!!:lol:
Just a bit concerned here. Thank you.

Rog
Gear:7Dll 7D 40D 24-105 4L, 70-200 4L, 300 4L IS, 85 1.8, 1.4 TC, Tamron18-270VC, Sigma 150-600 OS 430EX II

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Dec 07, 2017 17:58 |  #2

ardeekay wrote in post #18512899 (external link)
I'm sure this has been discussed before but couldn't find anything. Now that winter is here in my neck of the woods, my concern elevates. I like to carry camera #3, the 40D in the car in case an unexpected opportunity arises.
With lows now reaching down into the teens with lower still to come, what am I risking here? I am aware of the cold vs. battery issues, but other than that? And then summer rolls around and we have the other temp. extremes. (Plus I now drive an all-black car!) Smart!!:lol:
Just a bit concerned here. Thank you.

I worry about it here in the summer. I would really like to have a camera in the car at all times other than my phone but the heat and humidity are brutal here in the summer, so I leave them at home when I'm at work. They would have to sit in the heat for 10+ hours. I don't know what the outcome would be but I'm not willing to experiment at this point.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

ardeekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2010
Peoria, Il. and Port Aransas, Tx
Dec 07, 2017 18:30 as a reply to Phoenixkh's post |  #3

Thanks for looking in-so you have concerns, too. Hope someone will verify or alleviate them.

Rog
Gear:7Dll 7D 40D 24-105 4L, 70-200 4L, 300 4L IS, 85 1.8, 1.4 TC, Tamron18-270VC, Sigma 150-600 OS 430EX II

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Dec 07, 2017 20:12 |  #4

The cold is not necessarily an issue other than the battery, but if you take a cold camera and especially lens then go into a warmer temp you will have issues with condensation which can settle inside a lens and cause blurry images and could even get to your cameras electronics.

If you store your gear in the cold make sure to put it in an airtight bag with some dessicant packs when you bring it into the warmth and leave it sealed until it reaches room temperature.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Dec 07, 2017 20:23 |  #5

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18512925 (external link)
I worry about it here in the summer. I would really like to have a camera in the car at all times other than my phone but the heat and humidity are brutal here in the summer, so I leave them at home when I'm at work. They would have to sit in the heat for 10+ hours. I don't know what the outcome would be but I'm not willing to experiment at this point.

ardeekay wrote in post #18512944 (external link)
Thanks for looking in-so you have concerns, too. Hope someone will verify or alleviate them.

I live in an area that has single-digit temps in the winter and over 100 degree days in the summer. . I usually leave my cameras and lenses in my car 24/7. . Never had any problems with them - ever.

Camera gear is really tough, both inside and out, and doesn't have to be pampered or cared for carefully at all. . It just lasts and last and performs perfectly no matter how much you expose it to or how much you neglect it. . It just continues to work.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Dec 07, 2017 20:33 |  #6

I hope you guys talking 100 deg are talking in deg F and not C.

There is a risk that your cold camera will become wet with condensation when you bring it inside where it is warmer. However, condensation happens because of humidity, not warmth. I never have a problem bringing a cold camera into the house (it's easy to tell if the surface gets moist). It's because home interiors are often quite dry in the winter. But in case your house is not like that, just keep an eye out for condensation, and use a plastic bag if the gear gets wet.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Post has been edited 4 days ago by Phoenixkh.
Dec 07, 2017 23:06 |  #7

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18513018 (external link)
I live in an area that has single-digit temps in the winter and over 100 degree days in the summer. . I usually leave my cameras and lenses in my car 24/7. . Never had any problems with them - ever.

Camera gear is really tough, both inside and out, and doesn't have to be pampered or cared for carefully at all. . It just lasts and last and performs perfectly no matter how much you expose it to or how much you neglect it. . It just continues to work.

Tom,

So you've never had a problem with the humidity allowing fungus to grow in your lenses? Out West, I wouldn't give it a second thought.... it's a little different here in Florida... day after day... or at least, that is my concern.

I grew up in Montana and Wyoming. I don't know for certain but I'd guess the relative humidity is around 15% most of the time. As you drive East, you can feel the humidity building. In PA, July and August often has days of 95/95, i.e., 95 degrees F and 95% relative humidity. Same here in Florida, depending where you live.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Dec 08, 2017 02:30 |  #8

from the Canon Japan website: http://web.canon.jp ...os40d/specification​s.html (external link)

40D working temperature range - 0°C - 40°C / 32°F - 104°F
working humidity - 85% or less

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Dec 08, 2017 16:51 |  #9

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18513083 (external link)
Tom,

So you've never had a problem with the humidity allowing fungus to grow in your lenses? Out West, I wouldn't give it a second thought.... it's a little different here in Florida... day after day... or at least, that is my concern.

I grew up in Montana and Wyoming. I don't know for certain but I'd guess the relative humidity is around 15% most of the time. As you drive East, you can feel the humidity building. In PA, July and August often has days of 95/95, i.e., 95 degrees F and 95% relative humidity. Same here in Florida, depending where you live.

I spent the first 38 years of my life in southeastern Pennsylvania's humidity. . I still spend time in PA visiting family and friends, and I shoot while there. . When there, I still keep the photography gear in my car. . The climate in the car wasn't any different than the climate in my home in the summertime. . Some lucky souls had air conditioning, but not me. . So no difference between the humidity in a car or the humidity in my home. . So then why not keep it in the car? I never had any fungus problems, nor any other problems, with my gear.. Ever.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,268 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 3 days ago by Wilt. 4 edits done in total.
Dec 08, 2017 17:26 |  #10

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18513674 (external link)
The climate in the car wasn't any different than the climate in my home in the summertime.

You are fooling yourself, Tom! Even in the 'moderate' SF Bay area, when it can get into mid 90°F in the summer, interior temperatures are warned to reach in excess of 120°F very quickly, which is why they warn not to leave pets and children in the car -- even with windows not fully shut -- while you go into a store for 'just a few minutes'!

heatkills.org publishes,

"At 70 degrees on a sunny day, after a half hour, the temperature inside a car is 104 degrees. After an hour, it can reach 113 degrees.” “When temperatures outside range from 80 degrees to 100 degrees, the temperature inside a car parked in direct sunlight can quickly climb to between 130 to 172.”

https://www.avma.org ...ture-v.-Elapsed-Time.aspx (external link)

On an Accuweather web page

"It turns out that a car can turn deadly for pets on a winter day -- with an outside temperature of only 60 degrees! This article says "Even if it is a comfortable 60 degrees outside, a closed-car interior can reach 100 degrees on a sunny day." Another says "Even on a mild day at 73 degrees outside, an SUV can heat up to 100 degrees in ten minutes and to 120 degrees in just 30 minutes. At 90 degrees outside, the interior of a vehicle can heat up to 160 degrees within several minutes." Testing this out is not rocket science, in the video below we placed a thermometer inside a car and saw it spike to over 130; I have personally witnessed 155 degrees on a thermometer inside a car."

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Dec 08, 2017 18:08 |  #11

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18513674 (external link)
I spent the first 38 years of my life in southeastern Pennsylvania's humidity. . I still spend time in PA visiting family and friends, and I shoot while there. . When there, I still keep the photography gear in my car. . The climate in the car wasn't any different than the climate in my home in the summertime. . Some lucky souls had air conditioning, but not me. . So no difference between the humidity in a car or the humidity in my home. . So then why not keep it in the car? I never had any fungus problems, nor any other problems, with my gear.. Ever.

Tom,

Thank you for responding. I should be a bit less cautious, I'm sure.

I've heard horror stories of nice lenses full of fungus, but it's probably rare.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Dec 08, 2017 18:43 |  #12

Wilt wrote in post #18513694 (external link)
You are fooling yourself, Tom!

No I am not, Wilt.

There is no difference between 120 degrees and 90 degrees, with respect to it's effect on camera gear. . Neither temperature will lead to any problem whatsoever with the gear.

Neither is there any difference between -12 degrees and +40 degrees. . The gear will function exactly the same way in either temperature, and neither temperature will have any effect on the longterm condition of the gear.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Dec 08, 2017 18:47 |  #13

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18513714 (external link)
Tom,

Thank you for responding. I should be a bit less cautious, I'm sure.

I've heard horror stories of nice lenses full of fungus, but it's probably rare.

Fungus grows where there is sustained high humidity - like near 100% humidity. This can happen if you put wet gear away in a closed bag. Happened to me! I didn't notice that there was a wad of snow on the bottom of my camera bag. I put it down in the basement and a couple weeks later found the bag (and all the gear in it) full of fungus.

Fungus also grows in humid tropical areas where the humidity goes to 100% during the night. When you see dew, the humidity is 100%. If your gear is inside with AC, you should be fine, because AC reduces the humidity. But leaving it out is asking for trouble.

When I say "humidity", I mean relative humidity. RH changes all the time during the day. It varies with temperature and also with water evaporating from the soil and transpiring from vegetation. It gets lower as the air gets warmer and higher as it cools. In humid places, it will drop to 100% in the evening. That's when you see dew on the cars and grass - and on your camera.

It is handy to have a camera in the car just in case, but obviously there are risks. Fungus would not be one of them if it is freezing. But conditions vary and the humidity will be high at times. That could drain the battery and lead to corrosion even if you don't get fungus.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

shocolite
Joined Mar 2014
Ireland (when I do get home!)
Dec 08, 2017 20:50 |  #14

IMO, condensation of the lens/sensor whenever moving from colder to warmer conditions would be the worst of my worries. I reckon the camera gear itself is pretty hardy with the exception of the battery - in extreme heat I would worry about it overheating/exppanding and especially so if using (cheaper) 3rd party batteries. And I would be less worried with ambient heat than direct heat (such as strong sunlight - especially through glass)!

Canon 80D & 700D; EF-S 10-18/18-55/18-135 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS USM, 50 F1.4, 100 F2.8L Macro, 16-35 F4L, 70-200 F4L IS; 100-400 L II, Speedlite 430EX II

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,268 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Dec 09, 2017 00:01 |  #15

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18513733 (external link)
No I am not, Wilt.

There is no difference between 120 degrees and 90 degrees, with respect to it's effect on camera gear. . Neither temperature will lead to any problem whatsoever with the gear.

Neither is there any difference between -12 degrees and +40 degrees. . The gear will function exactly the same way in either temperature, and neither temperature will have any effect on the longterm condition of the gear.

...and when the operational range of 50 Celcius (122 Fahrenheit) is exceeded inside the car?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

681 views & 6 likes for this thread
Cameras(gear)in car during extreme temps-
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.